First Encounter

What Is Love?

 

“Yes, you see—” Kris started, but once again interrupted by the person on the other line.

“YES. I know that…yes—but 3 months is very short!” He sighed and ran his hands through his hair in frustrations. Why can’t this stupid representative just understand what he is trying to say.

“6 MONTHS?! But can’t you extend—” He shouted, trying to grasp what the guy is saying while trying negotiate as well. However, before he could, the guy on the other line hung up.

“GOD---- UGH” Kris slammed the phone back down on the receiver and rubbed his temples, trying to ease the headache that is coming. How is he going to start making the final payments for the house in 6 months? Even if he gathers all of  the guys’ money and his own, along with his income, they still would not have enough.

“Why did I even accept Uncle’s proposal…I should have known” Mumbling to himself, he began to regret ever taking this place from his uncle. A house as a gift was too good to be true. If only he could rent this out.

Rent it out…

“THAT’S IT!” Kris shouted and clasped his hands together at the idea.  I knew it, I’m a genius.

“Ge-ge, what’s wrong?” due to his loud shouting, one of his younger housemates popped his head into the living room with a concerned face. The younger boy should be used to his Gege throwing bipolar fits by now, however, he can’t help but worry about Kris’ sanity sometimes.

“Chen, go wake Luhan and Tao up” Kris quickly grabbed his laptop and began typing away on it.

------------------------------------------

“So that’s what happened” Kris ended his dramatic explanation with a heavy sigh, while his two housemates’ jaws hung low.

“Does this means we will be out in the streets in 6 months?!” Luhan panicked as his mind became clouded with the thoughts of being homeless. No! I CAN’T BE HOMELESS!

“Ge-ge, do you have any ideas to how we are going to solve this problem?” The calmer one, Chen, spoke up. By now, both Kris and Chen had realized that Luhan is probably no help since he might be too busy imagining the worst case scenarios, and it was up to the two of them to figure things out.

“In fact, I do! Here!” Kris cheerfully pulled out a stack of flyers that he had printed while Chen was waking Luhan up. On the flyers was a picture of their house (that Kris took last year to brag about having a large house) with the lines that were something close to “Looking for housemates”.

“We’re looking for housemates?” Luhan suddenly popped back into their conversation as he finishes his vivid imaginations, as well as realizing that it was stupid.

“Welcome back” Kris rolled his eyes at the innocent boy before turning to Chen to elaborate on his plans.

“So you guys go towards the south direction, near the market, and I will head up north towards the hills and the shopping malls. We will meet up back at home whenever we are done.” Kris said as Chen and Luhan nodded. However, he paused when it hits him that one of them was missing. “Wait…Where’s Zi Tao?”

“We tried to wake him up, but he grabbed his sword…” Chen murmured while Luhan shudders as he felt a chill running down his spine at the memory.

“That stupid kid” Kris groaned and slapped his palm over his face. Why did I even let him stay here, I should kick his sorry out.

“Never mind, I can do this myself. You two just head down towards the market.” Kris swore under his breath before shoving a thick stack of flyers into Luhan’s arms and ushered them to leave the house.

----------------------------------------------

“KAI! All these places are so shady and gross!” Min Kyung screeched into her phone, stomping her foot on the concrete as she glares at the guys who were giving her the dirty smile by the stairs.

“Not my fault. Ay I’m busy Noona, laters”

“KAI! YAH KAI!”

Out of anger, the girl began to text her friend a hateful text

To: Kai

Msg: I HATE YOU . I’m gonna putting itch powder in your underwear drawers tonight Jong-In.

Frustrated, Min Kyung threw her phone into her purse and gave the guys at the stairs one last glare before strutting off.

“I’m probably better off finding a place by myself than with Kai’s help” she muttered as she strolled down the busy street, occasionally glancing at the fancy restaurants and the people in it with envy.

While she was in a daze, her feet continue to walk and ended up bringing her into a collision with a wall very tall guy.

“Oww” Min Kyung groaned as she felt a bruise forming where his arm or elbow had knocked against. With her bad mood, Min Kyung was ready to snap at the guy. However, the moment she saw him on the ground gathering his papers, she immediately felt bad and apologized.

“Sorry!” She said as she helps him gather his papers. The guy muttered a sorry as well, but began to mumble in a foreign language, that to his ill-luck, she understands.

“Aiya, why am I having such an unlucky day today? First the bank calls and now I ran into a girl who placed her eyes elsewhere on her damn head” Kris muttered in Chinese as he gather the scattered flyers in his arms.

The nerve this guy has. Min Kyung shook her head in disbelief as she listens to him talking crap about her, that is, until she couldn’t take it anymore.

“YAH! If you want to talk crap, make sure I don’t understand it first you bastard!” She shoved the flyers at his face, sending him to the ground on his while he stares at her, stunned by her Chinese. Her appearance, as well as her voice, did not give him one bit of an impression that she is Chinese, or understands Chinese.

“You—you’re Chinese?!” He stuttered a bit before trying to collect his cool again and stood up.

