Tik Tok

Beneath the Seoul-filled Sky

Karaoke night in background. Appropriate girl group music being performed in background.

            Shinyoung is standing alone near a tree, watching the crowd from afar. Her face is wistful as she craves to be a part of this joy and frivolity that the others feel on their first night of summer break. But, she doesn’t know anyone here. This is her first time out of Seoul. She’s here for her sister’s beautiful June wedding to a chaebol. The people who are here are her sister’s friends, her future brother-in-law’s friends. She herself knows none of them. But the show is pleasant to watch and the atmosphere is lively. Yet, she just wishes to be a part of it all instead of being outside of this.

            And then she sees him. Taller than most of the crowd, he had a fine athletic figure and a handsome face. He is talking to a group of guys, who are just as attractive as he. Though it is apparent they all have their own distinct personalities. He looks like the strong silent type, but a raise of his eyebrows and a silly grin breaks that illusion. She doesn’t stop to take notice of the other guys since she is so captivated by him.

            “Who is he?” she wonders aloud. And gasps at the realization that she spoke. But no one heard and she is safe. But he looks her way, his eyes confused. When he sees her face, his expression clears and he looks smitten. He stares at her as if she was the most beautiful girl in the world. He is Jihoon, cousin to the fiancée. But Shinyoung does not know this and smiles shyly at him. At that point, nothing else matters to either of them. The music begins to swell.

            Cue pre-recorded track set on beach at night. Song entitled, “Starlit Love”.

            The song draws to a close and Shinyoung turns to leave, Jihoon follows.

Sitting on a bench are two girls, resort workers, called Chaerin and Minjung. Chaerin is a bubbly girl with lots of aegyo and Minjung is her more mature friend whom boys often fall for initially. Though she isn’t conventionally pretty, there’s something about her attitude that attracts men.

            “They’re here for an entire two weeks,” commented Minjung, surveying the crowd that had joined for a wedding that was not until next week.

            “Omo, I know. We’ll have so much work to do! At least we’re not housekeeping though…” Her eyes wander around them and she notices two boys heading towards them. They’re approximately the same height. One walks with a sort of effortless cool that is innate not learned while the other looks around distastefully at everyone, clearly feeling an air of superiority to those who surrounded him. They were both the sons of wealthy chaebols, Yunho and Donghae.

            “Wow, so handsome,” Chaerin whispers, eyeing Yunho with her hands clasped over her heart. Minjung followed her friends gaze, nodding absently in agreement.

            “The one on the left looks like he has a bad attitude,” she replied, noting the sneer on his face.

            Yunho walked with a certain swagger that Chaerin couldn’t help but fall for on first sight. He on the other hand, saw her as nothing more than a clone of all the other girls he had seen in his life and she was too cutesy for his taste. The girl at her side intrigued him however.

            Donghae noticed his friend’s attention was being drawn to a pair of girls. One was unsmiling and he quickly passed over her, while the other was positively beaming at her surroundings.

            He tilted his head to the side finding that she looked familiar. Yunho elbowed his friend and nodded at him to hurry up. They already had other plans with a different pair of girls.

 

            “Look at him, hyung. He’s trying really hard and she’s not feeling it at all,” quipped a youthful-looking Chunghee to his taller friend. The person in question was their tall dongseng, Hyunki, who was awkwardly leaning over a quiet-looking girl. She was responding to him politely with head nods while her eyes were always on her feet. This was Eunhee, the lone daughter of a wealthy bank owner.

            Chunghee’s friend was barely listening as his vision was being drawn in by a tall girl who was laughing carelessly with her friend whose eyes were smiling along with her lips in amusement.

            “Kwangho hyung, are you listening to me? What are you looking at---oh!”

            “Ahh, Jinae-unni, you’re so bad. We should help that girl. She looks so uncomfortable,” the taller one said.

            “You’re right. C’mon, let’s save her. Poor thing!” Jinae held out her arm to Micha. With linked arms, they made their way over to Hyunki and Eunhee.

            “Omo, you look so familiar! Doesn’t she, Micha?”

            “Unni, she really does. But from where??” The two girls sighed sadly, pretending to rack their brain. Eunhee stared at the older girls in confusion and then slowly a knowing smile grew on her face.

            “Perhaps from dance class?”

            “Oh, that’s it!”

            “It is!! Come get a drink with us. It’s so hot tonight.”

            “O-okay.” Before Hyunki was able to respond, the song changed to “Mister” and the girls all squealed though Eunhee’s was more a meek squeak.

            “I love this song!” As they chatted about the Kara, Micha and Jinae successfully saved Eunhee from the looming Hyunki. He threw up his hands in frustration and looked back to his hyungs who were now laughing at him.

            “I’ll find out the name of my destined girl. I can’t get her pure smile out of my mind.”

            “You won’t be the prettiest girl I’ve dated, but you have a iness I can’t deny.”

            “Why does your sunny smile make me want to smile? Why do I want to know you?”

            “One day, I’ll get you to hold a real conversation with me.”

            “Who are you? When you laugh, I want to know what made you laugh. Can I make you laugh like that?”

            “Wah, such adorable smiling eyes. With my mandu cheeks, is it too early to say we’ll have the best looking kids?”

            The scene faded to black.