Chapter 1

Schooling in America[On Hiatus]

Chapter 1

 

A girl with black shoulder length hair focuses on the book she held as she walks to class. “Excuse me, Miss?” a voice calls.  The girl stops walking. Pushing her glasses up to her face she looks up to see a boy with black hair standing in front of her. “Oh, hi Leeteuk. What do you need?” she asks before looking back at her book. The boy stares at her. “You know my name?” he asks. The girl nods. “Of cou-” she immediately stops and stares at her book. She then looks up at the boy with wide eyes. “Wait…Lee-Leeteuk?” she asks.

 

When the boy nods, she blinks again. She then leans to the side and looks over his shoulder to see 14 other boys standing behind him. “Oh my Siwon.” she whispers to herself as her books fall from her arms. Seeing the girl’s reaction, Leeteuk begins to worry. “Hey are you okay?” he asks waving a hand in front of her face. Jumping a little, the girl takes a step backwards and lets out a nervous laugh. “Yeah, I’m okay.” she says. She then bends down and quickly picks up her books.

 

“Okay, Miss…” Leeteuk stops speaking and looks at her. The girl looks up at him. “Oh, Samona.” she states. Leeteuk nods. “Miss. Samona, do you…know the… way to the… main office?” he asks. Samona nods. “I’ll show you.” she says. Leeteuk smiles and nods. “Thank you.” he says. Samona nods and was about to take a step but stops. She then looks back at Leeteuk. “Wait…What are idols like you guys doing here, in America, in this state, in this city?” she asks.

 

Leeteuk raises a brow and looks behind toward two of the boys. “Siwon? Henry?” he asks. Before either of the boys could say anything, Samona does an understanding gesture. “Oh, umm, museun migug-e neo gat-eun nomdeul-eun yeogiseo mwohaneun usang, ileon sangtaeeseo, i dosieissneun geongayo?” she asks. The group turns and looks at her in surprise. “You know Korean?” Henry asks. Samona nods. “Japanese and Chinese too.” she replies. “Dangsin-eun dangsin-i bilog dangsin-ui yeong-eo keullaeseueseo malhalgeoya al-a maj-jyo?” The group nods. A second later, the sound of a bell rings throughout the air.

 

“Come on, I’ll show you to the office.” Samona says. The boys nod and follow her as she turns and walks away. “Oh, to answer your question; We wanted to see what it was like going to an American college, so SM made arrangements for us.” Siwon explains. Samona nods. “The company is going to treat it like a reality show though and film us while we’re here.” Henry adds. Samona looks at them. “But having cameras following you guys around would attract attention.” she states.

 

“We know that’s why we’re using micro-cameras.” Kyuhyun states. Samona raises a brow and looks at him. “Because as you stated, big camera are very obvious, when we are on campus or out of the house, we are to wear micro-cameras. That way they’ll be able to record what’s going on doing or school day. ”he explains. Samona nods. “Okay, but they’ll only give the crew first person views. What about when they need a third person view of someone during a class or something?” she asks.

“Oh well SM got permission to put up cameras in the classrooms we have and the hallways. Also put cameras around outside on the campus.” Kibum explains. Samona nods.

 

After a few minutes, the group walks inside of a building. Walking down the hall the group walks into an open door. Samona immediately runs up to the desk when a woman with long brown hair sat. “Raina-Unni, look up right now and look who’s behind Me.” she whispers orderly. Raina sighs. “Okay, who is it th-” Raina stops as she looks at the boys. “Oh my Siwon.” she says. “Hey guys.” she greets them waving. Raina then looks at Samona. “I’m not seeing things right?” she asks. Samona shakes her head. “They’re here for schooling.” she says. Raina begins to nod her head but stops.

 

“Wait a second.” she says. She then pushes a button on the intercom that sat on her desk. “Mr. M, sir, I think the boys you were waiting on are here.” Raina informs before removing her finger. A second later a man comes out of a door to the side. Looking around, he spots Samona. “What are you doing here so early? Are you in trouble already?” he asks. Samona turns to him. “What do you mean, classes just started. How can I get in trouble so quickly?” she asks. Raina looks up at her. “Well there was that one time…” she starts.

 

“Hey, that was an accident. And that was cleared up. You two can’t use that against me.” Samona states. Mr. M nods. “Okay then, what are you doing here?” he asks. Samona points to the boys. “I was showing the guys the way here.” she informs. Mr. M looks from the boys to her. “Oh, so you know them?” he asks. A laugh from Raina answered him. The boys and Mr. M looks turn to Raina. “Sorry Sir, I didn’t mean to laugh, but what you just said is completely an understatement.” she says.

