SIM - Chapter 2

Schooling in America[On Hiatus]

Chapter 2

Minako lets out a sigh as the bell rings. “The day is finally over with.” she says laying her head on the desk. Samona looks at her. “For you it is.” she says as they pack up their things. Minako looks at her. “You hardly have to even pay attention in our classes. This doesn’t count.” she says. Samona shrugs. “Well then my day begins later when I go to work.” she says as they pick up their bags.

 

“Where do you work at?” Henry asks as the four walk out the room. Samona turns to him. “There’s a restaurant not too far from here. I work there after school.” she says. Kyuhyun looks at Minako. “Do you work too?” he asks. Minako shakes her head. “No. I can’t.” she says. Henry and Kyuhyun raise a brow. “Why not?” they ask. Minako points to Samona.

 

“According to Samona, I’m ‘not allowed’ to get a job.” Minako says. The two boys look at Samona. “What? I don’t want her to have to worry about a job when she needs to focus on school.” she says. “Truth be told, Raina-Unni isn’t allowed to have a job either. Only reason she’s the principal’s assistant is because it gives her something to do during the time me and Minako are at school.” she explains.

 

“Samona likes to take care of people.” Minako says. “She takes care of finical things so that me and Raina can focus on what we need to.” she explains. Henry and Kyuhyun look at Samona. “Well what about you? Should you be focusing on schooling?” Henry asks. Samona shakes her head. “Nope, don’t need to. Did it all already.” she says.

 

“Hey you guys.” The four look ahead of them to see Raina standing at the school’s entrance. With her were the other 13 members. “Oh, you all are already here.” Samona states as the four stops in front of the group. “Good, then I can introduce you all to my younger sister, Minako.” she says. Minako waves at them. “Nice to see you all again.” she says. The group looks at Samona, then to Minako, and back at Samona. “Younger sister?” Kangin asks.

 

Minako turns to him. “We’re twins, but ‘technically’ I’m two minutes younger.” she explains. The group nods. “Is someone coming to pick you guys up?” Samona asks. The group shakes their head. “SM rented a house not too far from here for us to stay in.” Donghae states. Samona nods. “Which way are you guys going?” she asks. As the group points one way, Samona nods. “Same way as us.” she says. “Guess we’re walking together.” she says. With that, they all begin walking down the street.

 

“So what made you guys choose America?” Raina asks. Some of the boys shrug. “We like it when we came here for SM Town. And we wanted to come back.” Ryeowook explains.

“Oh. But there are a lot of different places to choose from, why here?” Minako asks.

“Because we can keep a low profile here.” Hangeng says.

“Ah, that is true. Sadly not many people in this city listen to K-pop/C-pop.” Samona says.

“But there are a lot of people who knows of the group’s name because of the craze that ‘Sorry, Sorry’ made.” Raina says.

“At least we are known.” Leeteuk says.

“You guys should do a tour in America. That would get everyone listening to you.” Minako says.

“The company is thinking about having us do more international things.” Shindong says.

“That’s good because you guys got ELFs literally all over the world.” Samona says.

“It’s fun meeting them.” Sungmin says.

 

“Oh that reminds me. You girls have been to some of the fan meeting.” Kibum says. The three nods. “They’re the Nagases.” Siwon says. The three girls smile. “That is correct. So you remember us?”  Raina asks.

“I remember taking pictures with you three at some of the meetings.” Heechul says.

“I remember meeting you three backstage at one of the SM Town concerts.” Yesung states.

“Oh, that’s right; I think I was introduced to you by one of the f(x) girls.” Zhoumi states.

“You three seem to be very connected.” Eunhyuk says.

 

Samona nods. “Yes, we are.” she says. “You guys will find that out sooner or later.” she says. Minako looks at the boys. “So how longs are you guys staying here?” she asks.

“SM was thinking about keeping us here for the rest of the school year.” Henry says.

“What about events that you guys have to do across seas?” Raina asks.

“Whenever there’s one that we need to go to, they’ll inform us and make plans for us to go back.” Leeteuk says.

“When does the show for you all being here start airing?” Samona asks.

“We think that the first episode will be airing around the time we film the last episodes.” Kyuhyun explains.

“Ah, it must be fun being able to film another reality show, especially this time with all 15 of you.” Minako says.

“Yeah, hopefully we have as must fun as we did during the other shows.” Sungmin says.

