WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!

My Seoulmates

Minyoung’s POV:

OMG OMG OMG IT IS HAPPENING.

 

MADDIE’S VOICE….SOOOOO…

 

AND AND AND HEAD VOCALS…

 

AND THE NEXT THING YOU KNOW

 

IS THAT I’M GOING TO BE

 

KOREA’S SUPERSTAR’S COUSIN

 

IT IS HAPPENING SO FAST

 

ASDFGHJKLZXCVBNMQWERTYUIOP

 

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!

 

“Yah Minyoung! You’re creeping me out! Please stop hyperventilating. It’s the last period already and you still haven’t moved on from Music class.” Hyemi told me.

 

“Can’t you see that I’m the cousin of the Korea’s future superstar??? Can’t you really see it?!”

 

“Umm…No.” w0w. STRAIGHT TO THE POINT -,-

 

“Aish!” But I’m proud to be her cousin ^__^

 

“I’m just saying~ Now I’m going to get back to my books. Please don’t disturb”

 

What a supportive friend.

 

I looked behind Hyemi’s back and found mah dear cousin staring into space.

 

“Maddie? Maddie? MAADDDIEE!!!”

 

“Whaaa???”

 

“You’re bored. I’m bored. Everybody’s bored. And where the heck is our teacher?!!!!”

 

I’m getting sick of these late teachers. Look what they’ve done to us. WE ARE GOING TO BE ZOMBIES.

 

“Class –“

 

FINALLY

 

“mates.”

 

“WHAAT?” I said on top of my voice.

 

I looked at the front and saw Mr. Top 1 aka Mr. President standing with his eyebrows raised.

“Problem, Ms. Lee?”

 

“Don’t Ms. Lee me. You’re not our teacher anyway. Go back to your seat, Jonghyun!”

 

“Tsk tsk tsk” he shook his head “Is that a way to address your president, Minyoung?” Attention seeker :P

 

“Oh right. I’m sorry. Let me say that again but now in a ‘proper’ way to address you” I cleared my throat “GO BACK TO YOUR SEAT, PABO!”

 

“STOP!” Oh great. Mr. Top 2 aka Mr. VP stepped in.

 

“We should let the president talk, maybe it’s important”

 

Important my bub.

 

“Thank you Kyuhyun. Ok. Since the vacant spot is still currently a vacant spot, we will make it our homeroom class”

 

A series of filled the room.

“Homeroom is on Monday only!”

“Homeroom is boring”

“You’re not our teacher!” Yup, that’s me.

 

“Unfortunately, we have something to do” Jjong said. “As you know, Madisson Lee over there doesn’t know a thing or two about Korea. Mrs. Woo told me to hold the assignment of tasks. But before anything else, we should let Madisson introduce herself again for those who weren’t here this morning.”

 

He looked at Maddie and nod his head for her cue to speak.

 

 

Maddie’s POV:

I took a deep breath and opened my mouth to spe-

 

“In English please” Jonghyun added and the class was again full of snickers.

 

I nodded, hiding my embarrassment at the back of my brain. “My name is Madisson Lee. But you can call me Maddie”

 

“Add some more details” Minyoung whispered.

 

“I am a transfer student from the US and my family moved here to Seoul because of my father’s new job” I glanced back at her and she gave me a satisfied wink.

 

“But you look like a Korean, do you have any Korean blood?”

 

“My parents are both half Korean though both of them lived in America their whole lives”

 

Minyoung added, “My appa is the hyung of Maddie’s father!”

 

“I’m not asking you, Minyoung” Jonghyun sneered. Minyoung rolled her eyes at him.

 

“Since you’re done introducing yourself, Maddie, may I call the class officers to stand in front” Four other students including Key stood up and form a straight line next to him.

 

“Maddie, I’m Kim Jonghyun. I’m the class president.”

 

“And a world class pabo” Minyoung silently added.

