Showcase

Our Inside Joke

 

“I first had a crush on Luhan,” Suho admits, pausing to glance at Luhan, even though he is clearly too far away to be seen, “he was really cute.”

 

The audience of 8000 applaud and chant, “Suhan, Suhan!” in unison. Sehun glares at the unknowing audience and rolls his eyes. EXO’s manager had probably instructed Suho through his earpiece to say that. Like Luhan had said, it meant nothing. It was just fan service.

 

“Sarang hamnida.” Luhan replies with a cheeky smile, just too convincingly.

 

I love you.

 

Sehun, who had been carefully keeping his eye on Luhan the entire night, now averts his eyes from the boy and bows his head in disappointment. His heart beats too fast in his chest, as his eyes (that he had fought to keep dry the entire day) threaten to tear up.

 

Sehun’s heart grows heavy, because he knows that no one had instructed Luhan to respond that way. He remembers back to this morning, when Luhan had thanked Suho with a soft, “Sarang hamnida.” after Suho had voluntarily brought him out for milk tea. Sehun just hadn’t been in the mood for it that morning, and now he was regretting his decision to stay home.  

 

He said I love you... to Suho.

 

Luhan glances very quickly in Sehun’s direction, his neck straining to see his dongsaeng’s face. He mouths a quick apology to Sehun, covering his lips with a sweaty hand, so that the audience would not be able to see. But his actions go unnoticed to Sehun.

 

Everything after that is a blur to Sehun. He ignores the audience’s chants, he ignores EXO’s responses, and he only realises a question has been asked for him when a raspy and angry voice shouts into his earpiece, “Sehun! Answer them.”

 

He answers the question so quietly the offstage crew have to turn his microphone up, and even then he mumbles every word, his lisp greatly exaggerated with his nervousness. The audience coos and screams at the sound of Sehun’s voice, drowning out his speech with compliments.

 

No, he thinks angrily to the audience, even though his face is expressionless, I have not forgiven any of you for shipping Luhan and Suho together.

 

Through the rest of the interview, Sehun becomes very easily agitated. The whirring of cameras at his feet makes him want to stomp on them, like he feels his heart has been stomped on (by Luhan’s large size 10 feet.) He decides it best to avoid eye contact with the camera completely. He doesn’t want his face captured on film. Not now, not when he was so angry with Luhan.

 

For most of the interview, Sehun just stares upward, away from Luhan, away from the audience, and away from those cameras.

 

Sehun--,” a frustrated voice suddenly grunts into his ear, “stop looking at the damn ceiling. The camera crew need a good picture from you!Smile, dammit!”

 

Sehun instead leaves his eyes glued to the ceiling, hoping it will contain the tears he knows will fall soon.

 

Chanyeol, who is sitting next to Sehun, glances at him seconds later with wide eyes and jabs towards the cameras, mouthing rather hysterically:

 

“The crew told me to tell you that you have to—“

 

“I know,” Sehun interrupts, “I heard them.”

 

Although Sehun is still in a bad mood, he can’t help but notice just how messed up the stylists had made Chanyeol’s hair. Every sandy strand of his hair had been crimped. He watches as Chanyeol is angrily told through his own earpiece to smile for a photo as well. Chanyeol, panicking and not wanting to anger staff, smiles too big and too strong for proper photo. (http://i1065.photobucket.com/albums/u389/twomoonstwoskies/tumblr_m2off93pPM1rtmo75o1_500.jpg)

 

Sehun gives up and tugs at the corner of his cheeks for just a second. For that second, he makes a face that says, “Luhan, when you see this, please know that the face I am making is one of annoyance and anger at your confession to Suho.”

 

After much sitting and impatient waiting, the interview eventually comes to an end, and EXO is called to be sent backstage. As Sehun walks off stage, avoiding eye contact with the audience, he feels a light tug on his undershirt.

 

“Sehun-ah, I’m sorry about that,” Luhan whimpers, getting close to Sehun’s ear, “it was just fan service. I didn’t really mean what I said.”

 

Sehun glares at Luhan, spitting, “Go elope with Suho.”

 

He marches lifelessly to EXO K’s changing room, fuming.

 

“Hunnie!” Luhan calls from behind him, “Please, I’m sorry!”

 

Just before entering his room, Sehun turns on his heel, and he stares at Luhan waiting for him in the distance, his face broken and guilty. Sehun’s heart pulls in his chest for the nth time that day, and his face twitches into a small smile.

 

Ah, Hannie, he thinks to Luhan before walking in, you know I’ll forgive you eventually~