 

“You guys are so lucky. Wish I could have my own reality show.” Raina says. Samona turns and looks at her. "Yes, because everyone wants to see the life of a Principle’s assistant.” she says. Raina lightly pushes Samona away. “Maybe they should film you, little Miss. Genius.” she says. Minako shakes her head. “They’ll get the same result. We practically live our lives as one with just us.” she states. Raina blinks. “That is true.” she says.

 

“Just us?” Kangin asks. “You girls don’t live with your parents?” he asks. The three girls shake their heads. “No we live alone. Just the three of us.” Raina states. The boys nod. “Oh, you must miss them though.” Ryeowook says. The girls nod. “Yeah, but it’s fine. We talk with our family throughout the week to make sure that everyone is fine.” Minako says.

 

Samona sighs and stretches. Stopping in front of a white house, Samona turns when she notices that the boys weren’t behind them anymore. Raina and Minako also turn around. The boys stood in front of a different house. “Hey guys why did you stop?” Raina asks. The boys turn to them. “Oh this is the house SM rented for us.” Kibum says as he follows the others up to the porch of the light blue house in front of them.

 

Samona looks at her sisters with wide eyes. “They’re next door.” she says. Minako smiles before dragging her twin toward the porch of the white house. “Don’t have a heart attack. I bet this is Papa’s idea of a joke.” Minako says as they stood behind Raina who was unlocking the door. As the door opens, the two follows Raina into the house. The three takes off their shoes before going farther into the house.

 

Samona walks into the living room and sits her bag down on the floor next to the couch. “Samona what time do you have to go to work?” Raina asks as she and Minako follows her into the living room. Samona looks down at her watch. “In like half an hour.” she says. Raina looks at her. “Half an hour?” she asks. Samona nods. “Yeah, Jin-Sang had a family emergency and asked he asked me to cover his shift.” she explains.

 

“Well, what time do you get off?” Minako asks. Samona tilts her head. “Umm… Either 2 or 3.” she replies. Raina turns to her. “What? Samona that’s like a 10-11 hour shift.” she replies. Samona shrugs. “Yeah, it’s okay.” she says. Minako shakes her head. “Sister, you promised that you’ll help me with my school work tonight.” she says. Samona nods. “Okay and I will.” she says. Raina crosses her arms. “And how will you do that?” she asks.

 

“Minnie, just come to the café when I’m on break. I go on break at 9 and I stay on break until 10. So that’s an hour. And if you need help after that, just stay longer and I’ll help you in my spare time.” Samona explains. Minako nods. “But Samona, don’t forget about your health.” Raina says. Samona nods. “I’m healthy okay. Don’t worry.” she says. “But I am hungry. Can you make me something to eat?” she asks.

 

Raina raises a brow. “Why can’t you do it?” she asks. Samona picks back up her bag. “Because I need to go shower and change for work.” she says. “Thank you.” she adds before walking up the stairs. Minako looks at Raina before sitting down on the couch. “She’ll be okay.” Minako says. Raina nods. “Yeah…” she says. “But as an older sister, I still worry.” she says before turning and walking to the kitchen.

 

~~20 minutes later~~

Raina walks into the living room and sits down on the couch next to Minako, who was reading a book. “Has Samona come down yet?” she asks. Minako shakes her head. Raina stands back up. “Samona come on. You have about 8 minutes!” she shouts up the stairs. A second later a knock comes from the front door. “Minako, can you get that?” Raina asks before walking up the stair.

 

“Just a minute!” Minako calls as she sits down her book and standing up. She then walks over to the door. Minako opens the door to reveal the boys of Super Junior and a cameraman. “Oh, hello Oppas.” she greets. “What are you guys doing here?” she asks. The boys smile. “Well, we’re new neighbors and it seems no one lives in the house on the other side of us. So you girls are our neighbors.” Leeteuk explains.

 

“Well then come on in.” Minako says as she steps to the side and opens the door farther. Each boy walks into the house, bowing and taking off their shoes before walks to the living room. Just as Minako shuts the door, Raina walks down the stairs. “Hi boys.” she greets. Minako turns to her older sister. “Help me get some chairs for them.” she says. Raina nods before following her sister down the hall.