 

Mr. M looks at Samona. “Really?” he asks. Samona looks up at the clock on the wall. “Well, look at the time. It seems I’m late for class.” she states. Raina shakes her head. “When have you ever worried about being somewhere on time?” Mr. M asks. Samona shrugs. “Well with the classes I have now, never, but my Koko is waiting on Me.” she says as she holds her hand out toward Raina. Raina sighs before handing Samona a piece of paper. “Tell her I got tonight covered.” she says.

 

Samona nods and takes the paper. She then turns to the boys. “Bye guys. Wish I could hang out with you all but got class.” she says. “Bye Unni.” Samona adds before turning and walking out the door. Raina turns to the Mr. M. “You know when you told me that 15 new students were coming at the same time, I jokely said, who are these guys trying to be, Super Junior? When I said that I didn’t think it was actually them.” she states. “You should have told me.” she says. Mr. M nods. “I will next time.” he says.

 

Mr. M then turns to the boys. “Why don’t you all follow me, I’ve been waiting for you to arrive.” he says. The group nods and follows him in the office.

 

~~~ ~~ ~~~ ~~ ~~~

 

Samona lets out a breath as she walks out of the building. “Ah, this is so cool.” she says as she walks toward another building. A minute later she walks into another building. She sighs before walking into a class room. “Good morning all. Sorry I’m late sir.” she greets. The teacher stood next to his desk. “Oh, good I was just taking attendance while they tried the problem on the board.” he says. “Why are you late today?” he asks. Samona walks up to him and hands him a note. “I ran into a group of new students and I had to show them to the main office.

 

“A group?” the teacher asks. Samona nods and smiles. “Yeah, 15 of them.” she says. She then goes to sit down. She sits down next to a girl with long black hair that goes to the middle of her back. “Minako, Raina wanted me to tell you that she has tonight covered.” she says sitting down. The girl nods and looks at her. “Where were you?” she asks. Samona looks at her. “I had to show some new students where the main office was.” she says. “You are not going to freaking believe who they are.” she says talking a hold of Minako’s arm and shakes her.

 

“You seem too excited, just who is it, Super Junior?” Minako asks. Samona stops shaking her and stares at her. “How did you know?” she asks. Minako stops writing and turns to Samona. “What do you mean? Are you seriously telling me that Super Junior is at our school? As students?” she asks. Minako blinks. “You got to be kidding Me.” she says. Samona shakes her head. “No I’m serious.” she says. Minako shakes her head. “I don’t believe you.” she says.

 

Before Samona could say something, the teacher calls to her. “Samona, could you please explain how to solve this problem for us?” he asks. Samona nods and stands up. “Of course Sir, that’s what I’m here for.” she says. She then walks to the front of the room and to the teacher. The teacher hands Samona a piece of chalk. “Thank you.” she says before walking to the board. She stops in front of the board where the problem was drawn. She then turns toward the class.

 

“Okay class, as we all know, the mathematics that we do in this class is–” Samona was cut off by a knock on the door. Standing there was Kyuhyun and Henry. Samona does a nervous laugh before turning toward the other students and looking at her sister. “Ha! See! I told you.” she says. Minako looks at her. “Yeah, but come on. It’s not something that happen every day.” she states. Samona shrugs. “True.” she then turns toward the two boys.

 

“What are you two doing here?” she asks.

“Oh, Samona…” Kyuhyun greets.

“This is Mr. J’s Mathematics Class right?” Henry asks.

“You guys are in this class too?” Samona asks. Seeing the boys nod, Samona smiles. “Awesome, come on over here.” she says motioning them to come into the class room. Samona then turns to the teacher. “Oh you two must be the two new students I was told about a couple of days ago.” Mr. J greets.

 

The two boys nod and stops next to Samona. Samona looks at Mr. J before turning to the other students. “Okay class today we are welcoming two new students.” she starts. “Let me introduce Kyuhyun Cho and Henry Lau. Please make them feel welcome here.” she states. As the students shout out a round of hellos, Mr. J turns to Samona. “Oh, so you know them already?” he asks.

 

