Chapter 9

Search

 

Heios and Kahe carried Seqr to the corner of the alleyway, positioning her so that she was sitting up. Kahe wiped the sweat from Seqr's forehead and neck. She looked so deathly pale and sick.

 

“She used her powers too much,” Kahe said. She sat down beside Seqr, Heios following her. Heios sighed and ran his hand through his hair.

 

“What do we do now? We could have used Seqr's power to teleport us to where the reincarnations are,” said Heios.

 

“I need to train her more. She fainted from teleporting the three of us. She needs more stamina,” Kahe explained. “And besides,” she continued, “I don't know which city they are in. I don't really know the water district since I've never been here before. They might be in the next city or the next.”

 

“How about I train my powers?” Heios asked. Kahe looked at him. He had a hopeful face on. Kahe sighed and nodded.

 

“Go ahead,” she said. Heios brightened up and looked around for something to heal. He spotted a wilting flower three feet from him and crawled towards it. He took a deep breath and placed his hands on the flower, just hovering above it. He closed his eyes and let out his feelings. Kahe watched as the flower grew stronger again, the stem straightening, its petals growing back. It was glowing white as his healing power seeped inside the flower. He's learning fast, Kahe thought.

 

Yes, he is.

 

Kahe jumped. What the heck was that?

 

Sorry about that. It's me, Healer. I forgot to tell you that I was going to talk in your mind.

 

Um, it's fine. Next time, just remind me.

 

Hehe. Yeah. I need to tell you this. Heios's power isn't just healing. It also causes death.

 

Death?!

 

Yes, he can't do it now but with more rigorous training, he can stop a heart or break a person's bones. He can negate or cure. He has great potential but he lacks motivation. His power is great, as great as the Fire or the Water. It might be more powerful. So keep in mind, healing can be dangerous.

 

So he can be as powerful as the Fire or the Water? Are you saying he might kill us?

 

No. That's not what I meant. He is dangerous if he chooses to side with the Red Shadow. But it's not likely that he will.

 

Okay then. And can you help us with finding the next reincarnations?

 

Remember what I said, Kahe. You will need it.

 

Okay! I will.

 

Sometimes, you are just so . . .

 

So what? Bleeeeh!

 

Kahe! Do you want me to help you or not?

 

Yes.

 

Then listen. The next reincarnations you are about to recruit are the most powerful ones an—

 

I thought healing was the most powerful one.

 

Kahe!

 

Sorry. Continue.

 

As I was saying, they are the most difficult ones to recruit. Wait, no. what—Fire, don't interrupt me. Okay, only the fire reincarnation would be the hard one to convince since he's the older twin. And he's really really overprotective.

 

Are you kidding me? You make him sound like a mom.

 

He kinda is. He took care of his brother since their parents died.

 

Oh.

 

Yeah, so try to convince him that it's his duty to protect his people, not just his brother. And besides, they're the same age. Sometimes the kid worries me. I mean, he's not five or anything.

 

You're funny.

 

As soon as she said it, she could hear laughter in her head. Healer started cursing as the laughter continued.

 

Oh my gosh, Kahe. Healer is not funny!

 

Who is this? Water?

 

Yeah. It's me. But that was funny. Anyway, I talked to you because the next reincarnation is water so I decided to help you out. The water will be the easiest to convince since he absolutely hates being bossed around by his brother. . . .Okay, not bossed around since Fire here is saying that he just cares about his brother. Bulls*** I say.

 

Kahe's mouth parted open. Did she just hear Water curse? Is it just me or he actually swore? Kahe thought.

 

You did not just say that.

 

Yes, Kahe I did. Sorry. Fire and I are slightly in the opposite zone since our powers reject each other.

 

O . . . kay then. How does the other spirits cope with you swearing?

 

They do it, too.

 

What?! They do? They don't seem like the type to do it.

 

Yeah. It might seem that way. But they don't do it in front of people. Only the spirits.

 

Where is the water reincarnation?

 

Mirsto City. The third city of the water district.

 

Ah. Thank you! Okay I should go back now. Heios is done doing his training. I'll talk to you later?

 

Yup. Bye bye!

 

The connection disappeared and she looked around. Heios was sleeping beside Seqr, snoring lightly. She chuckled quietly and sighed. I should sleep too, thought Kahe. She wriggled a bit before settling into a good position and rested her head on the wall. She closed her eyes and fell asleep.

 

 

 

Seqr was the first one to wake up. It felt like she had the best sleep in the whole world. She yawned and stretched, blinking groggily. She looked around and recalled memories of yesterday . . . or today? Was it nighttime already? Daytime? She couldn't really tell. The alleyway was dark, a few rays of light hitting the ground. That didn't help much. The light might be coming from the moon or a lamp. She turned her head and noticed a silhouette beside her. She squinted and found that it was Heios, who was snoring. His head kept dipping into different directions as he suddenly snorted, making Seqr giggle. She poked his forehead harshly and pretended to go back to sleep as soon as his head and body fell on the floor, creating a loud noise, waking him and Kahe up.

 

“Ow!” he moaned as his head collided with the ground. Seqr smirked but quickly put on a poker face when Kahe woke up, also awakened by the racket.

 

“What happened?” she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

 

“Ugh, my head hurts,” groaned Heios, touching his head. He could already feel a bump growing. The fall had been hard and painful.

 

“What happened?” Kahe asked again, fully awake now.

 

“I don't know. I woke up when my head hit the ground,” explained Heios. Kahe looked at Seqr, who had a light smile plastered on her face. Kahe sighed and nodded to Seqr.

 

“She did it,” Kahe said. Heios looked at her then back at Kahe.

 

“You sure?” he said. Kahe rolled her eyes.

 

“Dude, she's freaking awake! Look at her, she's smiling!”

 

Seqr laughed out loud and opened her eyes. She stared at the two before bursting into laughter again. Heios gave Kahe a look, and she held up her hands.

 

“Don't ask me.”