06

Living Hell [HIATUS]

 

            ‘In other news, the famous boy band SHINee has just arrived in Korea. Hundreds – no, thousands of fans have flooded the airport just to see them. It’s amazing how popular these five boys are after just four years,’ the anchorman announced as he turned to his colleague.

            ‘It truly is remarkable! Such handsome young men; I can’t wait to see how far they go,’ the anchorwoman replied before chuckling an artificial laugh along with the man.

            “What plastics,” I scoffed at the newscast after turning the television off. My arms stretched above my head as a groan escaped my lips. Once done, I slouched into the couch and threw my left arm lazily over Yuri’s shoulder.

            “Aren’t you excited though?” she smiled enthusiastically towards me. I just rolled my eyes in response and got off the couch. No way was I cuddling with her when her mind was revolved around Taemin. My feet automatically paced to Yuri’s kitchen to grab some pretzel sticks and a jar of Nutella. Once I retrieved my choice in snacks, I carried the items over to the white coffee table in front of the couch.

           “Not really,” I finally answered the pouting girl. Her pout grew before she nudged her head into my shoulder.

            “Youngminnie!” she cried while I dipped a pretzel right into the jar. I immediately threw the snack into my mouth, in pure bliss. Nutella makes everything taste a hundred times better. The girl continued to whine as she shook my arm viciously. However, the whole time, I just indulged in the heavenly snack, completely tuning out the girl. She gave up on shaking and resorted to hitting. A few bruises later and I finally gave her my undivided attention.

            “What?!” I complained before stuffing a few more Nutella pretzels in my mouth.

            “Were you not listening to me?”

            “… No,” I stated honestly as I continued to snack. That earned me another smack.

            “You are horrible.”

            “Just say it again.”

            “Taemin is here,” she announced. My jaw dropped as she got off the couch and went to the front door.

            “Why didn’t you say so sooner?” I exclaimed, completely worried about what I should do. I hope I can control myself in front of him. It should take everything within me to prevent myself from punching the daylights out of him. In fact, I could already feel myself beginning to shake.

            “I told you earlier that he texted me, saying he was on his way over,” she explained as she started to unlock the door. My heart rate began to accelerate, beating so hard against my chest that it ached. I placed a hand over my chest to comfort myself as I closed my eyes.

            “I’m sure you would like him,” Yuri boasted on and on about the boy. “He is a…”

            “A?” I questioned why she suddenly trailed off. Not that I minded; I’ve already heard about an hour’s worth of descriptions on the boy.

            “I meant he likes singing,” she laughed nervously as she corrected her ‘mistake’. I felt a little uneasy by the quivers in her giggles, but just pushed it off.

            “Whatever,” I grumbled in response.

            “You know, you are my best friend, so I’m going to want you to meet him eventually.”

            “Do I really have to?”

            “I would love it if you did.”

            “Why?”

            “Because I love you both, and it would mean the world to me if you guys were friends.”

            “I could never be friends with him,” I mumbled under my breath as I pulled my knees up to my chest. Yuri sat down next to me on the couch, staring at me worriedly.

            “What did you say?”

            “Nothing…”

            When I opened my eyes, it was like a nightmare come true. In front of me, Yuri and Taemin were embracing each other, eyes closed and no space between them. My heart panged immediately before I turned away. My stomach clenched as I felt the room begin to spin. I knew it was all my imagination, but I thought I was going to throw up anyways.

            “Oh, and this is my best friend, Youngmin,” I heard Yuri introduce me to her – ugh – boyfriend. Footsteps began to echo in the silent room. The sound resonated in my ears, pounding my ear drums roughly. When they stopped, I turned to see the famous Taemin standing before me with a huge grin.

            “So you are the Youngmin that I’ve heard so much about,” he laughed shyly while extending a hand. Not wanting to create unnecessary tension, I shakily reached for his hand and shook it. My arm immediately fell to my side when his grip loosened. His eyes slightly widened when that happened, but he let it go instantly.

            “A-and you are Taemin,” I said lowly while I avoided eye contact. My shoulder was suddenly hit, and I knew it was Yuri. She was probably telling me to loosen up. I internally scoffed at that thought. My rival is in front of me, and you expect me to try and be buddy-buddy with him?

            “No need to be shy,” Taemin laughed cutely again. “I know I’m famous and all, but I’m still a normal guy.”

