Getting to know you

Wandering through Fiction to look for the Truth

Hyunseung

"Is something wrong, Hyunseung?" asked Sora.

I adverted my eyes back to her and said "Oh, no. Nothing." I couldn't let her see them together.

Sora didn't seem assured "Are you sure? You look... mad and shocked." 

Shaking my head I said "I'm positive....." I swayed her through the crowed a bit more, trying to get farther away from them, but still being able to see them and make sure Gikwang wasn't going to pull anything. 

"So, Where's your date Hyunseung?" 

"I was going to get us drinks but then I saw you alone so I decided to dance with you. I do feel a bit bad I left her though. I hope I can find her soon." Sora nodded.

"Yoora has a liking for you, Hyunseung. I haven't seen her interested in a guy in so long." I listened up "Yoora is pure, innocent, and careful. The total opposite of me. But you know what they say: 'Opposites attract.'" I laughed at her quote. 

"I've always somewhat envied her, you know? How she doesn't get into trouble, go partying, and basically live it up. She's the perfect example of a young adult. As for me, I'm not necessarily the best."

"How so?" 

"Going out every weekend, getting drunk, waking up not know where I am and how I got there. It's like a cycle. I'm not responsible, careful, or a good role model. I just want to have fun and not regret doing so. But I feel as if I do have fun like this, I will regret it. How I wish I spent my youthful adult days doing something productive with my life. Not drinking until the sun comes up." 

Sora was exactly like Gikwang. It amazed me how similar their lives were. Maybe that's the reason why she found interest in him. Because she saw herself in him.

"Then why don't you do something about it?" 

"That's what Yoora tells me. 'Why don't you do something about rather than complain?' But this life has became a part of me.Like a bad habit." Sora said with a bit of shame. "Maybe it's not something I can change on my own, you know? Maybe... I'll find that someone who will make me want to change. Or someone who will change me. Make me a better person and become someone they will be proud of." 

The song was coming to a slow end and I looked over to see Gikwang still dancing with Yoora. He spun her around and brought her back into his arms. I saw her smile and he smiled back at her. Why wasn't that me?

The song ended and I noticed Yoora backed away from Gikwang. She said something to him and then hurried on off out of the room. Gikwang stood there confused and disappointed. What exactly did she say? And where exactly is she going?

"Thank you for dancing with me, Hyunseung. You should go look for Yoora. She's probably looking for you right now." said Sora. I gave her a smile and said "No, it was my pleasure. You should go ahead and look for Gikwang. He has to be here somewhere." with that said I squeezed her hand and then left, going after Yoora.

 

Gikwang

I knew the song was ending, but I wish I was set on replay for a lifetime. Yoora backed away from me a bit, and I let her out of my grasp. She looked stunning in her dress. She just looked stunning in general. 

"Thank you for this dance, but... I should really find Hyunseung right now.." she said and then left. I saw her push through some people and walked out of the living room. I didn't want her to leave though. I wanted her to stay so we could talk and get to know each other. I just wanted her by me. I stood there confused and a bit hurt. 

I looked around the room and then I saw a familiar figure rush out of the room. He wore a dark blue suit. It was Hyunseung. Was he going after Yoora? I began to make my way through the people and was about to follow him when I accidentally bumped into someone. 

"Oh I'm sor- Sora?" She looked up to me with big brown eyes and said "Oh, hi Gikwang." 

"W-Where did you go?" I asked. 

"Where did I go? More like where did you go? You said you were going to get us drinks but when I came to check up on you, you weren't there at the food and drinks table." Shoot. She caught me.

"I'm sorry. Some girl pulled me away before I could get there and wanted to dance with me. I'll make it up to you with this next song..." A slow classical song played softly and I held out my hand for Sora. She accepted my apology and I led her to the crowd where others were dancing as well. While dancing with her, I couldn't help but wonder where Hyunseung and Yoora went off to. More importantly, what are they going to do?

 

Yoora

I fled from Gikwang as fast as I could. I made it out of the living room and went outside to the back porch. Once I felt the cool air wash onto my face, I felt my heart calm itself down. I felt as if I was on fire. Everything, my whole body, felt hot. Especially my waist and hands. His touch was like a flame. I peered out and saw the pond out farther. I could see the reflection of the moon as well. 

I felt bed for leaving Gikwang like that in there, but I just needed to get away from him. Hyunseung is my date after all, and I should probably go look for him now. I turned around to go back inside and right when I did I saw Hyunseung opening the door to the back porch. He entered and closed it quietly. 

