Episode 2

Secret Diary

[Temari Cafe][8:18am]
Ai: (sitting outside cafe on a table)(looks around) hmm... he's not here....
Tsuyoshi: (comes) umm.. Fujiwara-chan?
Ai: (turns around quickly) yes!! 
Tsuyoshi: oh.. that's good... i thought i got the wrong girl for a minute there... haha...
Ai: haha... it's okay... i don't look too different from other girls.. (smiles)
Tsuyoshi: umm... so.. do you want to stay here the whole time?
Ai: how much time do we have?
Tsuyoshi: i'm not sure... i don't think it's limited..
Ai: oh, okay... umm... did you want me to call Haru and Sakura to make sure?
Tsuyoshi: uh.. sure.. if you want... 
Ai: okay, wait up a bit, okay? 
Tsuyoshi: okay.. (Ai calls them)(after a few minutes)
Ai: they said the whole day or however much time we need...
Tsuyoshi: good.. i don't want you to be bored, so i'm not sure you'd like to stay here long...
Ai: oh it's okay... i'm pretty sure first time is always weird...
Tsuyoshi: you've been on other dates...
Ai: (smile slowly fades) uh-- no... i.. never even had a boyfriend... (Tsuyoshi nods and they sit in silence for like twenty seconds)so.. what about you?
Tsuyoshi: huh? oh.. i had a girlfriend once.. her name was Ai too...
Ai: ohh.... (sit in silence for another ten seconds)
Tsuyoshi: did you want to drink anything?
Ai: umm.. if you want something..
Tsuyoshi: okay let's go... (goes inside and Ai follows)
cashier: hello, how can i help you guys?
Tsuyoshi: umm... (looks at the menu)
cashier: do you guys want the 'Cute Couples' combo?
Ai: 'Cute Couples' combo?
cashier: mm hmm.. you get a sweet drink and a bitter drink, mix it together with one cup and two straws.. then it tastes very good and different.. and you also get some Taro Bread to go along with it..
Tsuyoshi: i thought you guys were a cafe..
cashier: oh yeah.. but this is new.. my boss wants to try something else... we got a new boss also..
Ai: oh... do you like him?
cashier: her.. but um. i don't really like her.. she is very strict.. and mean... and anyways... did you guys want the 'Cute Couples' combo?
Tsuyoshi: uhh.. yeah, i guess... (looks at Ai and smiles shyly)(Ai smiles back)
[after 10 minutes]
waiter: (goes to their table) okay here's your stuff and i hope you enjoy... (goes back to kitchen)
Ai: so.. which one do you want to pour into which one?
Tsuyoshi: what?
Ai: uh.. which flavor do you want to pour? bitter or sweet? maybe we should pour the bitter into the sweet... (is about to pour the bitter drink into the sweet drink)
Tsuyoshi: (grabs Ai hand) let's do the opposite...
Ai: huh? why?
Tsuyoshi: putting the bitter into the sweet means putting troubles into a beautiful thing... putting the sweet into the bitter means adding happiness into a bad thing...
Ai: ohh... (smiles)(Tsuyoshi smiles at her) okay.. (slips out of Tsuyoshi's hand and pours the sweet one into the bitter drink) 

[Sasanoyuki restaurant][8:36am]
Haru: tofu in chicken broth? 
customer: yes please...
Haru: okay it'll be out in just a minute okay? (Haru goes into the back)
Sakura: Haru, i can't do this anymore... 
Haru: what? make tofu?
Sakura: yes.. i know this is just part-time, but it's really hard... it's makes my hand all wrinkly and old..
Haru: it's okay... it's worth it...
Sakura: i wish this would be over soon....
[8:51am]
manager: (pushes Haru and Sakura out the front door) and don't come back!!! you guys can't even take the right dishes to the right people!!
Sakura: sir, we've only been working for two half days, you have to give us a chance!!!
Haru: right!! we'll do better, we promise!!
manager: i don't care!!! go home!! or find another job!! i don't care!!! no more chances for you two!! (goes back inside restaurant)
Sakura: (looks at Haru and they both start walking off) ahhhh..... Haru... we really need to find jobs now... we can't keep doing this...
Haru: (nods) i agree... but what's there to do? it's really hard to find a job in Ibaraki...
Sakura: then what do we do? wash dishes?
[another restaurant][9:14am]
worker: so since a lot of these pans are very hard to scrub, you'll have to use lots of soap and the metal scrubber, not the sponge... okay?
Sakura: yes...
worker: good.. i don't really want to tire your hands just yet, so i'll help you guys...
Haru: oh.. thank you...
worker: anytime...
[park][9:24am]
Tsuyoshi: did you like the drink?
Ai: yeah... it tasted really good...