            “Y-yeah,” I nodded. Internally, I scoffed again. Is this guy that shallow? Playing the ‘I’m famous’ card, really?

            “Thank you so much for watching over my Yuri,” he smiled shyly as he threw an arm over Yuri’s shoulders. “I hope she wasn’t too much trouble.” Yuri instantly pouted at the comment and playfully hit the pop star.

            “No, she was fine,” I reassured him with a smile. My eyes widened when I realized what I was doing. This guy’s laughter and smile – they seem so sincere; it’s contagious.

            “Why don’t you tell me about yourself?” he tried to engage conversation as the couple sat beside me with Taemin the closest.

            “He loves Winnie the Pooh,” Yuri pointed out before bursting in string of giggles. Taemin smiled happily in response to me.

            “I do too!” he cheered. “I mean, it’s a part of my childhood. I’m not going to let him go just because I’m an adult.” I jumped enthusiastically into the conversation without even realizing it.

            “Right? Yuri always made fun of me because I liked Pooh!” I exclaimed, happy that somebody understood me. Taemin gave me a friendly smile in reply. I began to freak out internally when I noticed what I was doing. This someone was Taemin, Yuri’s boyfriend. He is your enemy – your rival! I kept thinking, trying to remind myself. Since I stopped responding, Taemin turned his attention to the coffee table. He noticed the pretzels and Nutella, proceeding to grab a pretzel stick and dip it into the chocolate hazelnut spread.

            “Who was the one who chose this snack?” he asked in a seemingly harsh voice. I was slightly taken aback, but my inner self began cheering. I knew he wasn’t that great. I leaned forward in my seat to see that Yuri wasn’t fazed by his tone. Deciding that I should answer, I shyly raised my hand.

            “Guilty,” I slightly chuckled. His face suddenly brightened before he shoved the snack into his mouth. Soon after, he threw his arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug.

            “You are a genius!” he cheered as he wiggled, cuddling into me. I sat in shock as I glanced over at Yuri.

            “He’s a hugger,” she shrugged before laughing at my confused expression. After Taemin pulled away, we ended up having a fairly decent conversation. Since we were acquainted, Yuri joined in, adding topics and her opinions. We shared countless stories and laughs as time flew by.

            “And then Yuri followed the guy for a while until she realized it wasn’t her dad,” I finished the story. Taemin and I began to laugh obnoxiously as Yuri pouted at the two of us with her arms crossed over her chest.

            “He looked like him from behind,” she tried to defend herself.

            “When did you realize that the guy wasn’t your dad?” Taemin asked curiously.

            “When she saw – ha ha – something she liked and ran up to the guy to ask for money,” I explained through giggles. Taemin joined me again while Yuri sank further into her seat. As I laughed, I couldn’t stop my thoughts. I really didn’t believe that it was possible, but I actually like Taemin. He seems like a good guy. He was kind and funny just like Yuri had said. Although he was famous, he really was just a normal person. I just might be okay with him being with Yuri. Just as I thought that, my heart began to ache again.

            “Jerks,” Yuri grumbled. In response, Taemin leaned over and pecked her forehead gently. This got a smile and a few giggles out of the once grumpy girl. My eyebrows rose at this. Normally, it took more than just that for me to get that reaction out of her.

            “No, what did you say?” Yuri continued to interrogate me with her hands crossed over her chest. She seemed aggravated since I refused to answer her question, but I wasn’t going to budge.

            “Nothing, alright,” I repeated.

            “Seriously?”

            “Basically. All I said was ‘whatever’,” I lied swiftly. She seemed to buy it pretty quickly, much to my relief.

            “Then it is decided; you are going to meet him.”

            “What if I don’t like him?”

            “I would hope that you do.”

            “Why is this so important to you?”

            “Because he makes me happy!”

            My thoughts were interrupted by Yuri’s boisterous giggles that reverberated through the room. I turned to see Taemin and Yuri cuddled together, lightly kissing. However, I caught them a little late in the ‘light kissing’ phase. They were starting to shift to ‘heavy make out’ mode, and I felt like I was ready to vomit. Immediately, I stood from my seat obnoxiously to make a scene. The couple split apart and turned to see me. They looked slightly shocked, probably because they forgot I was there.

            “I – I think I’ll just go home,” I cleared my throat at the beginning awkwardly. The two just nodded.