 

“I’m the vice president, Cho Kyuhyun”

 

The girl who is always with Minyoung introduced herself, “I’m Hyemi. Park Hyemi, the secretary”

 

“I’m the treasurer, Choi Minho”

 

“Well you know me already” Key said. Jonghyun shot him a glare. “Ok. Ok. My name – my REAL name – is Kim Kibum. But you can call me Key. I’m the pro, I mean P. R. O.”

 

Jonghyun said, “In behalf of the class officers we expect you to be cooperative unlike the others” He snuck a look at Minyoung who glared back.

“So we’re going to let the class introduce themselves starting with you Taemin”

 

A boy with a brown messy hair stood up “Hi Maddie! I’m Lee Taemin”

 

Then the rest followed, introducing themselves. Then it came to Minyoung, “Do I need to introduce myself? She already knows me, she’s my cousin” she asked Jonghyun.

 

“You have to” A single phrase that suggest authority

 

She rolled her eyes again. “I’m Lee Minyoung, your cousin”

 

“And the last person, Onew”

 

My seatmate stood. “Hi. I’m Lee –“

 

“AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!”

 

We looked at the back and found Seo Yeonju swatting her hands in the air.

 

“What’s happening there?!” Jonghyun asked.

 

“THERE’S A BUUUUUGGG!!!” Yeonju screamed

 

“What’s wrong with the bug? You’re so big and the bug is so small that you can crush it with your t –“

 

Then the bug – a cockroach – flew towards Jonghyun and he screamed in terror then he ran in circles.

 

The class erupted in laughter. And I’m GUILTY as well. Even Kyuhyun laughed. The HARDEST SMARTEST STRONGEST person in the class is running around the classroom while being chased with a bug. Minyoung stood and walked near to Jonghyun then crushed the cockroach with her foot.

 

Jonghyun stopped running and panted. “Are you going to thank me or anything?” Minyoung asked with a huge smile on her face.

 

“Gu-gu-mawo” he said.

 

“No prob, pabo” And she claimed her victory. “So Onew, are you going to introduce yourself or what?” Minyoung, now a reigning president fresh from victory, asked my seatmate.

 

“Right. Onew.” He held his hand out for me. I stood up and shook his hands. “I’m going to be your seatmate for the whole school year. So don’t hesitate to ask me” he said with a smile.

 

“Sure. Thanks” Then we sat.

 

“We’re done introducing ourselves” Jonghyun said after recovering from his embarrassment “We should now start assigning the heads for the tutoring topics. We will have Geography for Monday. I’m going to be the head of History lessons on Tuesdays. Restdays on Wednesdays. Language and Hangul for Thursdays. And finally Culture on Fridays. So who wants to be the head for Geography?”

 

Many hands shot up but Jonghyun chose Kyuhyun. Biased president.

 

"How about Language and Hangul during Thursdays?"

 

No one raised their hands. Personally, I think teaching their language is easy but for them, teaching their language could be boring. They're going to repeat everything like they're teaching a kid. So if I'm going to teach English, I'm going to turn down the offer.

 

"Anyone?"

 

Still none.

 

I guess I'm going to teach Korean and hangul by myself. Poor Madisson Lee, always confusing Kamsahamnida for Annyeong Hasseo. I mustered a sigh and bent my head so low that my forehead almost touched the desk.

 

Sigh.

 

"I'll do it"

 

My head shot up and looked around to see who said it.

 

But, I think I'm overreacting my search because my Language and Hangul teacher

 

…is my seatmate.

 

 

Onew's POV:

Looks like I'm going to be stuck with Madisson Lee for an entire year.

 

TWICE.

 

Nobody likes teaching Korean to a foreigner because

1.)It's boring

2.)You'll just repeat everything you learned since you were born and it makes it uninteresting

 

....Which connects both of the reasons.

 

"Onew as head of Language and Hangul on thursdays" Jonghyun announced. "How about for Culture?"

 

Again many hands shot up.