Tsuyoshi: ohh... (walks in silence for five-ten seconds) soo.. i think we should do something...
Ai: like..?
Tsuyoshi: we should... go ride a ride... a water ride... 
Ai: hmm? a water ride? 
Tsuyoshi: mm hmm... let's go.. i'll show you... (grabs Ai's hand and goes to the water ride)
[water ride line][9:48am]
Ai: the line is really long and slow.. we've been waiting here for so long already...
Tsuyoshi: it's only been five minutes...
Ai: but we haven't moved anywhere...
Tsuyoshi: (chuckles) i guess that's true... it's really hot too...
Ai: maybe we should just go to a water park...
Tsuyoshi: water park?
Ai: mm hmm... it'd be quicker and easier... 
Tsuyoshi: wanna go?
Ai: let's go... (they both walk to Tsuyoshi's car)(Tsuyoshi is trying to start the car, but it won't work) what's wrong?
Tsuyoshi: i don't know...
Ai: are you out of fuel?
Tsuyoshi: no.. it's full... i think the engine popped.. (goes out and checks engine and lots of smoke is coming out of the engine)
Ai: (comes out) what happened?
Tsuyoshi: my tank blew up...
Ai: i'll call the tow company.. (calls tow company)
Tsuyoshi: mind: oh no.. not this again... this can't be happening, right?
Hitomi: (Tsuyoshi takes out his phone and calls Hitomi) hello?
Tsuyoshi: you on lunch break already?
Hitomi: yeup.. last 30 minutes...
Tsuyoshi: oh okay.. um.. i might have to come home a little later today...
Hitomi: it's okay take your time....
Tsuyoshi: okay.. um.. tell Ken that my car is going to be at the tow company...
Hitomi: (silent for a while) uhh.. Tsuyoshi.. Ken and i.. we got a divorce... so.. i'll have to pick it up after work.. or you can call Ryuu and Kenji to pick it up for you..
Tsuyoshi: oh... okay... i'll call Ryuu... 
Hitomi: okay.. i'm sorry..
Tsuyoshi: why are you sorry? it's not your fault.. okay, bye sis... (hangs up)(calls Ryuu) Hey Ryuu...
Ryuu: what?
Tsuyoshi: my car's at the tow company.. can you go pick it up for me?
Ryuu: sure.. what time?
Tsuyoshi: maybe... 12 or 1.. because they have to replace my engine. it blew up...
Ryuu: oh, okay.. bye then.. oh yeah!! how's Ai?
Tsuyoshi: oh.. she's nice.. 
Ryuu: you liking her so far?
Tsuyoshi: she's okay i guess.. but it's awkward because i don't have anything to talk about with her...
Ryuu: she liked bowling when she was a kid.. she might still like it now.. okay i gotta go.. bye.. (hangs up)
Tsuyoshi: oh.. (puts his phone in his pocket) umm.. i guess we'll catch a bus? or taxi?
Ai: mm hmm!! that's fine with me!! (smiles) (Tsuyoshi smiles) are we still going to the water park, then?
Tsuyoshi: yeah... let's go to the bus stop... i think it's faster... (Ai nods)
[bus stop][9:54am]
Tsuyoshi: where's the bus?
Ai: i don't know.. maybe got stuck in traffic..
Tsuyoshi: it's so irritating.. i don't like how they make us wait so long...
Ai: it's part of the routine i think... a very long wait, for the same amount of price.. which usually if you wait longer, you would want to pay less.. and if you still have to pay the same amount, then they are making money... right?
Tsuyoshi: wait.. these are the buses you have to pay for?
Ai:  yeah it says right there... (points to sign)
Tsuyoshi: ahh!! (looks around for a different bus stop)(spots another bus stop) let's go to that one... (takes Ai and walks over to the other bus stop)
Ai: this one looks scary... 
Tsuyoshi: how? 
Ai: look around.. (there's a whole bunch of high schoolers loitering around the bus stop)
Tsuyoshi: it's not too bad.. i guess it's worth the wait... right?
Ai: and the money... ahha...
Tsuyoshi: yeah i guess... [5 minutes later, the bus arrives]
bus driver: which people are getting on?
Tsuyoshi: oh, we are... 
bus driver: well hurry up, i'm late already...
Ai: okay.. (gets on bus)
Tsuyoshi: (in the bus) hey, bus driver.. if you don't mind.. i'll pay you if you make the ride a little longer..
bus driver: by driving slower?
Tsuyoshi: no.. just take the long route to the water park...
bus driver: 500 yen...
Tsuyoshi: deal... (gives her 500 yen and she drives off)
Ai: (tsuyoshi comes sits down next to Ai) what happened?
Tsuyoshi: i paid our fees...
Ai: we had to pay?
