Chapter 2.

One Step Too Late

One and a half hours left before departure.

Instead of heading to the airport, I drove to the high school where my friendship with Sunggyu and Eunhye had begun.

Parking my car halfway down the block, I walked down the familiar road and through the familiar iron gates.

Breathing in deeply, I ventured down the hallways, occasionally stopping by my old classrooms.

Teachers were milling around campus, even though it was a Saturday. They smiled as I bowed towards them.

When I reached my homeroom class for my senior year, I slid open the door and sat down at my old seat.

Everything was exactly as I remembered it. I remembered sleeping in class and having Mr. Kim slap his ruler on my table. I remembered students giggling as they entered class. I remembered Sunggyu and Eunhye both coming over to hang out with me during lunch.

Those were good times, I thought.

Suddenly, a poster caught my eye. I went for a closer look and smiled as I recognized it. It was our motivation poster we made in the beginning of the year, planning our road after high school. At the center of the poster was a picture of Sunggyu, Eunhye, and I. Around it were talk bubbles filled with our dreams.

I want to be a doctor.

I want to be a singer.

I want to be a basketball player.

I want to be a figure skater.

I want to be a director.

These dreams were what kept us working hard during our high school days. Sure, we didn’t fulfill most of them and that some of them were beyond ridiculous, but I still remember how happy we were talking about them.

I reached over to slip the photograph out of the plastic cover it was in and the door opened again.

“Lee Soojin, is that you?”

I spun around and saw Mr. Kim gawking at me.

“Anneonghaseyo, Mr. Kim,” I bowed politely.

“It’s been such a long time! How are you doing?” He asked.

“I’m doing fine. I’m leaving for America today.”

“Is that so? I wish you the best.”

“Thank you,” I said, smiling.

“Looking at the motivation poster, aren’t you?” He nodded towards it.

“Yeah.”

“Would you like to take it with you? For a souvenir of this dreaded high school?” He joked.

“I’d love to!” I carefully took it off the wall. “Thank you so much, Mr. Kim.”

“No problem. I still remember you when you first entered high school. I thought you were the worst student ever.”

I laughed. “I kind of was.”

“I’m glad you became friends with Sunggyu and Eunhye. They sure influenced you in a good way.”

I smiled wistfully. “Yeah, I know.”

I bid him goodbye and headed out of the school, folding the poster and tucking it into one of my folders. I looked at the clock of my car.

Half an hour left before departure.

I shifted the car into gear and drove to the airport.

I paused before I stepped into the terminal, looking back and drinking in my last sight of Seoul.

 

Goodbye Eunhye. Goodbye Sunggyu. I wish you two the best.

____________________

Hehe, sounds final huh? Don't worry, the story doesn't end yet xD ('course not)