            “I’ll see you tomorrow at school,” Yuri cheered. However, soon after, her attention turned to her boyfriend. They smiled lovingly as they stared deeply into each other’s eyes. My heart clenched and unclenched repeatedly. This was exactly like a scene from one of my favorite romance novels. I closed my eyes tightly. They were hopelessly in love; it was obvious.

            “Yuri!” I suddenly exclaimed as my eyes fluttered open. The couple turned to me again, confused on why I was still there.

            “Y-yes?” she asked, slightly frightened that I shouted. I breathed in deeply before looking into her eyes. I saw the love and joy beginning to dissipate since her attention was now focused on her best friend – not her boyfriend. I exhaled roughly before continuing.

            “Are… are you happy?” I courageously asked. Taemin seemed be lost at my sudden question, but I just ignored him. I was waiting for Yuri’s answer. The smile that spread so fully across her face basically said it all. If that wasn’t enough, the aura around her brightened and a few giggles escaped her lips.

            “Very,” she answered honestly. As soon as her answer was said, my whole demeanor gloomed. I felt my heart drop to the bottom of my stomach, filling the churning muscle. It was coming, I knew it. The need to throw up was immensely close; my heart was all it took to overflow the muscle.

            “Good,” I stated plainly, no emotion present in my voice. After that, I said nothing. I just trudged out of her apartment and ran into mine. I barreled through the door, dashed up the stairs and collapsed on the bathroom floor. My hands gripped tightly around the edge of the toilet bowl; my face buried deeply into the hole. My stomach tightened again as I felt my dinner rise up my stomach and to my esophagus.

            “Ugh!” I moaned as I threw up harshly into the toilet. A few coughs escaped my lips as one of my hands left the rim to rub my stomach. My mind flashed to the image of Yuri and Taemin kissing. Soon after, my stomach clenched and I, once again, threw up. My groans and moans filled resonated through the bathroom, only adding to my sad demeanor.

            Eventually, I managed to pull myself off the floor and flushed the toilet. The sound of the flushing came and went as I headed to the sink. I rinsed my mouth quickly, trying to get rid of the foul taste. Even though I added much water to bloat my cheeks and flushed it out, my mouth still tasted putrid. After a few more gulps, I gave up. The taste never left my mouth, but I couldn’t stand it anymore. My emotions began to flood out all at once.

            I collapsed on my bed as I felt the first tear slide down my cheek. Once it hit the pillow, two more followed soon after. The next thing I knew, my vision was blurred and I couldn’t breathe properly. My chest heaved as I wheezed, trying to gasp for air.

            “Yuri,” I cried as my fists roughly rubbed my eyes. I was then hit with scenes from memories, all involving the girl.

            “Youngmin! Push me!”

            “Youngminnie! But I really want to tell somebody.”

            “Come on! You have to tell me.”

            “Sorry, Younggie.”

            “Come over.”

            “Are you asking me out on a date, Youngminnie?”

            “I love you!” I managed to exclaim before crying again. “Why can’t you see that?”


 

Author's Note: Youngmin, I love you! :'( ugh, that poor kid. Taemin has officially came into the story. Well, I guess he was in, but he personally made an appearance. I wrote this chapter pretty quickly since I had a lot of time, but I never really checked it. When I reread it, it seemed pretty rushed. Please tell me if you guys think so too so I can go redo it later. :3 I really appreciate it guys. 

Out of curiosity, did you guys cry upon reading this chapter. Did you feel pity for Youngmin? It's sad how he just got a kiss two chapters ago, and he just got hit with reality. Anyways, if you guys think it's rushed, PLEASE TELL ME! :p I really want some advice, so I can grow as a writer :) but I have a lot planned for this story. I'm on point 36, and there is a total of 117 points. :p Points are just the things that I have planned out and want to hit before the end of the story. They are basically the plot and events that will happen. 

Anyways, if you guys think it is rushed, that'll probably mean I'll add more filler chapters, basically chapters of nothing real important. It'll be kind of like chapter 2 and 4, where they just so their daily lives and how close of friends they are. 

Question of the day: Do you guys have a tumblr? :) I would love to be close with my readers, so please share yours if you have one. Another thing, follow me too! :) Send me a message telling me you are a reader, so I can follow back :) I'd love to get to know y'all better and fan girl with y'all. haha. I have two: a personal one and a k-pop dedicated one! Please folow both! <3

Thanks for reading! Until next time :D