Tsuyoshi: yeah.. didn't you read the sign? 
Ai: no.. oh my god... i am so sorry.. i'll pay you back.. how much did it cost?
Tsuyoshi: i'll tell you later.. pay me back later...
Ai:  are you sure? i wanna make sure you get your money back..
Tsuyoshi: if you pay me now, will you have enough money to go to the water park?
Ai: i'm not sure... but we don't have to go to the water park... 
Tsuyoshi: we don't?
Ai: well.. i'm not sure.. but we don't have to if you don't want to...
Tsuyoshi: you want to don't you?
Ai: well... (Tsuyoshi smiles at Ai)(Ai smiles back and looks out the window)
[water park][10: 16am]
Tsuyoshi: let's go to that ride!!
Ai: it's not a ride.. it's a slide...
Tsuyoshi: same difference...
Ai: you're not going to wait until you get a little dry first?
Tsuyoshi: no.. it doesn't matter.. you'll get wet on any of the rides or slides...
Ai: right... okay let's go!! (drags Tsuyoshi onto the slide)
[bottom of the slide]
Ai: that was so fun!! we should so it again!!
Tsuyoshi: first, let's go try other ones...
Ai: okay... 
Tsuyoshi: mmm... actually.. (spots a beach) let's go to the beach over there...
Ai: a beach?! where?! (Tsuyoshi points to the beach) i love the beach!!! (runs off first)
Tsuyoshi: mind: (smiles to himself) she's really enjoying herself... (follows after Ai)
Ai: (talking to store keeper) okay.. two then..
store keeper: for rent or are you going to buy them?
Ai: just renting...
Store keeper: how long?
Ai: an hour or two..
store keeper: okay.. 750 yen... (Ai gives him the money)
Tsuyoshi: did you get it?
Ai: yup!! (Tsuyoshi looks at Ai's clothes and she is wearing a surfing suit) what's wrong?
Tsuyoshi: huh? oh nothing.. just.. it's really hot..
Ai: i know.. hey.. i got us two rented surf boards!!!
Tsuyoshi: surfing?
Ai: mm hmm!!! i love surfing.. before my dad and mom got divorced, my dad taught me how...
Tsuyoshi: your parents got divorced and you're happy about it?
Ai: well they still love eachother a lot and they just live seperately even though by law they are divorced...
Tsuyoshi: oh.. my sister just got divorced with her husband....
Ai: why?
Tsuyoshi: i don't know.. they don't tell me personal stuff...
Ai: oh... well... why don't we go surfing now? yes?
Tsuyoshi: (smiles and nods) Let's do this... (makes a fist next to his head)
[after 30 minutes of surfing]
Ai: that was so fun!!
Tsuyoshi: glad you liked it...
Ai: what? it was my idea to go surfing how would i not like it?
Tsuyoshi: i'm glad you liked it... 
Ai: hey.. you say it like you were the one who came up with the idea to go surfing.. (Tsuyoshi smiles at Ai) you liar!!! (she chases and hits hit playfully) i came up with the idea!!
Tsuyoshi: okay okay stop chasing me already!! i'm glad that you like the idea of surfing!! (Tsuyoshi laughs as he runs away slowly so Ai can catch up)

[in front of Ai's house][8:23pm]
Tsuyoshi: you think your mom'll be mad?
Ai: no.. she knew about it...
Tsuyoshi: she did? (Ai nods) did you tell her?
Ai: no.. Haru and Sakura did...
Tsuyoshi: oh.. those are your friends who hooked you up?
Ai: mm hmm.. they're really nice, too...
Ai's mom: (comes outside and stands on porch) Ai!!! (looks and sees Tsuyoshi) oh!! the boy is here, too!!! young man, come on in!! dinner is just ready!!
Tsuyoshi: oh, it's okay Fujiwara-sama...
Ai's mom: '-sama'? Ai did you hear that? he called me -sama.... 
Ai: i know.. i heard...
Tsuyoshi: Mrs.Fujiwara, i should be going home soon.. my sister'll worry about me... She's a little protective...
Ai's mom: oh, i see.. girls.. we always want to make sure things go perfectly fine, right? (Tsuyoshi smiles) well, just come in... give me her phone number and i'll phone her while we're setting up the table... come in.. Ai, bring him in... (walks inside first)
Ai: (looks at Tsuyoshi nervously) umm.. did you want to come in?
Tsuyoshi: oh.. uhh.. maybe not.. my sister will be overly worried if i don't get home by 9.. so.. it's okay.. i'll just go home...
Ai: oh.. are you sure....?
Tsuyoshi: yeah.... .... ....so... i'll be going home... bye...
Ai: mm.. bye... (Tsuyoshi smiles and leaves)