The Family Visits

Scarlet Necklace

 

Yejin came home to an empty house. She scowled and mentally cursed Heechul out for not giving her a birthday present or even just wish her. Her bedroom door slammed shut and she grumpily tossed her backpack onto the bed before taking a warm shower. Yejin stepped into her room to hear her phone ring but stop before she could pick it up. She called Heechul back after seeing there were two missed calls from him.

“Happy birthday, moron,” Heechul annoyingly cheerful voice greeted her.

“Thanks, nitwit,” Yejin rolled her eyes.

“Wanna come help me out at the office?” He asked. Yejin could almost see him smiling hopefully.

“Why should I?” She snorted and planted her bum on the bed.

“Aw come on~ Exams are over, do your brother a favour,” the image of him batting his lashes sent shivers down her spine.

“Alright I’ll be there in fifteen minutes. I want steak for dinner, thanks,” Yejin hung up and went to change. She arrived at his office soon enough and sat beside him.

“Here you can help me with this. Just punch holes and I’ll do the filing,” Heechul handed her a thick stack of papers and a holepuncher.

“So you called me down here, on my birthday, to punch. Holes,” Yejin glared at him while she punched holes on the first batch of papers at the last two words.

“Not only that, you’ll also get to staple stuff later,” he pointed out.

“How exciting,” she stared at him flatly and continued with her task. Two hours later, the siblings were done with the task. They said goodbye to the other employees and left the office.

“Steakhouse is that way,” Yejin pointed to the left.

“My wallet’s that way, at home,” Heechul grinned and pointed to right. Yejin irritatedly ground her teeth and trailed after him, making sure to burn holes into his shirt with her lasers. They arrive home after the short walk. It was strangely quiet, making Yejin a little suspicious. Her sharp eyes easily recognized Hyunsoo’s Pororo socks from behind the divider and smiled to herself. Yejin feigned ignorance and waited for him to jump out to ‘surprise’ her.

“Happy birthday!” Voices chorused from different areas of the house.

“Why are you not tearing up?” Hyunsoo questioned with a blank look on his face.

“I could see your socks, idiot!” Yejin burst into laughter while he sulked. “When did all of you get here?”

“Last night, we stayed in a hotel,” her father shrugged.

Yejin nodded and sniffed the air. “I smell food.”

“Umma cooked while you were out with Chullie.”

She made her way to the kitchen to check what was for dinner only to let out an inhuman scream and crumbled to the floor.

“Oh my god, I forgot,” Baekhyun’s eyes widened as he rushed to her aid.

“Why the hell were you crouching in the corner with a knife in your hand,” Yejin mumbled and placed a hand over her racing heart to calm down.

“I was chopping something when I heard to door open so I panicked,” he explained and helped her over to the couch.

“So all this was planned way before hand?” She raised an eyebrow and glanced at all of them.

“Yup!” Hyunsoo nodded.

“How long have you been dating this boy?” Her father raised an eyebrow.

“How long?” She looked at Baekhyun before counting in her head. “Seven? Eight?”

“Seven,” Baekhyun confirmed. Her father nodded just as Momma Kim ushered everyone to the table for dinner.

“Thank you for the food,” the four youngest said in union. Hyunsoo and Heechul were assigned to do the dishes. Out of courtesy, Baekhyun tried to help them out but was waved off by Hyunsoo, saying Heechul and himself needed some bonding time. While the parents busied in and out of their room, Baekhyun and Yejin sat on the couch to watch TV.

“Oh yeah,” Baekhyun sat up.

“What?” Yejin asked lazily.

“I have something for parents,” he patted her knee. “I left it in your room.”

“Go get it,” she nodded to the stairs.

“As easy as it is, I can’t just blatantly barge into your room. What if there’s a bra on the floor or something?”

“If you could leave it in my room, you can go back in to get it,” Yejin hugged the cushion tighter.

“Come on, you pig,” Baekhyun stood up and easily brought Yejin to her feet. They entered her room and Baekhyun picked up the paper bag beside her beanbag.

“What’s inside?” Yejin leaned over.

“Red ginseng and stuff,” Baekhyun muttered, checking if he left out anything. Hyunsoo came across those two in the room and snuck up behind them. He tapped Yejin’s right shoulder and Baekhyun’s left shoulder at the same time. They turned and glanced between Hyunsoo’s finger poking their cheeks and back up at him at the same time.

