Chapter 5.

One Step Too Late

When our third year began, we were placed in different classes. I made no effort to look for him during lunch, because he would always come into my class a few minutes after the bell rings.

Every day was the same. He walked me to class, helped me with homework, and came in my class during lunch. When I met him on the campus on my way to somewhere, he would always smile and wave. Even when he was working with the student committee, he would break away from them and come over to talk to me.

As much as I didn’t want to admit it, I liked how he gave me more attention than he gave everyone else. He had a large group of friends, but he never cared for them as much as he cared for me. I had gotten used to him being by my side and began taking him for granted.

When he didn’t come into my class one day, I found myself fidgeting in my seat throughout lunch. Afterschool, I impatiently tapped my foot, waiting outside his classroom. I heard his laugh and turned towards the door.

“Sung-” I stopped when I saw his arm slung around a girl’s shoulder.

“Oh, hey Soojin!” He said cheerfully.

“Hi...”

“Let me introduce you. This is Soojin, my best friend. And Soojin, this is Eunhye, my girlfriend.”

“...Girl...friend?”

“Yup!”

“Nice to meet you! I’m Eunhye. I hope we can be great friends!” She said in a bubbly voice. I nodded warily.

“Oh, Soojin, I’m going to go on a date with Eunhye, so I’m not going to walk home with you today, okay?” Sunggyu said.

“Oh. Uh. Okay. See you two then. Uhm. Yeah. Okay, bye.” I couldn’t help but feel a little disappointed as I walked away.

Usually, I would be whining about how he followed me around too much and would tell him not to walk me home. Now that he really isn’t walking me home, the trip was almost lonely.

The next day, he wasn’t outside my classroom waiting for me as usual. As I walked in, I noticed him laughing with Eunhye outside another classroom.

My P.E period was when he worked with the student committee. As we walked past each other, I lifted my hand to wave, but let it drop back down when he passed me without acknowledging me. He was walking over to talk to Eunhye.

I had gotten too used to his attention. I had gotten too used to being the center of his life. And now that I wasn’t anymore, I couldn’t get used to it.

I knew I was being selfish, but I couldn’t help it.

My birthday was coming up. Last year, he had celebrated it with me, throwing rocks at my window six in the morning and dragging me out for breakfast. It wasn’t a fancy birthday, but he was with me the whole day and promised me he’ll celebrate every birthday with me from now on.

This year, I received a card and a small box from him.

He had called me the day before.

“Happy early birthday Soojin!” He said happily.

“Thanks...”

“I’m sorry I can’t celebrate it with you this year! Eunhye’s sister is sick and I have to take care of her.

 

Her sister? Her sister’s sick? What...what does that have to do with you?

 

“O-oh. Okay then. Well thanks anyways. Bye.” I hung up abruptly.

The next day, he sent me my present. I unwrapped it and found a watch inside. It was in the shape of a flower.

I opened the card and it read:

Hey Soojin!

Happy Birthday! Sorry I can’t celebrate it with you ;_; forgive me? xD

Anyways, here’s a watch for you. Now you have no excuse not getting to school and not finishing your homework on time!

Your best friend,

Sunggyu

I sighed and tossed both the box and the card onto my desk before flopping down onto my bed.

 

Didn’t you say that you were going to celebrate all my birthdays with me? What happened to that? Is...Is Eunhye more important than me?

 

The disappointment was slowly but steadily eating away my insides as I shut my burning eyes, rubbing them.

 

Damn you Kim Sunggyu.