 

A minute later the girls come back with a few chairs so that everyone was able to sit down. “So since you boys are staying next door, welcome to the neighborhood.” Raina says. “If you need anything just ask.” she adds. The boys nod.  “It’s our first day and we already have someone to help us here. Thank you.” Ryeowook says. The girls nod. “Oh, where’s Samona?” Kibum asks. Minako points upward. “She’s getting ready to go to work.” she informs.

 

“So it’s you guys first day here. What are you guys planning to do?” Raina asks. The boys shrug. “Don’t know yet.” Sungmin replies.

“What is there to do here?” asks Shindong.

“Umm, well, you can go to the movies, go shopping, go to the park. I don’t know, just the regular things.” Minako says.

“Well it is our first day here, so what about places to eat?” Donghae asks.

“Well one of the closest restaurants is Truth.” Raina replies.

“We usually go there when no one wants to cook.” Minako says.

“Okay, so what about the other places we should know about?” Yesung asks.

“Oh, well there’s a grocery store a couple of blocks over.” Minako informs.

“There are also a few other stores where you can get your general items from.” Raina adds.

“So it should be hard to find these places?” Kangin asks. Minako and Raina shake her heads.

 

Raina stands up. “Be right back.” she says before walking toward the stairs. “Sammie! Come on, you’re going to be late!” she shouts from the bottom of the chairs. She then walks to the kitchen and picks up a lunch bag that she has prepared for Samona. Seconds later, Samona runs down the stairs. She wore a dark blue shirt and straight-leg blue jeans under a black skirt. “Hi guys.” she greets trying to put on her visor.

 

Samona slides on her shoes as Raina walks out the kitchen and over to her. “I couldn’t find the visor I usually wore.” Samona says. As she stands up straight, Raina holds out the lunch bag. “Well you better hurry, you only have a few minutes.” she says.  Samona nods, taking the bag. “Thank you. See you all later. Love ya.” Samona says before opening the front door and running out. Raina shuts the door behind her sister before walking back to the others.

 

“Hey this isn’t Samona, is it?” The others turn to see Henry looking at one of the pictures on the wall. It was a picture of a woman and boy. “Oh, no that’s a picture of our Mom and brother.” Raina says. “Look at the picture next to it and you’ll see six of us. Our Mom, Dad, Grandfather, Brother and us.” she informs.  The boys move to look at the other picture. “Oh, Myung Ki.” Siwon says out loud.

 

“That’s right, you knew our brother.” Minako says to Siwon. Siwon nods. “Knew?” Zhoumi asks. Siwon turns and looks at the two girls. Minako scratches the back of her head. “Oh, well our brother and Mom died years ago.” she says. Raina nods. “Oh, umm, then where’s your father and grandfather?” Heechul asks. Raina turns to him. “They’re in Seoul. My grandfather lives there and our dad went to help him out.” she answers.

 

“Oh, really? So have you girls lived in Seoul too?” Eunhyuk asks.

“Yeah, we’re lived in different parts of South Korea too.” Minako says.

“We’re also lived in Japan and China too.” Raina adds.

“Wow, so you girls have traveled?” Hangeng asks.

“Yeah well our mom was Korean and African American and our Dad is Chinese and Japanese. So we have moved a couple of times and traveled to see family.” Raina explains.

“Have you girls ever thought about moving back to one place?” Hangeng asks.

“Yeah, there’s a chance that we might be moving back to Seoul, so that we’re close to out Dad and Grandfather.” Minako says.

 

Kyuhyun looks down at his watch. “Oh, guys we have to go.” he says. The others also look at their watches. “Oh yeah, we have a meeting.” Leeteuk says. With that the group stands up. As they walk to the door and put on their shoes, Ryeowook turns to the girls. “Tonight we’ll have to go to that restaurant you mentioned. You said it was near right?” he asks. The two girls nod. “Yes. That’s right.” Minako says.

 

“Oh, well, we’ll be going there around 8 tonight to eat also. If you guys want, you can join us.” Raina suggest. The boys nod. “That’ll be great.” Donghae says. With that the boys say their byes as they walk out the door. Raina shuts the door before following Minako back to the living room and sitting down. Minako looks at her older sister. “I bet Papa did this.” she says. Raina nods. “I was thinking the same thing.” she says.

 

Minako picks up her book from the table. “I wonder if grandfather knows about this.” she says. Raina shrugs. “Well you know him and Papa are always doing something. So I think they’re both behind this.” she replies. Minako nods before opening her book. “Well, we’ll find out sooner or later.” she says.