My Intruder

Torn
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

It wasn’t the first time I’ve been embraced so tightly by Kris – the same as how he would greet me after a long period of separation. Yet this wasn’t the arrival hall in an airport, this so happened to be the thick of action in one of the busy corridors of the Business faculty with students rushing to their next class slowing down to look at two idiots entwined together. Despite what was portrayed in Korean dramas, public displays of affection weren’t commonly seen here.

 

As my senses adapted quickly to his familiar scent and touch, I became aware of the surrounding twitter growing louder in volume. Wriggling out of his grip, I took a step back, aware of the eyes pinned on both of us. I quickly put two and two together. So Kris was the hot teaching assistant that Luna was gaga over? I glared at the grinning man - what the hell was he doing in Korea?

 

“What’s going on? Why are you here?” Still reeling from shock, I subconsciously switched to speak in Mandarin.

 

Luna gave my arm a poke. “You know Kris?”

 

Switching my line of vision from Kris to my baffled roommate and racked my mind – what was I going to tell Luna. I had never found it necessary to tell Luna about this other part of my life. But now that this bugger had popped out of nowhere making such a huge impact on Seoul University’s female population, or at least the Business faculty’s, I had to say something.

 

Of course, Mr Kris Wu had to beat me to it. “Amber is my …” With a quick sneak at my expression, he continued in surprisingly fluent Korean. “Girlfriend.”

 

“Girlfriend?” Luna echoed, her eyes widening like saucers, turning to look at me, then Kris, then me again. Boy, did I have some explaining to do.

 

Girlfriend? At least he didn’t say “wife”, yet he had still dug me into a big hole.

 

ing the textbook at her, I babbled, “Don’t you have another lecture to go to?” She grabbed her book and ran off but not before giving me a good hard stare.

 

But first, Kris had some explaining to do too. I turned to walk away, a little embarrassed by the few still watching us interestedly. Gaining speed as I darted past them, I could hear the man following behind me.

 

I was furious now. What right did Kris Wu have to come, barge into my life here like that, without any warning? I was doing perfectly fine on my own and knowing Kris, he will create chaos and everything will become topsy-turvy. Especially, I realised as I avoided another student who didn’t see me flying down the stairs, when he finds out all about those things I have kept from him – like my job. Oh man, this wasn’t an ideal situation.

 

“Am, Amber,” He called loudly, unaware as always of the scene he was creating. “Slow down and wait for me.”

 

Hurrying quicker, I refused to listen to him. Yet, his long legs helped him catch up with me.

 

“Amber, where are you going?” Kris reached forward for my elbow.

 

“I’m going back to the dorm. I had a free day today but came to bring the textbook Luna had forgotten.” I said through gritted teeth. “What are you doing here? In Korea? I thought you had an important test back in LA?”

 

Me and Kris practically shared every single memory growing up and would also share the rest of our lives together. I saw the period of my university education as the only time I could truly call my very own without the stamp of Kris on it but of course now, he wanted in on this part too. I guess Kris couldn’t see how important it was to me to be able to have this time to all to myself.

 

“I thought I would give you a surprise later today,” Kris spoke in huffs as he struggled to keep up with me. “I just started my first class yesterday.”

 

“No Kris, I meant, why are you even here, at the university.” Stopping at the main gate, I went to my bicycle. “You are coming back with me to the dorm right?”

 

“Of course,” Kris declared, shifting the files and book he was carrying.

 

My bicycle lock came undone when I turned the correct number combination. “Well, I rode here and have to ride back.”

 

“No problem, your bike will fit in the boot of my car just fine.”

 

Car! The man had certainly set up home here very quickly, all done on the sly. Passing his things to me, he picked up my bicycle with one hand easily. I followed him to the staff carpark where he opened the boot of what looked like a brand new SUV. One look at my scrowl and Kris hastily reassured me, “I didn’t buy the car, I rented it!” Trust Kris to be so extravagant.

 

I hopped into the passenger seat, saying icily, “I do not care. Your habit is to do things without informing me anyway.”

 

Kris fiddled with the GPS. “Aw, Ambie, don’t be mad please.” He pouted with his eyebrows knit together, a departure from the cool, authoritative teacher air he possessed earlier.

 

Rolling my eyes, I put on the seatbelt. “I’ll direct you to the hall of residence. You don’t need the GPS.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter