5

Search

 

Are you from the training district?” Heios asked, narrowing his eyes at them. Kahe gulped at his intense stare. Looking closely, the guy was good-looking and cute.

 

Kahe cleared and answered, “Yes. Why?”

 

“You just seem so familiar,” he mused. In a second, he harshly grasped her hand, pulling her to who-knows-where. Seqr ran after them and took hold of Kahe's other hand. Heios grunted as the weight increased but kept pulling them. They stopped at a huge building that said 'Hospital'.

 

“Why are we here?” Kahe asked. He just continued pulling Kahe until they reached a room. They entered it and saw a fragile-looking, small boy sleeping peacefully on a white bed. Kahe stole a look from Heios and saw him with tears in his eyes. Her expression softened.

 

“Is that someone close to you?” Seqr softly asked.

 

He nodded. “Yeah, my brother.”

 

“Oh,” both Kahe and Seqr said. They looked at each other, asking the same question. Seqr nodded her head to Kahe to ask it. She quickly shook her head and Seqr pouted. She glared at her. Kahe sighed.

 

“Why haven't you used your powers?” Kahe carefully asked.

 

“I don't know how to,” he simply answered, shrugging. Both girls gaped at him. He was supposed to have some knowledge on how to use his powers. This is gonna be hard, Kahe thought.

 

“We'll train you,” Kahe offered, holding out her hand. He looked at it and back at Kahe. His face darkened.

 

“No.”

 

“What? Why?” Kahe frantically asked. The unicorn's words were true?

 

“You just want my power!” he shouted, adding, “And besides, I can't leave him.”

 

“We're not what you think we are, He—“

 

“Good evening, Heios! How's your brother doing? Oh . . . we have visitors.”

 

All three heads turned to the person who spoke. Heios's eyes widened. Not him again, he thought.

 

“Who's that?” demanded Kahe. She could see that the man was just acting nice. He was a fake. And she despised fakes. Heios ignored her question and turned to the man who spoke to them.

 

“Why are you here?” Heios asked sternly. The man smiled cheerfully and skipped over to them.

 

“To visit your brother of course, and to talk about the offer,” he said, seriousness oozing from the last phrase.

 

“I already said no!” Heios snapped. But the man wasn't fazed and kept smiling.

 

“Oh, come on. It's a great offer. We heal your brother; you give us your power.” The man chuckled evilly. Kahe and Seqr could see it in his eyes. Greed.

 

“Get out,” whispered Heios. The man sighed but left. Heios sank into a chair and put his head in his hands. His shoulders were shaking softly. Kahe could see he was trying to hold back his tears but was failing.

 

“B-brother, don't . . . cry. It's not . . . your f-fault.”

 

Heios looked up and saw his little brother's face staring at him. He got up and quickly walked over to him.

 

“Are you okay, Halib? Do you need anything?” he asked, concern all over his face. Halib smiled and Kahe knew that it hurt to smile. His face was scrunched up as he struggled to lift the corners of his mouth into a so-called smile. Kahe gazed at him with sympathy. If Heios knew how to use his powers, then Halib would be completely fine.

 

“I-I'm fine, Heios. Don't worry about me,” he rasped. Heios gently flicked his brother's forehead.

 

“Ow!” he cried, rubbing his forehead.

 

“How can I not worry about you! You're my little brother!” Heios laughed, a real laugh. Kahe smiled. So cute, she thought, watching them interact and talk.

 

A nurse walked in and said, “Visiting hours is over. Please leave.” She closed the door and left, leaving a huge silence on their shoulders.

 

“Well, I gotta go. But tomorrow I'll be here,” Heios murmured to his brother, who was gently dozing off.

 

“O . . . kay. I love you, brother,” Halib muttered, his eyes closing. Heios leaned in and kissed him on the forehead.

 

“Love you, too,” he whispered. Kahe smiled bitterly. She was jealous. She had no family. No one to take care of. No one to share secrets with. She sighed. Again, she was comparing herself with somebody else. Heios turned around and gave a look at Kahe, who was still smiling. He gave her a befuddled look. Why is she smiling? Heios thought.

 

“I'm leaving. You should too,” he advised. He walked to the door but Seqr stopped him.

 

“Kahe, you go ahead. Find us a place to sleep in,” Seqr said, giving Kahe signals. Thankfully, she understood and nodded, exiting the room. Kahe walked outside in the freezing winds but froze when a voice spoke.

 

“So. You're the chosen one?”

 

We can save your brother,” Seqr said once Kahe was out of the room. Heios looked at her like she grew five heads.

 

“I told you. I don't know how to heal!” he argued, giving her a glare. Seqr sighed. This is gonna be really hard, she thought.

 

“We'll train you, Heios. You're one of us. A reincarnation of one of the twelve spirits,” she explained. Heios stared at her and burst out laughing. Tears came out of his eyes as he clutched his stomach.

 

“You're kidding me, right? That's one good joke there!” he laughed. Seqr got irritated and rushed forward to grab his collar. She looked at him in the eye and Heios instantly knew she wasn't joking.

 

“You want your brother to die? Just because you can't trust us?” Seqr shouted, shaking him. Heios just stared at her blankly. My brother. I can't let him die, he thought. He struggled to get out of her grip and stepped back.

 

“I never wanted my brother to die. Do you think it's easy to trust people these days when they just want your power?” he questioned, glowering at Seqr.

 

“We're not like that. I have proof that you can trust us,” Seqr replied. She showed him her space necklace.

 

“This is a symbol of one of the spirits. Yours is a unicorn. The healer. If you mastered your power you can save your brother,” explained Seqr.

 

“It's a necklace. So? Anybody can have a necklace that looks like a unicorn,” he pointed out. Seqr sighed. This is gonna take forever, she thought.

 

“Did you see Kahe's bag glowing?” she asked impatiently. Heios tried to recall if that ever happened and it did. A fragment of that memory showed up in his mind. He had seen Kahe hide something white behind her back when they were talking. He didn't really care about it until now.

 

“Yeah, I saw it but why was it glowing?”

 

“Every time we get close to a reincarnation one of the necklaces glow,” Seqr said. “It started glowing when you came to save us.”

 

“Oooh,” Heios said, understanding.

 

“Will you come with us then?” Seqr asked carefully, watching his expression.

 

“I'll . . . think about it. Just wait,” Heios answered hesitantly. Seqr sighed. Better than nothing, she thought.

 

“Well, I better get going then. Just call us or something,” Seqr said, waving goodbye and turning around. She stopped in her tracks when shivers went down her spine. Something happened. Something bad happened. Her head shot up. Kahe!

 

Seqr tore the door open and ran outside. She looked around and saw a shadow disappear. She stealthily made her way and froze at what she saw.

 

“Kahe!”