014. Believe In Your Senses

Either You Don't Love Me or I Don't Love You

 

A few days have passed since the accident, obviously the media have been relaying the information all over the internet and news broadcasts, none of those mentioning Krystal's name since nobody was sure it had been her the girl saved. Fans and popstars alike were worried, doing the best they could to transfer their support to the unconscious girl. Her room was now overflowing with bunches of flowers and support cards that Evey couldn't yet read or see.

 

She woke up on a Saturday. Yuri, Kai and Suho were the only ones that went to watch over her after their professional schedule while everyone else preferred resting or were busy with individual activities. 

 

It was sunny outside, bright rays of warm lights invading the room through the half closed blinds. Sure that Evey wouldn't be able to hear them, the three friends were chatting vividly. It was weird at first, speaking normally in front of her sleeping body as if nothing was wrong, but they slowly got used to it and reminded each other that she will be okay, car accidents weren't such a rare thing after all. 

 

 

" Mc D's? "

" We ate that yesterday already ", Yuri sighed awkwardly lying on the wooden armchair.

" Chinese? Indian? Pizza? " Kai supplied looking at the ceiling. 

" Monday, Tuesday and pizza was Thursday. I don't think I'm even hungry. "

" Me neither. "

" Well I am so I'll just go ord- " Suho pulled his phone out about to dial a number but immediately stopped as they heard a loud gasp. The girl in bed was panting heavily, clutching her chest. " EVEY! " the older boy cried and rushed to her side, the other two behind him. " Evey! You-you're awake! Oh my god, I was so worried. I'm so sorry, Evey. Are you... are you okay?

The older boy squeezed her into a tight embrace, her arms stiff on her sides as she eyed Kai and Yuri as confused as she was a few seconds before. Noticing the lack of response from the girl, Suho let her go, holding her cold hands, a happy smile plastered on his face " Sorry, are you hurt somewhere? I'm sorry I- "

 

" I- " she cleared , her voice was a little hoarse. " I'm...confused? I- ", she stuttered in an accented Korean.

" What's wrong? " Kai approached slightly pushing Suho aside as the latter loosened his grip from her hands.

 

Evey's head was pounding hard, she didn't know why her hip was swollen, she didn't know why she felt a stinging pain in her elbow, she didn't know why she was dressed in that hideous hospital robe, she didn't know why she was in a hospital to start with but most of all she didn't know who those three persons were. And why were they speaking Korean to her? 

 

" I'm gonna call the doctor ", Yuri smiled rushing out the room.

 

" Do you remember what happened? " the older boy asked.

" Actually...I... " the frail girl held her head, liberating her hands and winced from the crushing headache. Her entire body was sore but her legs were numb as if her muscles had been asleep for a while. " What am I doing here? "

" You've been in an accident an- "

" No, what am I doing here, in Korea? " she emphasised. The two boys fell silent, confused by the girl's question.

" Wh-what do you mean? You've been here for- " Kai was cut by the sharp creaking noise as the doctor swiftly entered the room closely followed by Yuri and the nurse.

 

" Good evening Evey, I see you're awake. Do you know where you are and why you're here? "

" Well apparently I'm at a hospital...After an accident. "

" Yes, you're at the Seoul National University Hospital after you've been hit by a car. Do you have any memory of it? "

" I... " the girl sat back against the headboard and massaged her temples. " No, no I don't. Doctor, why am I in Seoul? I don't get it. Where are my parents? Where's Jake? "

 

Hearing the odd questions, Kai stepped forward as Suho frowned.

" 'Vey what's the last thing you remember? " the younger boy asked.

" Erm... " she lowered her head hoping it would help her recollect her memories but her headache persisted as she searched her own mind. " It was...I was at the grocery store...with Jake. We were buying snacks for the game. I think it was France - England if it helps? I don't...I'm confused I want to see my parents. " Her British accent got heavier, her voice shakier. 

" What year do you think we are? " the doctor asked.

" 2012. June? " she firmly replied.

 

The three friends froze, Yuri's slightly jaw dropping. Three years had gone since the cited date.

" Evey, we're in 2015. " the doctor calmly stated.

 

" Wait, WHAT?! " she sat up in a flash, eyes wide open staring at the doctor. " No, no, no, it can't be...it's not... I-I don't get it! I need my parents. Where are they? I want to see them! You're joking! It's just... " she abruptly stopped and held her head, wincing in pain as her headache got sharper, taking her breath away for a few seconds. Kai put his hands on her shoulders trying to calm her down. 

 

" Miss Choi, please calm down. " the middle-aged man urged. "Head trauma is a common thing after such an accident. "

" You said she was fine! " Yuri exclaimed, a worried frown on her forehead.

" Things like these... I'm afraid we can't predict them. Her head must've hit the ground when she fell causing a swelling in her brain leading to- "

" Amnesia. " Kai finished, eyes fixed on Evey as she regained her breath.

" But if you only forgot the last three years... " Suho stepped closer to the bed, " you should remember me right? " he hinted a smile and lifted her chin. " Do you? "

 

A pregnant silent fell on the room as the she stared at the boy's face. His mouth was forming the most mesmerising smile she had ever seen. Except that smily wasn't a happy smile, it had a tinge of sadness and insecurity to it and she got even more dumfounded, feeling that his words were genuine, that she should know him. But she didn't. 

 

" I'm sorry. " she answered dropping her head, nervously fidgeting with her fingers. " I need my parents. " she added as Suho's smile suddenly disappeared, his hand tightly clutching on the bed's metal structure.

 

 

" You've known me all your life, Evey! How can you not remember me?! " he blurt out, visibly hurt that his own best friend would not remember him. " Kim Joonmyun! You know me! You've known me...for all you life, since we were little, even before you moved to the UK! You know me, Evey, you know me! " he took her cold hands and squeezed them firmly. The girl's silence and sorry eyes made him sigh in frustration. " You should remember me...Just...rest. Your parents are on their way. " he said, retreating his hands from hers. " Let's go ", he signalled to his other friends. 

 

As Suho and the doctor headed towards the door, Yuri went to hug the younger girl, both pairs of eyes blurry and wet.

" Even if you don't remember me...I'm glad you're okay ", the elder smiled and brushed Evey's bangs away from her eyes wiping the timid tears away. " It's gonna be alright, Evey ", she comforted her before leaving as Kai approached the bed.

 

" Don't remember me either, huh? " he shyly laughed as she shook her head, returning his smile. 

" I suppose we're friends? "

" Yeah ", he chuckled. " Good friends, even. I'm Kai. "

The boy planted a kiss on her forehead and left her alone as tears fell down her cheek.