“Damn, you two really are a couple. Having the same reactions and ,” Hyunsoo mumbled and removed his finger.

“Are the dishes done?” Yejin questioned.

“Oh, is there anything for me?” Hyunsoo changed the subject and peered into the bag.

I should be asking you that,” Yejin turned and crossed her arms.

“If it’s for my mom and dad then they’re in the living room,” Hyunsoo smiled and jabbed his thumb back to the door.

“Thanks,” Baekhyun smiled back. “Go with me.”

Yejin narrowed her eyes at her brother before following Baekhyun downstairs.

“Aigo, there’s really no need,” her mother waved her hands when Baekhyun presented them with his small gift.

“It’s okay, it would be rude to come empty handed. Please just accept it,” Baekhyun chuckled and handed her the gift.

“The best present you could give me is making my Yejin happy,” her mother smiled and set the bag onto the coffee table.

"Mom," Yejin groaned childishly.

“Ye~Jin~” Hyunsoo came running down like a child with a rectangular box in hand.

“Grow~ Up~” Yejin answered in the same time. He came to an abrupt stop in front of her and practically shoved her the box.

“Open it!” Hyunsoo smiled brightly. Yejin set the box down on and pulled the ribbon loose.

“This isn’t some prank where there’ll be something ready to pop out and scare the crap out of me, right?” Yejin looked up and shot her brother a skeptical look.

“Nope,” Hyunsoo rocked back and forth on his toe and heel. She smiled and quickly lifted the lid off. He squatted beside her. “The heels are from Chullie.”

“I’m guessing the dress is from you,” Yejin said, staring at the dress in awe.

“Mhm,” Hyunsoo nodded. “Go change into it! I wanna see if it fits you.”

“Now?” Yejin raised an eyebrow.

“Let’s go,” Heechul placed his hands on her shoulder and pushed her from behind. Five minutes later, Yejin came down squirming about in the dress.

“It itches,” Yejin sulked and tugged at the dress.

“Once you wash it, it’ll be okay,” Her mother assured. “Maybe you want to send Baekhyun off? It’s getting late.”

“Neh. Have a good rest, everyone,” Baekhyun gave a small bow to her family before heading out with Yejin.

“So when am I getting my birthday present from you?” Yejin folded her arms.

“Tomorrow. I’ll be here at 1 for you,” he smiled and wrapped an arm around her waist. “I don’t care, we’re going to wear the jackets you bought the last time.”

“Okay. Where are we going?”

“It’s a surprise, of course,” he stopped and pulled her flush against his body.

“You know my parents are probably watching you right now,” Yejin reminded with a small smile.

“Doesn’t matter. They like me,” Baekhyun leaned in slowly and stopped with his lips just centimeters away from hers. “The dress is too short by the way.”

“And you don’t like it?”

“I don’t hate it..” his lips curved into a smile. “But what if other guys look at you?”

“Insecure are we?” Yejin laughed softly.

“Maybe?” Baekhyun pulled her closer if it was even possible.

As a reply, she closed the gap between their lips with a shy kiss. She was about to pull away and drown in her embarrassment but Baekhyun refused to let her. His hand went up and gently cupped the back of her head to prevent her from pulling away as he deepened the kiss. Time seemed to have froze and it was just them in the world. Despite wearing a sleeveless dress that barely reached mid-thigh in the chilly weather, Yejin felt warm inside and out.

“I feel more reassured now,” Yejin knew he was smirking just by the tone of his sentence. “Go back in, that thin dress probably isn’t helping out in keeping you warm.”

“Goodnight,” Yejin let her eyes scan over his facial features. As soon as he pulled away and turned go, the warmth she felt just seconds ago disappeared instantly.

Baekhyun didn’t know how he looked like to her, but every part of him was heating up. It was probably one of the few times, if not first, that he ever kissed her like that. Her every touch made his heart hammer wildly against his chest. Everytime he saw her or just come into contact with her, there was this feeling that just couldn’t be put into words no matter how hard he tried. And for some reason, there was a voice in his head that kept nagging at him, saying she was the one he would spend the rest of his life with.