 

What is wrong with the world?!

 

Jonghyun squinted his eyes as if to see the right head for the subject. "Since Culture covers a lot of topics, I'll pick two" He paused for a moment and grinned.

 

Something tells me that he's going to pick-

 

"Hyemi and Minho"

 

I KNEW IT

 

Both of their faces fell when Jonghyun picked them while Minyoung, Taemin and Key wore their I'm proud of you Jonghyun faces.

 

"Congratulations Hyemi! You're going to have fun!" Minyoung told her. She didn't answer but dropped her head instead.

 

"For the members, who wants to join Geography?" All of the class raised their hands. "Ok. All of you guys are going to be headed by Kyuhyun. Talk to him for your assignments and schedule. How about History?"

 

Fewer hands were raised. Jonghyun nodded. "I'll talk to the History group later. Language and Hangul?"

 

Only Minyoung and Hyemi raised their hands.

 

POOR US.

 

Wait. No.

 

POOR ME.

 

Minyoung will probably enjoy teaching her cousin with her bestfriend but me...

The reason I volunteered to teach Maddie because

1.)I have nothing else to do

2.)And because of pity

 

"Anyone? I'm going to be part of the Language group, just so you know"

 

And Key, Minho, and Taemin raised their hands too.

 

Sigh.

 

Stuck with them forever.

 

"Lastly, Culture" I raised my hand. Culture, my specialty.

 

"Ok. We're finally done now. Tutoring classes will start next week. Please follow the schedule and assignments given to you. We all aim to teach Maddie all the things we know about our country for this school year. Hopefully, when we graduate Maddie can pass for a full pledged Kore-"

 

KRRRIIINNGGG!

 

Dismissal time!

 

Each one of us stood up and got our bags and started heading to the door. 

 

Hooray for freedom!

 

But unfortunately,

..

..

..

Hello Madisson Lee.

 

 

Maddie's POV:

/in the car

"Hello sissy!"

 

"Hello jerk"

 

Michael rolled his eyes at me. "So what happened today?" I asked him.

 

"I met a new friend. His name is-"

 

"Dave, I know"

 

"Oh right, you know him already. Then I'm going to have tutoring lessons starting next week"

 

"Who's going to teach you?"

 

"My adviser, of course"

 

"Poor you"

 

"Poor me? Do you have tutoring lessons on the first place?"

 

"I do have but I'm going to be taught by my classmates and not to mention by our cousin"

 

"We have a Korean cousin?"

 

"Yes, we have. I'm surprised too don't get me wrong."

 

"Anything else besides the classmates for teachers thing?"

 

"Oh, nothing much. I just became the lead vocal of our school's band" I grinned hard at that thought.

 

"YOU WHAT?!"

 

/at home

"DAAAAAAAD! Maddie became the school's vocalist in just one day!!!"

 

"That's very nice, sweetie" My mom told me.

 

"Don't you find it unfair?"

 

"Not at all. I'm proud of you, Maddie"

 

I suppress a high grin to annoy my brother more.

 

“So how did you manage to get it?” My dad asked me.

 

“Well” In my girlish tone. “I just sang and played the piano that’s all” Then I smirked at my poor brother.

 

“Okay, I’m out!” And he went upstairs.

 

--MONDAY--

WHAT IS GOING ON?!

 

Everybody rushed into the auditorium like people in the marathon.

 

“Minyoung! What’s happening?”

 

“There’s some kind of announcement or something that is why we have to go in”

 

As you say so.

 

“Good morning children.” The principal greeted. “We are gathered here today for a special event.”  She paused. “Have you ever heard of Banana Milk?”

 

And the whole student body went wild.

 

“BANANA MILK! BANANA MILK! BANANA MILK!” they cheered.

 

“The school has heard your petitions. We bring you the CEO of the company that brought you the Banana Milk, Mr. James Lee”

 

WHAT?!

 

“Good morning banana milk folks from Seoul High!” My dad greeted.