"Y-You found me?" I stuttered. 

"Y-Yeah, I saw you leave the room and I decided to follow you. Sounds a bit... stalkerish..." I laughed and stood awkwardly.

"So... you didn't get the drinks?" I asked. Hyunseung looked down at his hands and chuckled "I suppose not." 

"That's alright. So, we're out here. Alone." The sound of music from inside could be heard faintly from outside. The sound of the crickets and bugs mostly filled the air. 

"Yeah, alone." Hyunseung moved closer to me and I moved closer to him. "It's a beautiful night. Perfect for a beautiful girl to be out and enjoy it." I blushed at his compliment and looked out to the stars. 

"Perfect to have a handsome gentleman to accompany this beautiful girl to ejnoying this beautiful night." Hyunseung smiled. 

"I wonder where Sora is..." I suddenly thought. "She may be inside looking for Gikwang." he told me. 

"I hope she finds him..." I was worried. Then the thought of me dancing with Gikwang came to my mind. I shook my head lightly and cleared my mind of it.

"Is something wrong?" asked Hyunseung. I looked at him with wide eyes and said "Oh, nothing. Anyways, so tell me about yourself, Hyunseung. Who are you?" 

"Who am I? I am... a man of good character. Charming, smart, and reliable." I laughed "It seems to me you're bragging a bit, huh?" 

"Hey, you asked who I am. Those characteristics make up who I am." We both laughed. "Please continue on." 

"Well, I guess I'm a caring person. I've been looking out after my best friend since our school days. Taking responsibility for whatever trouble he causes. I have to admit, it's annoying, but he's my best friend" I nodded understanding him. 

"I know exactly where you're coming from. Having to take care of them when they're drunk, bring them home, make sure they don't do anything crazy, then see them to sleep. It's annoying and childish. But in the end, they mean a lot to you. So of course you're going to care for them." I let out a sigh.

"Exactly..." he said softly. We both looked at each other and smiled. "Tell me more things about yourself, Hyunseung. You're still but a mysterious stranger to me." 

"I guess you can say I come from a wealthy family. My father owns multiple well known clubs in Seoul. He also owns a few restaraunts. As for my mom, she works as a surgeon. She's done one heart surgery, and quite a lot of arm and leg surgeries. I was born and raised in Seoul. But I traveled around Korea a lot with my family when I was younger. I don't spend as much time as I should with my family though. Since they are always working. My father going around meeting new people and making new business partners, and my mother staying up late at the hospital. I also have my own apartment. I only come home on holidays because that's when we're all at the house most of the time.

"For my childhood. I did travel a lot. I've been to most places in Korea like Busan, Incheon, Daegu, Jeju Islands, everywhere. I traveled because of my father. He went to many places and brought me along. He didn't want me to stay in a hospital with my mom and full of sick and injured people. He thought that it might scare me or give a bad influence on me. I went to a normal school and high school. In middle school I met Gikwang. From there on we became best friends. Throughout high school and during college. Still strong. There's nothing much to me, I guess. How about you, Yoora? I don't know anything about you besides the fact you're beautiful and your name."

Laughing at his compliment I said "I'm far from intersting. I was born in Busan actually. But then moved to Seoul when I was little. My mother works as a pharmacist and as for my father, he owns a restaraunt. My childhood was normal I guess you could say. I played with kids in my neighborhood, went to normal public schools. Bascially living a normal life." Hyunseung listened to me. 

"I fell as though my life seems... too normal. Too normal is too boring. So I guess living this type of life is boring. Nothing adventerous, dangerous, or exciting. I wish something like that could happen to my life. It would knock everything off track, and give me a new track to begin. A new path to walk onto." I said. 

"Just a change to break away from normality and live a different life. Just for a second. I wish to do that as well..." He said. We stood there for a moment looking out at the grass from the back porch. Laughter roared from inside and the music got a bit louder. I wonder what those people were laughing about.

"Maybe we should get back to the party. I've gotten enough air for tonight." I began to walk to the door and Hyunseung took hold of my hand. 

"Wait, Yoora." I looked at him and said "Yes?"

"I never got your entire name."

"Kim Yoora, and you?" I asked. "Jang Hyunseung." I interlocked my fingers into his and said "Well Jang Hyunseung, let's get back to the party." I tugged him along inside with a smug on my face. 

 

Gikwang

"I wonder where Yoora went... I havent' seen her since she left with Hyunseung at the door earlier." said Sora. I wanted to know as well as I was dancing with her. 

