I don't think you understand! I don't care!

Just The Way We Are

I walked down the sidewalk, leaves falling around me. I pulled out a cigarette. Lighting it, I watched as the boys ran slightly ahead of me to the park that we were going to. I found a bench and sat down. Crossing my legs, I let the nicotine and other products that inhabited this cigarette absorb into my body. I slowly let the smoke roll from my mouth. I watched as my boys played, laughter filled the air. I was grateful no one else was here. I took another hit of my cigarette.

"That's bad for you, ya know?" I paused. My pulse increasing slightly and my breaths decreasing. I looked up to see my old love. He flipped his reddish brown hair out of his eyes and sat next to me. My mouth fell open, he let out a small laugh and closed my mouth. He leaned forward and kissed me. His tongue started to poke around in my mouth. Finally, I came to my senses. I pulled away. 
"So how's Heechul?"
"Yo-you but how?" he let out a laugh. 
"Calm down." he caressed my face. I felt my pulse immediately drop back down to normal.  
"Why are you here?"
"I'm he-here with my um...kids" he looked at me in disbelief. 
"I thought you were gay?" he asked scooting away. 
"Oh I am. They are my adopted children." I took my last hit and placed my cigarette on the ground, putting it out with my foot. 
"Which one is yours?" he asked looking at the boys playing.
"All three." I said proudly. I watched as they were playing some game they made up.  
"Really? All three, by yourself?" I moved uncomfortably. 
"No. I have a husband." 
"Oh. I should of known that you weren't going to wait forever." he sighed.
"Look. I just didn't think you were going to come back and I just don't know."
"I'm sorry for kissing you." he whispered.
"No don't be. You didn't know." we sat there in awkward silence for a few moments.
"So, who's the man that won over your heart? Do I know him?"
"Um, yeah you do."
"Well who is it?"
"Henry." I said barely above a whisper. I watched as his jaw clenched. 
"Who?" 
"Henry." 
"I was hoping you didn't say that. I mean come on he used to beat you! Why are you with him?!"
"Because I love him." I whispered looking at the ground.
"Ha! Love! That's the funniest thing I've ever heard! Does he still hit you?!" he voice raising with every sentence. I kept quiet, not wanting to answer him. 
"He does doesn't he? Why?" he looked at me with tears streaming from his face. 
"Yah! He loves me and I love him! He just has a bad way of showing it! I'm not prefect either! I've hit him! It's just the way we are!" 
"I understand that you're not perfect but I know when you hit him, you don't hit him that hard or your just playing around. Trust me, I know. We were in a relationship for seven years!" 
"I don't think you understand, it's just the way we are!"
"I don't think you understand! I don't care! Please leave him and come with me, I can take care of you and all the boys. Please." he asked whispering the last part. 
"I-I don't know."