Can't Have You [[five]]

Main Story: Can't Have You // Subin's Side Story: Pushin' Me Away

 

The next morning it was difficult for me to wake up again.  It wasn't because of the weather today, but it was my throat, my head, and my body.  Every move I made, my head throbbed.
 
 
Since I was in no mood to get up, I stayed in bed.  I closed my eyes and the next thing I knew I was being shaken awake.  My whole body felt like it was now bruised... I ached everywhere.  I opened my eyes to see my dad.
 
 
"It's 8:00 Hayoung.  Aren't you going to school?"
 
 
"My body hurts too much... and my head... and my throat."  My voice came out all scratchy and it hurt to talk.
 
 
My dad put his hand on my head.  "You're burning up.  It looks like you have the flu.  Get some rest, I'll bring you some medicine."
 
 
As soon as he walked out my eyes immediately shut on their own.  I then had the strangest dream...
 
 
In my dream was Baek Jinwoo.  He was sick, like me... laying alone in a bed in an empty house.  As time kept passing by Jinwoo's condition was getting worse.  Since there was no one there to take care of him, it seemed like he would die in this state...
 
 
Suddenly I woke up to a loud annoying beeping sound.  It was my alert sound coming from my phone.  I guess I should have called or texted Minjoo.  It was 11:30am and I had over 30 missed texts and 17 missed calls.
 
 
The texts started out normal and calm, then they turned angry and crazy.  The last one ended with 'Where the hell are you, you ?!  Why the hell are you ditching school without me?  Are you with Baek Jinwoo??!'
 
 
Why would Jinwoo's name come up?  Why would I be with Baek Jinwo??  I texted Minjoo back.  'Who are you calling a ?? :p Sorry, I have the flu, I am taking a sick day.  I would have texted you earlier but I was knocked out all morning... and why would  you bring up Jinwoo's name?  Why would I be with him?"
 
 
About five minutes later all I got was a measly 'Tch' from Minjoo.  She didn't answer my question...
 
 
My mom came into the room.  "How are you feeling?"
 
 
"Better..."  My headache was gone, but that was it.  The rest of me still felt horrible.  My mom handed me some rice porridge and medicine.  After eating everything I ended up falling asleep again...
 
 
And when I opened my eyes again I saw Minjoo sitting at the edge of my bed.  She had a store bought rice porridge in her hands.  I sat up in bed, smiling.
 
 
"Tch.  Don't smile.  I could have totally cut school today if you had called me."
 
 
"I'm sorry.  Next time I'm sick I'll be sure to call you first thing!"  We both laughed it off.  She heated up the porridge for me and the two of us watched TV in my room.
 
 
"Hey, what's this?"  Minjoo noticed Jinwoo's black hoodie that was folded along with my school uniform.
 
 
"This is a guy's... who's hoodie is this??"
 
 
"No one important.  Let's watch this drama.  I heard it's supposed to be really good."
 
 
"Name?"
 
 
"It's called Gho--"
 
 
"Not the name of the drama!  Stop trying to change the subject on me Choi Hayoung."
 
 
I stayed in silence for a while with Minjoo staring me.  I knew I had to tell her.  Otherwise she would keep pestering me about it until she got an answer.
 
 
"Baek Jinwoo..."
 
 
Minjoo's eyes turned huge.  "WHAT??"
 
 
I looked at her as if she was crazy.  It's not THAT shocking...
 
 
"Why??  Did he come over today?"
 
 
Why does she keep saying weird things... "Why would he come over my house??  He doesn't even know where I live.  He gave it to me yesterday when it was raining... it was a way of thanking me for helping him out..."
 
 
I already knew what was coming... "What?  When did you help him?  With what?"
 
 
I sighed.  I was trying to tell her all day yesterday so I might as well tell her now.  I explained to Minjoo the whole situation with the pretty unnie and how I had to pretend  I was his girlfriend.  Then I told her about the PC cafe.  After I was done talking Minjoo said something unexpected.
 
 
"I told you he likes you."
 
 
"What?? Don't be crazy Minjoo."
 

She smiled the same way she did the other day when she said the same thing.  "Anyways, you know what's weird?  Baek Jinwoo wasn't in school today either.  I overheard some of his fan club 2nd years talking about it today.  He's also sick or something..."
 
 
My heart skipped a beat.  The dream I had came back into my head.  That's so weird... but, it's probably just a coincidence.  It's not like I'm a psychic...
 
----------
 
The next day I was feeling a lot better and so I was able to go to school.  On my way I got a call from Minjoo.
 
 
"Are you going to school today?"
 
 
"Yep.  See you there~"
 
 
"Damn."  She hung up the phone.  I laughed at the disappointment in her voice.
 
 
The school day went by as usual except that I had more work piled up for me since I was absent yesterday.  Why was there so much work done on a day I couldn't attend??  I decided to skip out on lunch and finish up the remaining worksheets.  When I was finished there was still time left before the end of lunch time.  I decided to reward myself with something from the vending machines.
 
 
As I got a drink, two 2nd years came by where I was standing.  I couldn't help but over hear their conversation since I heard a familiar name...
 
 
"Jinwoo sunbae isn't in school today either."
 
 
"What if he's really sick??"
 
 
"That since he lives by himself..."
 
 
I suddenly felt really lightheaded... I took my bottle of juice and started heading back to the classroom.  He missed two days of school?  He's weaker than I thought... He didn't even stay out in the rain for that long.  But then again, if he's living by himself and has no one taking care of him...
 
 
I saw Minjoo coming back from the cafeteria and I grabbed her arm, pulling her aside.  "I just heard some girls talking about Jinwoo... he lives by himself?"
 
 
Minjoo looked at me suspiciously.  "Yeah... I heard he ran away from home and no matter what his parents say he won't go back.  They own that big building near the Shinsegae department store in Kangnam. They're rich and Jinwoo didn't want to be a part of that or something... I'm not really sure, it's just what I heard.  I'm sure there's a real story behind it.  But anyways, his parents bought Jinwoo his own place to stay since they didn't want him living on the streets.  He lives in the Jooang apartment building two blocks down from here... but... why do you care?"
 
 
"Oh... I just thought that it was weird for a high schooler to be living by himself..."  Minjoo was about to say something else but luckily the bell rang and I so I ran back to my desk.  I didn't need Minjoo saying something crazy to me.
 
 
But, the rest of the day I kept getting bothered by own crazy thoughts.  The dream that I had kept popping up into my head.  I kept remembering the look on Jinwoo's face... the look that looked like he was dying...
 
 
If Jinwoo has no one living with him, would he be able to take care of himself even when he's sick?  Wouldn't his parents check up on him regularly?  I kept remembering how I could barely move yesterday because it ached so much...
 
 
What am I doing...?  Why am I worrying so much about Baek Jinwoo??