Chapter 6.

One Step Too Late

Sunggyu was still my friend, despite the fact that the time he spent with me was decreasing. Somehow, Eunhye had become my friend too, due to the fact that the time she spent with him was increasing.

Soon, Eunhye had become one of my closest friends, probably the only real girl friend I had. Before I knew it, the school viewed us as a package deal. Where Kim Sunggyu was, Park Eunhye and Lee Soojin were. Where Park Eunhye was, Kim Sunggyu and Lee Soojin were. Where Lee Soojin was, Park Eunhye and Kim Sunggyu were.

I became used to them always being with me and slowly stopped resenting Eunhye for taking Sunggyu’s attention away from me. In fact, I began to help her on her relationship with Sunggyu, ignoring the blunt pain I felt in my heart. I helped her ask him to the Sadie Hawkins’ dance at our school. I helped her choose his birthday and Christmas present because I knew him so well.

And every single time, I would feel the same suffocating sensation. But every single time, I would disregard it and help Eunhye with a smiling face. I tried hard not to give a second thought about it. I tried to pretend that I didn’t know what this feeling was. I was afraid that if I acknowledged it, it would hurt even more.

When we entered college, those two went to the same one, while I was accepted into a different one. We remained in contact, even if we didn’t hang out as much as before.

One day, my roommate handed me a letter someone had sent me.

I opened it and found a wedding invitation inside.

 

You are hereby invited to attend Mr. Kim Sunggyu and Ms. Park Eunhye’s wedding ceremony.

Place: _____

Time: 8:00 A.M - 4:00 P.M

Date: 28 July XX

 

I fell on my bed, still clutching the invitation in my hands.

 

I should’ve known this would happen,I thought, laughing. I buried my face into my pillow.

 

Crap, Kim Sunggyu. I’m in love with you, but I realized too late.

---

“Soojin-ah, would you like an internship in America?” My professor asked.

“America?”

“Mhmm. It has pretty high pay and I’ve talked to your parents already. They think it’s a great way for you to gain more experience.”

“If I do go, when do I leave?” I asked.

“On July 28th.”

“...I’ll take the offer.”

 

And now I’m on the plane flying to California for my internship.

I glanced at my wrist. Tied around it, behind a flower watch, was a worn out bracelet, given to me from a very important person a long, long time ago.

I’ve never taken it off, even during the years when Sunggyu and I didn’t meet.

I was never sure why I didn’t take it off. I suppose it was because I had a habit of it. Or maybe it was because I still remembered the wish I made when I was nine. And I still wanted it to come true.

 

“I wish to stay like this with you forever and ever and ever.”

 

I smiled sadly at the memory. Slowly, I reached over and untied the bracelet, letting it fall.

 

“But you can’t take it off, or else the wish won’t come true.”

 

It’s okay now. I don’t need the wish to come true anymore. Thank you Sunggyu for being with me throughout these few years. Thank you Sunggyu for teaching me what love was. Thank you Sunggyu for being my best friend. I’ll always remember you. Thank you.

____

Hehe, sorry I didn't update yesterday. I had a Festival of Learning at my school and I had to help out. Then I was too tired and my computer crashed on me so I just went to sleep. xD Is the story boring? o.o Oh, and the story's not done. :D There's still a little to go. :)