“That’s an understatement Mr. J.” Minako says. Mr. J turns and looks at her confusingly. “Really?” he asks. Minako points to Henry and Kyuhyun. “I and Samona have known Kyuhyun for 4 years and Henry for 2 years.” she explains. Mr. J nods. “So you all are friends?” he asks. Minako and Samona looks at each other. “Yeah, friends; Everlasting Friends.” they says. Hearing that, Kyuhyun and Henry smiles. “Forever together.” Kyuhyun replies making Samona and Minako smile.

 

“So is it okay if they sit next to us?” Minako asks. Mr. J nods. “Sure, go ahead.” he says. With that, Kyuhyun and Henry walk over to Minako. Minako instructs Kyuhyun to sit to her left, and Henry to sit to the right of Samona’s seat. “Okay, Henry, Kyuhyun, welcome to the class.” Mr. J says at the same time. “Now, so that you two can get to where we are. This is the page that we are on in the book.” he says pointing to the top of the board. Seeing the two open their books to the page, Mr. J turns to Samona. “Okay, please continue.” he says. Samona nods.

 

“Okay as I was saying…” Samona says turning to the class. “As we all know, the mathematics that we do in this class it mostly just review of what we learned in high school. So to find the perimeter of this shape, to make it easier, we divide the shape into three by splitting the shape horizontally across the ¾ in line. Doing this you shall now have three rectangles: One that is ½ in by 1 ¾ in, and two that is ¾ in by ½ in.” Samona explains. “We first find out the perimeter of them, then add them all up, to get our final answer.” she says as she begins writing on the board.

(math problem picture at bottom)

Rectangle 1:

2*(½) + 2*(1 ¾) =

1 + 2*(7/4) =

1 + 14/4 =

1 + 3 2/4 =

4 ½

Rectangle 2 & 3:

2*(½) + 2*(¾) =

1 + 6/4 =

1 + 1 2/4 =

2 ½


 

P = 4 ½ + 2 ½ + 2 ½ = 8 3/2 = 9 ½ in

 

Once done writing, Samona turns back toward class. “Easy right?” she asks. “All it is just using basic math.” she adds. “Are there any questions about the problem?” Samona asks. A girl raises her hand. Samona nods to the girl. “Isn’t there another way to divide the shape?” she asks. Samona nods. “That is correct.” she says. “Instead of dividing along the ¾ in line, you can divide vertically along the two inside ¾ in lines. You’ll still have three rectangles: Two that are 1 ¼ in by ½ in. And one that is ½ in by ¾ in.” Samona explains before turning back to the board.

 


Rectangle 1 & 2:

2*(1 ¼) + 2*(½) =

2*(5/4)+ 1 =

10/4+ 1 =

2 2/4+ 1 =

3 ½

Rectangle 3:

2*(½) + 2*(¾) =

1 + 6/4 =

1 + 1 2/4 =

2 ½


 

P = 3 ½ + 3 ½ + 2 ½ = 8 3/2 = 9 ½ in

 

Samona sits the chalk back down. “As you see, you still end up with the same answer: the perimeter equals 9 ½ in.” she says turning to the class. She then looks at the teacher. Mr. J holds out a paper to her. Taking the paper, Samona looks it over. “Okay class,” she begins as she turns back to the board. “Please try these pages.” she says writing on the board. “Use yesterday’s lecture to help you with these problems. Work with others around you. If you have any trouble with any of the problems, circle the number. We’ll go over it before class is over.” she says sitting the chalk down.

 

“Minako, can you please share your notes with Kyuhyun and Henry?” Samona asks. Minako nods. “Of course.” she says. Samona then turns and walks over to the teacher’s desk. Sitting the paper down, Samona turns to Mr. J. “How’s Mariah doing?” she asks leaning against the desk. Mr. J sighs. “A little angry.” he says. “Her job informed her that in about a month they’ll be putting her on maternal leave.” he informs.

 

“She wanted to keep working?” Samona asks. Mr. J nods. “If I was her I would kick back and relax. She’ll be glad when she’s on leave. She’s going to want to get off her feet.” Samona says. Mr. J nods. “Yeah, she’s already complaining about her back hurting.” he says. Samona nods. “Yeah well it’s your fault. That’s what she’s going to tell you when the baby comes.” she laughs patting Mr. J on the shoulder.

 

“Hey, she’s at fault too.” Mr. J says. Samona stands up straight. “Yeah, you’re right.” she says. “I just don’t suggest you tell her that during the same time she’s telling you it all you fault.” she says. Mr. nods. “Of course. I don’t have a death wish you know.” he says. Samona lets out a laugh before turning and walking to her seat.

 

~~~~

Math problem: