Chapter 1.

One Step Too Late

“Do you, Kim Sunggyu, take Lee Eunhye as your wife, through sickness and health, through poverty and wealth, through sorrow and joy, and love her unconditionally?”

“Yes, I do.”

“Do you, Park Eunhye, take Kim Sunggyu as your husband, for better, for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health and love him unconditionally?”

“Yes, I do.”

“I declare you two husband and wife.”

I looked at my two best friends from my seat at the back of the church. As they exchanged vows, rings, and kisses, I smiled to myself. When they were finally declared husband and wife, their eyes immediately sought me out. When they met mine, I offered them a reassuring smile and watched both their faces break out into bright grins.

“Congratulations,” I murmured quietly as I hugged Eunhye. “You’re finally married, bestie.”

“Thanks so much,” she replied earnestly, choking on her tears.

“No, no, don’t cry,” I scolded. “It’s your wedding day! Today’s supposed to be the happiest day of your life!”

That only made her cry harder.

“Oh my gosh, Soojin, I still can’t believe it... I’m married!”

I laughed. “Yes, you are. Is the reality finally starting to settle in?” I joked.

She playfully punched me in the arm. “Is it your turn next?”

I looked at her questioningly.

“Come on, you know what I’m talking about! When are you going to get married?”

“Dude, I don’t even have a boyfriend yet!”

“Oh, I’ll introduce one to you! Sunggyu has this totally hot friend, Myungsoo. You guys should meet together some-“

“Eunhye! Would you realize that this is your wedding day and stop worrying about other people already? Gosh!” I said, planting my hands on my hips.

She giggled. “Alright, alright.”

I helped her hold her train as we exited the church doors to the front lawn where the reception was held.

As soon as we stepped outside, a horde of family and friends came and gushed over how beautiful she looked in her dress.

I stepped back, smiling, and let her bask in her spotlight. As I watched her, I noticed another pair of eyes on me.

“Hey, Sunggyu,” I said quietly, walking over to him.

He smiled and held out his arms. I stepped in and gave him a hug.

“Congrats.”

“Thanks,” he smiled.

“Now, you better treat Eunhye well, or else I swear I’ll kick your ,” I threatened, giving him a glare.

He held up both hands and nodded quickly. “I won’t treat her like anything less than a queen,” he said solemnly.

I laughed. “You better.”

We stayed in comfortable silence for a while, watching the guests break out into little groups.

“You know,” he began suddenly. “I never expected this outcome. For me to marry Eunhye, I mean.”

“Hmm?”

He turned to face me. “I thought that you’ll be the one in the wedding dress, holding onto my arm.”

I searched his eyes, not speaking. He was being completely serious. That, I knew. But his eyes no longer held the passion they did years ago. No longer did they seem to scream out his feelings every time I looked at them.

I let out a soft laugh. “Oh come on, that was a long time ago.”

He turned back to the guests, smiling. “Yup, that was. Don’t worry, Soojin. I love you a lot, but as a friend.”

“Of course,” I said, punching his arm and laughing.

 

If only you knew how I felt about you.

 

“When are you leaving?” He asked.

I stayed quiet. I knew what he was talking about of course. “In two hours,” I finally admitted.

“Well, in that case, you still owe me a dance,” he said in a playful voice, grabbing my arm.

“Hey, aren’t the groom and the bride supposed to dance first?” I protested.

“This is a special case. I need to squeeze in a dance with you. Eunhye won’t mind.”

I looked around for her, and she smiled, nodding. Turning back to Sunggyu, I saw a gentle smile on his face. He placed his arms around my waist and I let mine rest lightly on his shoulders.

We were a far way from the crowd, dancing music-less in our own little world. He hummed a random tune and we swayed slowly to the melody.

“You won’t forget us once you get to America right?” He asked.

“Of course not!”

“You better call us and write us and everything...”

“Of course I will! You guys are my best friends, man! I can’t get through a day without you two.”

“Then how are you going to live in the US by yourself?”

I chuckled. “I’ll get by somehow.”

“Do you have to go?” He asked in his signature whiny voice. I stopped dancing and gave him an evil-eye.

“It’s for work!”

He pouted and pulled me along with him to start me dancing again.

“But you’re my best friend...”

“You’re my best friend too. So’s Eunhye. But you know we can’t be together forever.”

“...I know,” he whispered.

We continued dancing slowly and silently. I looked at my watch and sighed. I pulled away and smiled.

“I have to go now,” I said, shielding my eyes from the sun.

He sighed too. “Right.”

I stood there, showing no intention of moving.

“Call us when you get there, okay?”

I nodded, still unable to leave.

“I’m going to miss you,” he whispered, pulling me in for another hug. I let myself be enveloped by his arms and closed my eyes, feeling tears sliding down my cheeks.

“Me too.”

“Soojin-ah.”

Sunggyu and I broke apart and looked at Eunhye, who had changed out of her wedding dress and left the crowd. Her bottom lip was trembling and her tears were about to spill any second.

I immediately hugged her.

“Eunhye-ah, don’t cry, okay? I’ll visit sometime.”

“Yeah, we’ll visit you too,” Sunggyu said, rubbing her back. Her sobs shook her small body.

I glanced at my watch again, watching the second hand tick on and on.

“Bye, guys,” I said, my throat tightening.

Eunhye and Sunggyu both nodded.

“Congratulations,” I said again, before turning around. “I love you guys!”