For the past few minutes we've just been small talking. Mostly about college and our futures. I looked around and then saw her. She was smiling like a fool, while holding hands with Hyunseung. He smiled back at her and they walked towards us. "I think I've found them.." I said and Sora turned around to see both of them.

"There you are!" Sora smiled. She walked up to Yoora and hugged her. "You make it seem like it's been a year. I've only been gone for about 30 minutes." they laughed.

Hyunseung walked over to me and smiled "What are you smiling about?" I asked. What did they do? 

"Nothing. I'm just enjoying tonight." I looked at him for a while and then nodded.

"So how's your night going?" he asked. I shrugged "It's going good. How about you?" 

"Pretty good." I bet it was. Whatever you two did, it must have been great. I was jealous. I am also nosy about what happened.

"So where did you two go?" I asked. 

"Oh, just out to the back porch. We just talked about things." They just talked? 

"Oh, okay." I replied. "How about you? What were you and Sora doing in here?" 

"Dancing, talking. Nothing special." As much as I felt like I wanted to believe that, I just didn't. The realization of that made me feel like a horrible friend. 

Throughout the rest of the night, we all hung out and talked. Hyunseung danced with Yoora a bit more. He spun her around and wrapped his arms around her waist from behind. She laughed and smiled at him. They were having such a great time. For me, I was dancing with Sora. Listening to every complaint and story she has to tell me, and act as if I was interested. People began to leave after it passed 11 and Hyunseung and I agreed we should leave as well.

"Thank you for inviting us, we had a great time.." said Hyunseung bowing a little and smiling at Sora and Yoora. 

"No problem. We had fun as well. We're glad you came." said Sora. They lead us to the door and we stood there. 

"I'll soon you two sometime later. Have a good night." Hyunseung smiled and opened the front door. "See you both later." I said back at them and left with Hyunseung. I walked down the porch stairs and then looked back to see Hyunseung still at the door. He was talking to Yoora. He waved goodbye then came walking up next to me.

"Let's go." he said and began to walk ahead of me with that idiotic smile on his face. 

 

Yoora

I watched as he began to leave. But something brought him coming back. He turned around and came back to the front door looking straight at me.

"Yoora, I would like to take you out on a date." he asked. I stood there shocked at his sudden offer and giggled. 

"A date? S-Sure! I'd love to! W-When do you want to go out?" I was stuttering like a young shy school girl. "Next Saturday. Are you free then?"

"Yeah, of course I am. Um... here's my number..." I took a pen from a night stand by the door. I rolled up his suit and wrote it on his arm. 

"Text or call me with more details." I said smiling at him. Hyunseung looked at me with sparkling eyes and smirked. "I'll see you both later. Thank you. Have a good night." With one last stare at me, he left to go after Gikwang who was waiting for him. Sora closed the front door and after she did I squealed. 

"I haven't ever heard you squeal over a guy, Yoora." Sora said laughing. 

"I don't even know why I'm this excited. But I'm just so happy and nervous and excited all at the same time." I said jumping up and down a bit. 

"We have so much to talk about. Especially about you and Hyunseung." Sora said winking.

"There's nothing to talk about, Sora. Rather than talking about that, how about.... you and Gikwang?" I asked. 

"Gikwang? Well, at the beginning, we danced and then he went to get drinks. He was pulled over by some girl because she wanted to dance with her. So I was basically left alone." My heart stopped. Was she talking about... me and him? Did she find out? But wait... I wanted to dance with him?

"Then I met Hyunseung at the food table and we danced for a while. After that he left to go look for you and I was reunited with Gikwang. We then danced and talked, then you guys came back together." I really hope he didn't do anything stupid.

"So you... like him more?" 

"Of course I like him, but... I don't think he likes me. It was kind of obvious he was looking out for another girl. When I was dancing with him when we reunited, he was looking around for someone. He may not have thought I noticed but I did." Gikwang, you idiot. I really hope he wasn't looking for me.

"I'm sorry, Sora." I said hugging her. I really was. I was the one dancing with him. I don't think Sora knows that, I think she thinks it was some other girl. I hope she does. 

"It's alright. Anyways. Tell me about you and Hyunseung." We laughed. "Well, i was out on the back porch and we just talked. It was really nice. Then we came back and came over to you guys." Sora nodded. 

"So.. what are you going to wear to the date?" I slapped her and we both laughed.

 

*

Sorry, I haven't updated in a while. Got writers' block ;_; So yeah. Gonna try to write the next chapter in the same day. kjlsdflsdjgsdfgklsfdjg.