“Yeah, duh” She rolled her eyes and gave him a look. Despite his enormous height, she isn’t one bit afraid of him.

“My bad” He raises one of his arms and backed off a bit. Then, he continues to ignore the girl’s glare and began to tape his flyers onto the pole next to him. She is a beauty, but too bad she has a temper of a lioness.

“Not even a sorry?! What kind of—” Min Kyung snapped and was about to give Kris a piece of her mind until his flyer caught her eyes. Without hesitation, she shoved him aside and yanked the flyer off of the pole.

“YOU’RE LOOKING FOR SOMEONE TO RENT?!”

Kris dramatically rolled his eyes at her and shoved her aside “What’s your problem?!”

“You’re looking for someone to rent a room in your house?!” Min Kyung repeated her question as her eyes gleamed with hope. The picture of the house, as well as the price for the room, had appealed to the girl’s wallet a lot. The only problem she would have is this arrogant bastard, but somehow, Min Kyung had forgotten all about that.

“Why?” He raised a brow at her. For some strange reason, his gut was telling him that he will not like what she has in mind.

“WELL, it just happens that I’m also looking for a place to rent!” Min Kyung batted her lashes at him innocently. If they didn’t have that encounter earlier with the Chinese cursing, Kris would’ve gladly fall for it, however, his lips started twitching instead.

“WELL, I have no intentions of letting a girl in my house, let alone a crazy one” He sneered and his feet to leave but ended up being yanked back by the hood of his jacket.

“Why not?! Come on!” Min Kyung pouted, stomping her foot dangerously close to Kris’ feet.

“Seriously! What is your problem?!” Kris snapped and stepped back, almost walking into people behind him as he try to avoid her dangerous heels stepping on his feet.

“Look, I’ve been searching for a nice place to rent all week, and today alone, I went to 5 places. All I wanted is a nice place to stay so I won’t have to be homeless in about a week! So please, just take me to see your house!” Min Kyung faked a sniffle in hope that Kris would buy her sob story.

“Okay” Kris started and Min Kyung lifted her head with a smile, but her smile faded as soon as he continues. “I can recommend you to some good apartments around the area, but I can’t let you rent the room in my house okay? I really have no intention of having a girl as a house mate in a house full of guys.”

“WHY NOT?! Why are you being ist!” Min Kyung pointed at him accusingly.

“Dear God, why me?” Kris groaned and wiped his face with his palm. She is as annoying as Tao, if not, more.

“Give me one good reason why you cannot let a girl rent!” Min Kyung crossed her arms stubbornly.

“WHY DO YOU THINK?!” Kris hissed.

“Well, if you guys are all that indecent! I should go report you all to the police now!”

“FINE! I’ll take you to see the house” Kris snapped again and stomp off in a random direction, cursing in Chinese once again, but this time, Min Kyung was too ecstatic to hear him.

--------------------------------------

“Chen, wait!” Luhan halted in front of the mini mart and handed Chen all of the flyers before skipping inside.

“Ge-ge! Where are you going?!” Chen shouted after him

“Just go ahead and tape flyers down the street! I’m gonna get us some snacks first!” Luhan shouted back and left the poor boy to shake his head outside of the mini mart.

“I really wonder how old he is sometimes” Chen muttered and went off to tape the flyers.

While Chen works hard to tape flyers down couple blocks, Luhan faces a dilemma in the mini mart.

“Dammit! My wallet!” Luhan swore under his breath as he fumbled around awkwardly while the girl behind the register raises a brow at him.

“I swear I was holding my wallet—” Just as he tries to explain the situation to the girl, he realizes something that stopped him from searching for his wallet. I gave it to Chen to hold along with the flyers…

“Ohh noooo” He sighed and stared at the ice cream longingly before reluctantly reach out to put the ice cream back. However, a small hand reached out with a couple of bills and stopped him from doing so.

“I’ll pay for him” Luhan followed the hand and found himself staring at a girl with very bright, round eyes. Her eyes were so captivating that Luhan couldn’t help staring at her.

“Um—” Jae Rin started awkwardly, not knowing what to say to the pretty boy. Is he not happy that I’m paying for him? Maybe he thinks of it as an insult…oh no.

“Here is your change Miss, and your ice cream Mister” The girl handed Jae Rin her change and pushed the ice creams towards Luhan, who then took the ice cream with a stunned expression.

“Um—enjoy your ice cream! Good bye” Jae Rin gave him a polite smile before turning away, leaving Luhan to stand there with the ice cream melting in his hands.

“What a nice girl” the girl behind the counter stated and snapped Luhan out of his trance. Without a thought, he stepped forward to chase after the girl, but ended up stepping on something that was lying in the way of his foot.

“This is…a passport?” Luhan tilted his hand in confusion as he picked the object off of the ground and examined it. As soon as he sees the picture inside the passport, he immediately realizes that it was the girl from earlier who dropped it. “Zhao-Lin?”

=====================================================================

Thanks for reading!