A Game of Volleyball

Unseen By You

Eli watched as Kiseop took off up the stairs.

 

What a strange boy, he shook his head, although he's cute.

 

He glanced up at the clock and realized that he was late meeting up with Kevin. He headed out to the front doors where Kevin was still waiting on the cement steps. He snuck up behind him and covered his eyes.

 

Kevin spun around and pushed his hands away, “you're late!”

 

“Yeah I know. It's only two minutes. Sorry the hallway was crowded,” he apologized.

 

Kevin crossed his arms, “two minutes is long enough for you to talk to someone else. Who is it?”

 

Eli rolled his eyes, “Kev, you're freaking out over nothing. Relax. I did talk to someone but it wasn't a two minute conversation.”

 

“Oh yeah? I knew it!” Kevin stomped his foot, “tell me who it is!”

 

Eli frowned, “I think he said his name was Kiseop.”

 

Kevin narrowed his eyes, “Kiseop? You're sure?”

 

Eli nodded. “yeah. Why?”

 

He linked arms with Eli, “don't ever talk to him again. Although now you have to do whatever I say for the rest of the day today without complaining.”

 

Eli rolled his eyes again, “seriously? Over that?”

 

“I can make it worse if you keep complaining. Walk me to class.”

 

Eli sighed and walked Kevin to his next class. Some days there was just no pleasing him. He seemed to always be mad at him for something. Whether he was a couple minutes late or wore the shoes Kevin didn't like, he could never win. He started to wonder why he was with Kevin in the first place. Yeah Kevin was cute, but that can only last for so long.

 

“Eli? Did you hear me?” Kevin waved a hand in front of his face, “Ellison Kim! Don't you dare ignore me!”

 

“Don't use my full name. I heard you when you said 'Eli' just fine. Now what?” Eli snapped a little.

 

“Well you were ignoring me so I had to get your attention somehow. Don't forget you switched out science for PE.”

 

“Yeah I know that. Why are you reminding me?”

 

“Because I know how distracting I can be.”

 

Eli rolled his eyes, “I'll see you at lunch.”

 

“I want to go out today for lunch,” Kevin pouted, “you'll take me out like you promised right?”

 

“When did I promise that?”

 

“You didn't, but you will.”

 

“Okay. See you,” Eli turned and headed off towards the gym.

 

For some reason Kevin was just getting on his nerves more than usual that day. Ever since he mentioned Kiseop. Why does Kevin hate him so much? He seemed like a nice kid.

 

He headed into the locker room and to his surprise he saw Kiseop over in the corner pulling on his gym shirt. He turned as if feeling Eli's gaze on him. His eyes widened a little as he shut his locker and walked quickly past him.

 

“Hey,” Eli called out to him.

 

Kiseop stopped and slowly turned back to him.

 

“What are we doing?”

 

“Volleyball,” he replied quickly and started to turn away again.

 

“You'll play against me then, won't you?”

 

Kiseop nodded quickly and took off from the locker room. Eli was confused. This morning Kiseop had been a little jumpy but not this bad.

 

He quickly got changed and headed out to the gym and over to Kiseop, “so why does Kevin hate you so much?”

 

Kiseop froze and didn't say anything at first, “I-I don't know. He always has.”

 

Eli picked up a volleyball, “well he's an acquired taste. That's for sure.”

 

Kiseop nodded and backed up to the other side of the net. The first few rounds of serves went well, until the fourth serve when Eli accidentally hit the ball too hard and it hit Kiseop in the face. Apparently he was letting off a little too much steam about Kevin. He saw Kiseop cover his eye. He came over to him, “I'm sorry. I didn't know I hit it that hard.”

 

Kiseop looked up at him with anger and slapped him, “you're no different than he is.”

 

“What? I didn't do it on purpose...”

 

“Whatever,” Kiseop stormed out of the gym leaving Eli clueless as to why he got so angry.