Without U

Beneath the Seoul-filled Sky

Author's Note: Yeah, so I'm practically basically done with this story for the most part, I think. Probably a few more chapters or so. And it intersects with "Time To Love" ^^ So, I hope you're enjoying both. I'll be posting two other fanfictions soon after these get finished. They won't connect though, I think. ^^

Junho had been on his morning run along the beach. He did it every morning to stay in shape while they were here. And it was nice to have some alone time before he had to start work. Though he felt he hadn’t really had as rigourous a schedule as before, so he was able to wait until after the sunrise to start. This morning when he left the hotel, he had seen Haneul walking outside to the beach. He would have said “hello”. But Junho wasn’t much of a morning person and she looked to be in her own world.

            Honestly, he didn’t talk to her much until a few nights ago. He had never exactly known what to say to her. Junho knew all about Haneul thanks to Taecyeon who chattered on about her endlessly. She was born here, she lived there, she likes this, she hates that, and so on. It got to the point where they were all sick of hearing about since they did see her constantly and now had nothing to ask her since Taecyeon had told them her life story.

            Don’t get Junho wrong, he liked her, but knowing everything about a person and having not talked to them was weird. At least for him, the others were clever enough to find stupid topics to discuss but he just never found anything. Until the other night when she had plopped down next to him on a couch at the club. This was after Yoona escorted Taecyeon to the dance floor with some of her friends cheering her on. The other boys hadn’t noticed since they were busy with their own girls. Even Nichkhun who dutifully looked over everyone was standing in the corner with his cell phone, angrily jamming his keys. Junho knew exactly who he was texting. He had sighed seeing his hyung this way.

            “Why aren’t you dancing Junho-oppa?” She had asked him casually, crossing one leg over the other. He wondered that himself. He just wasn’t in the mood tonight for any of this.

            “I don’t have to ask why you’re not dancing,” he replied. Haneul laughed softly at this.

            “Yeah…” she said. Haneul hadn’t spoken much after that and Junho felt a little bad. But then she suddenly started asking him questions, which turned into a full-out conversation for the rest of the night. Her chatter started dying off when she saw Taecyeon with his arm supporting Yoona. They were headed towards the door of the VIP room, presumably back to the hotel.

           “Well, that’s not compromising at all,” she observed. “Aigo, how am I going to get home?” From other girls, he would guess they were expecting him to them home. But he could tell from Haneul it was a general concern.

            “I’m ready to leave now if you want to come with me.”

            “Chincha?

            “Ne, kaja.” He stood and Haneul followed suit. She bowed to him thankfully and he brushed her off. “It’s nothing.” As they were leaving, Wooyoung came up to them.

            “Can I leave with you all? Omo, Haneul, where’s Taec-hyung?”

            “I think Yoona-ssi wasn’t feeling well, so he offered to take her back,” Haneul said easily. Wooyoung seemed to accept this and nodded.

            “So he just left you?”

            “Aniyo, it’s not like that,” she assured him.

            “If you say so…”

            “Let’s go then,” Junho announced.

            And so Haneul was escorted back to the hotel by Wooyoung and himself. She thanked them both profusely, but Junho more so since he offered in the first place.

            “Junho-oppa, you have my number, right? We should hang out sometime. I never talk to you.”

            “Oh…” His small eyes widened. Then he smiled. “Okay.” Wooyoung looked between them anxiously.

            “Wooyoung-oppa can come too,” she added. This caused a smile to break out on his features.

            “Okay! Woohoneul hang out session will be happening soon!”

            She laughed and waved good night. They hadn’t hung out yet since Haneul was doing some bonding time with her new-found uncle and mother. They made such an odd pair. Anyway, back to the present.

            Junho was finishing up his morning run when he saw Haneul sitting on the sandy beach just ahead of him. Her hair was obstructing her face and she seemed to be muttering to herself.

            “Haneul?” he called out to her. She pushed her hair out of her face and looked around.

