Too late

At the last minute

Baekho´s telephone rang again when there were only three customers before them.

"It´s Ren again!" Baekho said while he tried not to yell. A couple of heads still turned in their direction with the sound of his loud voice, looking disapprovingly at them. NU´EST gathered around the telephone as the only sound, which came out of it at first, was motor sounds. Then they heard Ren´s whispering voice sounding very weak and low as if he was too scared to speak. 
"hyung.... Baekho" there was something strange about his voice as if he wasn´t close to the phone and on the same time lay down.
"yes, yes I´m here. We´re here... we´re going to save you Ren" Baekho replied before any of the others could answer. JR took the word trying to stay calm and reasonable:
"Ren, do you know where you are?" he asked.
"In a car. I think we´re moving" Ren answered. They looked at each other, terrified.
"Do you know where you´re going?" Aron asked nervously not caring about making speech errors in this situation. Not even Baekho corrected him.
"To a river... he kept talking about a river. Hyung I´m scared... my arm hurts" it sounded like Ren cried, something he nearly never did.
They didn´t notice that the motor sounds had stopped before Ren screamed into the phone:
"Please, no... no I don´t want to!" the line was cut off and NU´EST could only imagine what was happening.
"We have fifteen minutes to get the money and go to the river... we can´t make it in time... we must find him now with or without the money!" JR decided, and this time there were no disagreement, all the others nodded. JR didn´t exactly know how they would get Ren back without paying the money, but they could at least try to be there on time, maybe to ask for some more. They ran out of the bank and called a taxi because a bus wouldn´t go fast enough.They had only been driving for a few minutes before they was stuck in a traffic jam.
"No way! This just can´t be happening!" Baekho screamed making the taxi driver jump in his seat. Minhyun looked out of the window only to discover that the traffic didn´t move at all as long as he was available to see. Aron looked at the screen that showed how much they owned the driver, nervously staring at the increasing number on it. He hoped that JR had enough money to pay or else they were doomed. JR apparently though the same cause he said:
"We can´t wait... we aren´t going anywhere like this. We run from here" he paid the driver - who didn´t seem all happy being left in a traffic jam he didn´t even get paid to be in - and jumped out of the car closely followed by Baekho and the others. Baekho didn´t took time to think about it for one more minute before he began to run. Minhyun looked at his watch while he ran and felt his how his body suddenly felt much heavier. They didn´t make it. It was already over time. He looked at JR and Aron and knew that they had discovered the same fact just now. Baekho still ran in front of them with no intention to give up. The others followed him because they couldn´t afford to give up hope, but their hearts felt as heavy as stones.
 
"Apparently they aren´t going to make it in time" the man turned and looked at Ren, who he had just tied to a stone. They was on a bridge, him standing while Ren sat in front of him looking unhealthy pale. There were no human beings on the streets and the emptiness gave the place a supernatural feeling.
"Just wait a little more... I know they´ll be here... I know" Ren begged, hoping that he was right.
"I have already given them five minutes. That must be enough. I´m sorry little friend" he lifted the stone and looked Ren into the eyes looking disappointed in some way. Ren followed the stone because it would hurt him if he didn´t. He breath deep and slow feeling his heart beat fast.
"Have a nice trip," the man friendly said before he threw the stone into the water pushing Ren with it at the same time.