I Hate You

Beneath the Seoul-filled Sky

This was the first complete scene from the movie. JYP sat in his chair at the head of the long conference table, quiet after the screen went black. He spun his chair to face the seventeen young adults whose opinion he desired to hear. The directors, writer, and choreographers were also all present to offer their opinion. Everyone was silent.

            “This is really cheesy, hyung,” Junho announced. A few heads in the room nodded in agreement.

            “That’s the entire point!” The director shouted with some encouraging from the writing staff. “We are going for a Korean Bollywood theme. Very dramatic and cheesy, but in the end, you cannot turn away.”

            “That explains the random song break before anyone even spoke,” muttered Haneul.

            “You’re just upset because you got replaced,” one of the writers shot back. Most of the room looked surprised that the writer dared to talk like that to the niece of his employer.

            JYP tightened his lips at the blatant disrespect and Jae Hwa leaned forward in her chair. Before either could condemn the writer, Taecyeon quickly defended her. “Show some respect, hyung. Haneul-sshi is allowed to express her opinion. That is what we’re here for. Now apologize.” His voice boomed across the room and the writer-hyung anxiously swallowed at the idol’s glare. He stuttered out a weak apology, which didn’t satisfy Taecyeon.

            “Taecyeon, it’s okay,” Haneul whispered to him in English, placing a hand on his arm. Most of the room had a simple understanding of English, but they understood that at least. The English speakers (Tiffany, Jessica, Khun, JYP, Anna and Jae Hwa) leaned in instinctively to see what would happen next.

            “Trust me, it’s not. I’ll explain later though.” Taecyeon cleared his throat. “Sorry hyung, continue.” He said to JYP, who felt like a proud father. Who knew the bumbling beast idol had such a sense of honour? Perhaps they all were really growing up and not just building muscle.

            “Let’s do it this way,” he began. “If you are not an idol, related to me, or named Anna please leave.” There was a bit of confusion but the working staff filed out leaving SNSD, 2PM, Haneul, her mother and Anna. “Now, I am not sure if you all had realized or not, but recently I have presented you all with some interesting projects. Well, not all of you, just SNSD recently.” He chuckled and leaned back against his chair. Drumming his fingers on the desk, JYP was trying to figure out the best way to explain this. Was it too soon? Yes, it was. So, he needed a new plan of action.

            “Well, So Nye Shi Dae is apparently needed back in Seoul for some events. And they will be leaving probably tomorrow for a week or so. This, naturally, affects our filming schedule. But I allotted time for this. I have called in some help from some friends of mine and we will be throwing an impromptu concert in Jeju city, sort of like our guerilla concert in Hongdae.”

            “Friends? Like who?” asked a few voices. JYP ignored them and then informed everyone that they could leave.

            Once again the members were left flummoxed at their producer’s actions. Lately, these projects they had been assigned had been left unfinished or abandoned. They weren’t quite sure how to take this new JYP and how he was handling them. Perhaps all the gossip sites were right and he was giving up on his group. Maybe he’d leave them and take the Wonder Girls to America again.

            “Oh yes, there will be a small party for you all before So Nye Shi Dae leaves in the morning. They had expressed interest to me in having a get-together with all the young people. So, tonight at eight a bus will take you to the club. Please enjoy yourselves. I may stop by later. We’ll see what happens.”

            The idols all just sat there staring at JYP. A few of the 2PM members were beginning to question his sanity, especially Chansung who was looking open-mouthed at his hyung. President just did not hand off their talent to party with another idol group. Did the girls’ manager know about this?

            “Now, So Nye Shi Dae and 2PM may leave while I talk to my family.” The idols slowly shuffled out of the room. As SNSD went to their respective rooms, Junsu called an emergency group meeting.

            The group found themselves in the Jun Bros. room, sprawled across the beds.

            “Haven’t these past couple weeks been really odd?” Junsu began, the only member standing. He was pacing in front of the beds, muttering in the Daegu dialect.

            “Hyung’s right.” Wooyoung had stopped by his room for an ice cream cone and was currently finishing it. He looked down at his sticky hands and then at Chansung who was laying in front of him. Casually, Wooyoung wiped his hands on the maknae’s back. Luckily he was too involved in his own thoughts to notice. “Jin-young-hyung has been extremely lax with us lately. It’s like he’s purposefully creating scandal opportunities for us.”

            “And only one of us has slipped up,” Junho said, throwing Taec a not so subtle look.

            “I wouldn’t call it a slip-up. I wanted everyone to know,” he replied casually. The emperor idol rolled his eyes and mumbled, “You’re probably the reason he gave up on us.”

            “I don’t think he’s given up on us,” Nickhun stated thoughtfully. “He’s planning something else and this is to keep us busy, I think. I doubt that he anticipated Taecyeon and Haneul to become an item though.”

            “No one expected that since he normally never chases after a girl. Just creeps from afar.” Junsu was referring to photos that had surfaced of Taec taking photos of Yubin from the Wonder Girls while she was performing.  

            Taecyeon ignored their digs and leaned back against the headboard. He was happy everyone knew that Haneul was his girlfriend. Granted, he was very lucky that there had not been any death threats since it was revealed.

            “I think he’s planning something too,” Chansung agreed, moving his head from side to side on the bed. “He’s trying to fix our reputation in Korea, but there’s only one way to do that and that’s to bring Jaebom-hyung back.”

            “That’s impossible though,” Junho reminded him. The members all sighed, drifting into their own memories of fallen Leader Jaebom, who was now back with his AOM boys in Seattle.

            Junsu walked out of the room onto the balcony and leaned against the railing. They’re room was on the second floor, so they had a pretty good view of what was happening on the ground. He saw Anna and Haneul walking together, heading towards the parking lot. They passed a couple of the young male writers who were laughing about something. Haneul stopped in her tracks and spun roughly to face their group. Anna also halted her walk; he could see her face grow white. Next thing he knew, Haneul stormed over to the boys. She pulled her balled up fist back and then threw a decidedly heavy punch in the guy’s face.  He fell back onto the ground with a thud. It was then Junsu noticed that this was the writer who had rudely addressed Haneul, lapsing into informal speech. If that was not bad enough, he had muttered something that Junsu knew Taec had heard since he and Junsu were the closest to this writer. Haneul, though fluent in Korean, had some difficulty with slang, so he wasn’t surprised she didn’t pick up on his words.

            He could only imagine what she had overheard to make her react that way. Junsu saw the other writers scramble to help their friend up. Haneul was breathing heavily and as soon as he was on his feet she delivered a swift knee to his groin and he fell again. Junsu barely heard the tirade that escaped from his mouth, half of what he said was highly disrespectful.

            Calmly, Junsu said over his shoulder. “Haneul is beating someone up.” Every boy in the room rushed to the balcony to see Haneul standing over the guy while his friends were yelling at her.

            Haneul silenced each of them with a slap and then turned to storm away. She headed in the opposite direction back into the hotel. Anna, for good measure, threw them a dirty look and hurried after Haneul.

            “I can’t believe they said that,” Haneul mumbled, rubbing her knuckle. Anna was not sure what to say. They boys had been talking loudly about what a mistake Taecyeon had made. He had his choice of girls and picked Haneul. Granted, they were ruder with their words, but Anna didn’t want to repeat them even in her thoughts. This must have been what Taec was talking about in the conference room. “If anyone asks I’ll be in the sauna,” spoke up Haneul. She walked off quickly before Anna could answer that she heard. Anna watched Haneul walk away, tilting her head to the side. This girl really was not as annoying as Anna had initially thought. Not as if she’d ever say it.