            “Junho-oppa? Omo, what are you doing here? Ohhhh, you must have been working out…” she said. Junho walked over to her and knelt beside her. She was facing towards the blue ocean and the sun was steadily rising in the sky.

            “Yeah, I went for a run. But, what are you doing here?”

            “I was writing. I saw Taecyeon-oppa. I broke up with him.”

            “Bwoh?! Broke up? You and hyung???”

            “Yeah…” She relayed the story to him without any emotion except anger. He could hear no pain in her voice and then she laughed. Junho peered closer to her face and gasped.

            “Haneul…why are you crying? When you’re laughing like that?” She wiped at her eyes blithely and shrugged her shoulders.

            “Oppa, I haven’t cried since my appa’s funeral. Why am I crying right now? Do I really care for him that much?” Haneul let out a sigh and fell back onto the sand.

            “Ya, the sand is dirty, you’ll mess up your dress.”

            “I don’t care. The sun feels nice. I’m so confused…”

            Junho kicked lightly at the sand, staring at it. Should he sit? Or should he go find Taecyeon to fix this mess? He had no idea his hyung was so clueless. All Junho knew was that he did not want to be dealing with a depressed hyung…oh wait, he was leaving for a few days. Maybe they did need a short break to figure out whatever it was they were going through. Instead of texting Taecyeon, Junho quickly sent one to Wooyoung. His silly hyung was probably still asleep, but he would try anyway.

            Little Rain finally sat down on the sand, wincing as his pants came in contact with it. They sat in silence. Junho watched the waves crash against the shore and Haneul was staring at the cloudless sky. Junho didn’t know what to say to her. Was she sad? Should he cheer her up? Why were girls so difficult?

            So he tried something. It probably wouldn’t work, but he tried anyway. Junho swallowed and then tried one of his impressions. To be specific, his fish one.

            Haneul immediately started laughing loudly and sat up. Junho buried his head in his hands.

            ”Oppa, please never do that again,” she ordered, shaking her head.

            “This is what I get for trying to be nice.”

            “Nice? That was so weird.”

            “Well, you were crying…” he mumbled. “What else am I supposed to do?”

            “Don’t be silly, Junho. I’m fine. Seriously.”

            “I wonder what Jin young-hyung will say about this…”

           “What do you mean? About Taecyeon-oppa and I? Omo, I’m sure we’ll get back together,” she said brightly.

            “WHAT?!” Junho was now convinced she was crazy. Wasn’t she just crying?

            Giggling, she explained herself. “This may sound ridiculous, but I think what that stupid oaf and I have is sort of special. I’m sorry to sound so utterly silly, but I think that. And some skinny giraffe is not going to get in the way of that. Even though we’ve dated for such a short time, I feel as if he thinks that I’m the type to not get mad over things like that. Well, for him, but I do!”

            “Haneul, I thought that perhaps you were too normal for hyung, but you have just proven to me that you’re crazy. Aishhh, it’s a match made in psycho heaven…”

            “That’s probably true,” she agreed.

            “What do you two even do when you’re together?”

            Haneul flashed him a mischievous grin and said, “Do you really wanna know?”

            “Not that! Just like when you hang out, what do you two do? All Taecyeon-hyung normally does is go online and I don’t see how that can be a couple activity.”

            “Actually, we look at funny videos and random stuff online all the time…he’ll show me some old live videos of you and talk about how cool he was, when he obviously was not. And I’ll show him my cool websites I go to all the time…” she trailed off upon finding her companion face-first in the sand. “Don’t be like that. We watch movies too…online. Then we make sweet beastly love!”

            “Aaggghhhh, noooooooo!!! Why would you even????” Junho clapped his hands over his ears and rolled around in the sand. He had seemed to have forgotten about keeping clean. “You’re like a female version of him, yet you hide it so well.”

            “Ya!” she shouted at him. Junho blinked at her yell, which sounded actually quite gruff and manly. What in the—

            “Taecyeon?”