 

Are you kidding me? Our father is the CEO of a Banana Milk company?

 

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!

 

“My name is James Lee. I’m the father of Madisson and Michael Lee.”

 

The whole student body turned to us.

 

“Hi kids!”

 

EMBARASSING.

 

“Moving on. We are pleased to announce that your school now has a Banana Milk dispenser!”

 

Everyone cheered loudly.

 

“And today….ALL OF YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE A FREE BANANA MILK!”

 

And the crowd went wild as ever.

 

But I’m not a part of that. And so was Michael.

 

We are so weirded out about the fact that our dad is the CEO of this Banana Milk company.

 

And that explains the house, the car, our things, everything…

 

Moving on.

 

Students (and even teachers) rushed outside the auditorium just to get this Banana Milk. And I grabbed one too just so you know but I hurried away and hid in the classroom.

 

--Tuesday—

“Hey Maddie!”

 

I turned around and saw my seatmate, Onew.

 

“Tutorial is going to be at the canteen today. See you there!”

 

“Ok –“

 

But he was gone.

 

Well that was fast.

 

*time skip: DISMISSAL*

 

Tutorial yesterday was…good?

 

Maybe.

 

So-so.

 

I didn’t speak too much. Jonghyun only taught me the location of Korea in Asia. Its seasons blah blah blah. Korea for Dummies info stuff I secretly know about.

 

Now tutorial during the present.

 

I looked at the schedule – I thought my seatmate was going to teach me today.

 

Lee Jinki.

 

Who is that?

 

I haven’t heard that name in class during the introduction.

 

Oh well, might as well head to the canteen.

 

Skip skip skip~~~

 

Okay I’m in front of the canteen and there’s no signs of any fanboy.

 

I pushed the door open and I saw Onew scribbling notes.

 

“Oh hi there seatmate! I thought you’re not going to teach me today”

 

He looked up to me with a wondering expression “Who told you that?”

 

“Actually no one. But I did saw the schedule. And Lee Jinki should be teaching me today. Do you know where is she?”

 

“She?”

 

“Yes”

 

He stood up. “Wait. You’re getting something wrong.”

 

“What?”

 

“I’m Lee Jinki”

 

WHAAAATTT??!!!

 

“What?! But Lee Jinki is a girl right?”

 

Right?

 

WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WORLD?!

 

“My real name is Lee Jinki” Onew said. “I just didn’t get to finish it because of that bug”

 

“So you mean…you have a girl’s name?” I asked innocently.

 

“NO! It’s not a girl’s name. It just sounded like a girl’s name but it’s not. There’s a name Jinky right? But it is the letter Y not I. Korean names and English names are different understand?”

 

“Okay….”

 

We didn’t speak for a moment.

 

Well that didn’t turn out great with my seatmate. I should apologize to him.

 

“Uhm..Onew?”

 

“Yeah?” He’s now sitting down scribbling his notes.

 

“How do you say sorry in Korean?”

 

“Mianhae”

 

“Thanks…uhhmm..mianhae. I really thought it was a –“ But I stopped myself. Almost screwed it up. “I should’ve known you better. I’m sorry.” I held out my hand again.

 

He took it and shook it. “It’s fine.”

 

“Do you mind introducing yourself again?”

 

“Again?”

 

“Yeah for…uhm…seatmate purposes”

 

“Fine…My name is Lee Jinki. But you can call me Onew….

 

 And I love fried chicken”

 

Then he cracked a huge smile.

 

--------------------------------

Chapter 7 Teaser:

The guy with the blonde hair was bombarded with questions about his childhood.

"Hyung when will we meet her?"

"Does she still remember you?"

"How about the thing you gave her?"

"Is she cute?"

Now the guy looks pissed but afraid.

"Guys I don't know! Maybe I'll see her soon....and I hope she'll still remember me"

"What if she won't" his friends asked him.

"Then, I still won't stop loving her"