Promise.

Key's Lullaby.

[First of all I am so, so sorry that I'm such a horrible updater. I can't explain how thankful I am that even though it takes me so long to update, I keep getting more subscribers. You guys are truly amazing and I am really, really touched. Thank you very much for believing in me and subsribing. I'm in summer break now, and even though I have to work a lot to make money for my trip to Korea, I will write more. Thank you, thank you, thank you.. Countless thank you's to everyone who has read, subscribed and commented. I love you all. Please continue to let me know what you think and support Key's Lullaby. <3 ]

"Well… You see…" Jinki started.
"The truth." Kibum cut him off. Jinki immediately forgot what he was trying to say and he looked at Minho, but his eyes were just as desperate looking as his own. Jonghyun just stared at Kibum, his mouth opened a bit and his mind was blank. Taemin sighed and got up off the couch. He grabbed Kibum's wrist and pulled him towards the bedroom.
"Come on, Key." he said, his voice full of determination.
"Taemin…" Minho said, his voice sounding like a plead, but also like a warning.
"I am not a little kid, Minho. I know what I'm doing, and you guys obviously don't." With that, Taemin closed the door behind them and didn't bother to lock it. He knew the guys would leave him alone because they knew he was right. He was the only one who was able to handle Kibum when he was like this, memories or not.

"Taemin… Please answer my questio-"
"Hyung. With all the respect, but... Please, be silent and listen to what I have to say." Taemin cut him off strictly. Kibum blinked in surprise and sat down on his bed. Taemin sighed and sat down next to him.
"Look… It can be dangerous for us to help you remember… You must know that." Taemin waited for Kibum to give him a sign, some sort of gesture that would show him that he knew. Kibum nodded.
"Alright…" Taemin continued. "I will help you remember. But!-…" Kibum jumped up to hug Taemin, but when he heard there was a 'but', he sat down again. Taemin put his hand on Kibum's knee and looked at him with serious eyes.
"I want you to listen to what I say, and follow my rules. We're risking a lot here, and I don't want your memories to slip away any further. I'll prepare something tonight and we can start tomorrow. Until then, please be patient."

Taemin made him promise to be patient, and soon after, Kibum fell into a dreamless sleep. While everyone went to bed, Taemin stayed up all night, working on his plan. He had to make Kibum remember, but he had to be careful. The management had planned a comeback already, and it was set for six months later. While the other three members freaked out, Taemin remained calm and started to plan out a way to trigger Kibum's memories. He wasn't sure, but he thought he had found the right way to do just that.

With a proud but tired smile on his face, Taemin attached the calendar to the wall. The first page of the calendar had a recent picture he took of Kibum with some facts. His hight, his weight, his full name, place of birth, current home city. The second page had some more personal facts. Favorite dish, favorite color, favorite movie, favorite drama… The calendar was a countdown to the comeback concert, revealing more and more about Kibum's life as a pop star. Taemin looked at the result and nodded to himself. Satisfied but tired, he dropped himself on the couch and fell asleep right away.

"Tae? Yo Taemin! Wake up! Did you stay up gaming again?" Jonghyun shook Taemin's shoulders in an attempt to wake him, but he failed. Little did he know that Taemin had crashed down on the couch just an hour before he woke up, and it was impossible to wake him for the next couple of hours. Minho walked into the room, scratching his and yawning.
"Morning." He said. Jonghyun returned his greeting before looking back down to the sleeping dancer.
"We need to fix his gaming problem. It's all your fault, Minho!"
"How is it my fault?" Minho argued. Jonghyun raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms in a way Kibum would've, tapping his feet on the ground.
"Stop copying Key." Minho groaned, rolling his eyes and turning around to walk to the kitchen.
"I am not copying Key! And shut up! You'll wake up the others!"
"Like I said. Copying Key." Minho stated, walking to the kitchen. "Jjongie Umma!" He said in a nagging voice, stretching out the words. "Make me breakfast!"
"You are going down." Jonghyun said in a low voice, and he followed Minho into the kitchen.
"Bring it on, Umma!" Minho teased.
"Shut up, frog face!"
"Guys… Noise…" both Minho and Jonghyun turned their heads to look at the bedroom door, where Jinki was leaning against the wall, massaging his forehead with a sleepy look in his eyes.
"See what you've done?" Jonghyun hissed. Minho stuck out his tongue in reply. Jinki scratched his head and walked to the kitchen. He stopped when he was halfway there and tilted his head, looking at the wall.
"Was this.. here before?" he asked. Jonghyun turned his head to the direction where Jinki was looking at and frowned.
"I don't think so… What is this?"
"it's a calendar, you idiot. It says so. Can't you read?" Minho pointed out the letters on the first page of the calendar.

'Key hyung's memory calendar.'

"Wh-what is that kid trying to do?!" Jonghyun exclaimed, pointing in Taemin's direction.
"I think he's trying to make Key's memories return." Jinki mumbled.
"You don't say!" Jonghyun yelled, and he took the calendar off the wall, flipping through the pages. There were pictures of Key, pictures of him through the years.. Pictures of him at photo shoots and eventually pictures of the band.
"This has to leave. We can't risk Kibum's memories like this! He might lose more! We've just started to build up our friendships with him again… I refuse to throw that away." With that, Jonghyun walked to the trashcan and opened it.
"Wait!" Minho said. "Don't take conclusions like that without discussing with us, first! I believe this could actually work! Didn't Taemin tell us that he knew what he was doing? Look at the kid… He's exhausted… Can't you at least wait for him to explain? He'd be upset if you threw it away like that."
Jonghyun wanted to argue with him, but Jinki cut him off.
"I agree. Jonghyun, put it back." He was using his 'leader' voice, and Jonghyun couldn't help but give in. He pushed the calendar into Minho's hands and walked back to the bedroom. He wanted to climb back on his bed, but he changed his mind and sat down underneath it, next to where Kibum was still sleeping. Carefully, Jonghyun some of Kibum's hair out of his face, cupping his cheek and caressing the soft skin with his thumb.
"I will not let them make it worse, Kibum. I promise." He whispered, and he hesitatingly lied down next to the younger boy, softly wrapping one arm around him.
"I'll protect you." he said, and he sealed his promise with a soft kiss.