Yeppeo

My Seoulmates

Maddie's POV: 

 

*End of the double Math class period*

 

“Ah…Ms. Lee!” Mr. Kang said. “Not you Min Young! I said miss not mister, Taemin! Not you too, Onew! And what are you doing here?! I believe your last name is Park!”

 

“Umm…I was about to ask you a question, Mr. Kang.” The girl with the last name “Park” answered.

 

“Very well, then. What is your question?

 

“I – “

 

“Oh my gosh, Hyemi! See! I told you it will be like that. The apple works!” said the girl who was supposed to be Min Young. (A/N See my partner’s story: The Apple’s Destiny)

 

“Min Young, if you’re going to chat with  Hyemi, go outside!” Mr. Kang yelled at them.

 

“But I’m going to wait for my cousin, Mr. Kang.” Min Young explained.

 

“Cousin? I see… so just wait here. I’ll talk to Ms. Lee…I mean Madisson first.” He told her. “Madisson, come with me.”

 

We walked at the corner of the classroom, possibly to a place where he can’t be eavesdropped.

 

“Madisson. Madisson. You’re really good in Math, I see. You can be the Top 1 of this class if you keep excelling in all the subjects. But you need to know first our way. I’ll talk to Mrs. Woo about the tutoring sessions. I’ll keep you informed. Now you may go. Shoo!” Mr. Kang said. What a nice teacher! NOT!

 

I went straight to the door without looking back at him…or her. But then he shouted, “Madisson!” I looked back at him thinking he might give me some advice about this school. But all he said was, “It’s the first time I’ll say this to a student. And I’m really jealous because…” he paused for a moment. Then said, “You’re really pretty. Now, get out before I put you on detention!”

 

“Uhh…Thanks??? Ok, bye!” I thanked him weirdly (or was it annoyingly) then I scamper off the room. My escape from Mr. Weirdo!

 

“Aaah!!! Maddie, wait!” a girl shouted behind me. I stopped and turned around. And there she was, Min Young, my cousin (really?).

 

“Why are you rushing?” she asked me in English when she finally reached me.

 

“I’m…uhh…rushing…uhh…because…uhh…I might be late for the next class.” Nice thinking brain!

 

“The next subject will not start in an hour! Ahh…I see. You’re aiming to beat Jonghyun.” She said with a sly smile.

 

“What! No! I mean…I don’t even know who’s Jonghyun!” I told her in my most annoyed voice.

 

“Don’t know him? Well, he’s the top 1 of Class A. Mr. Kang should let us introduce ourselves to you. So…Hi! I’m Lee Min Young. Same age like you and I’m your cousin!” she said as she shook my hand. Too much flattery!

 

“And I’m…umm…Ma – “

 

“Madisson Lee. Maddie Lee. Whatever! I know who you are because you’re my cousin. My dad always talks about you. How you’re brave enough to run for the Junior Student Council and the Tennis Competition. And oh! The competition you entered when you’re 13! The singing competition! And you won first place! You must join the band here and the tennis varsity too!” Wow. She’s talkative in a good way, I think.

 

I managed to say “Uhh…” before she cut me off again.

 

“Ah! Mrs. Woo talked to me and asked me to direct you to your locker. She said it’s near the covered court. The court is in the opposite side of this hallway. And we should go down a little. Follow me!”

 

My locker is way too far from our classroom. Min Young tries to convince me that my locker is still near compared to a boy in Class C which was located at the top floor. Maybe this is the only available locker in the whole school that was near to our classroom.

 

“Here we are! Locker #143. Aha! I love you! Get it?”

 

Sure. Sure. I get it. Whatever.

 

“So what’s the code?” I asked.

 

“No code, pabo! You need a key and here it is!” she said while handing me the key.

 

I unlocked my locker and found lots of new books inside. These must be mine. I got my schedule from the envelope and scanned it. Next period will be Music then Science. Lunch. History, English, and a vacant slot. Dismissal.

 

“What’s the vacant slot for?” I asked Min Young.

 

“Ah…it’s a time where teachers fight each other to death. Just kidding! It’s the time when a teacher can add another period of her subject of his or hers. Mostly the last subject teacher gets the slot. Which means…we will have double English later.”

 

“Ok. So which book will I get…” I reached out my hand to get a book but Min Young slapped it.

 

“Ouch! What was that for?!”

 

“Do you check your bag? The books for today is already in your bag, pabo!” she said in a slightly annoyed voice.

 

“What’s a pabo?” I asked. Stupid question, I know.

 

Pabo? It’s nothing~” I smell something fishy going on.

 

I closed my locker and locked it again. Lock. Lock. Lock.

“So where’s my key?” I asked.

 

“It’s there in the key hole! And speaking of key…Hurry up or you’ll miss him!”

 

“Miss who?” I asked as I put my key in my wallet. “You forgot your key too?!”

 

“Nooo! It’s a person not key, key. You know what I mean.” I SERIOUSLY don’t know what you mean.

 

“I – “ but she cut me off again and dragged me to the covered court filled with screaming girls.

 

“WHAAA – !” but someone cut me off again. You didn’t have to cut me off~

 

“Min Young! Min Young!” the voice said.

 

The Min Young said, “Ah! There he is! Let’s go!”

 

“Who is – “ I’m so tired of getting cut off -_-

 

“Key! Key! I’m coming!” she shouted.

 

We combed in and out of the screaming girls – fans maybe. Some held signs written in hanggul while others in English but they all scream, “Key, oppa!” Then they broke into a chant. Maybe Key is the MVP? MVPs gain lots of admirers. Then a boy who was sitting on the highest bleacher waved at us and shouted, “Min Young!”

 

We started climbing the bleachers in full speed to reach him. The other girls didn’t even notice us.

 

They’re like worshipping a god who’s afraid of them, my silly mind thought.

 

“Key! You got the message from Jjong right?” she asked him when we reached him.

 

“Yeah! About the TCTMNBN. Jjong was freaked out when he saw the two of you but bringing Minho close to Hyemi…Excellent Idea!” Key told Min Young happily while he threw a ball to the nearest fan. The fans cheered.

 

“So you’re Key?” I asked.

 

Key was very surprised when I spoke. As if I’m a ghost; as if he didn’t see me with Min Young. “So you’re the Lee girl?” he imitated my way of speaking.

 

“How did you know?” I curiously asked him.

 

“Well, I have my sources. Anyway” he turned to Min Young “Sure, I’ll join. When’s the first meeting?”

 

“About the meeting…we haven’t made some arrangements yet. Taemin and I will talk about it. But make sure don’t expose this plan to anyone especially Minho and Hyemi.”

 

A secret plan? Me likey~

 

“Am I included in this?” I asked Min Young childishly.

 

“Yes, if you want. And another yes since you heard our conversation.” She replied

 

“So what about this TCTMNBN?”

 

“Yeah what about it?” Key seconded.

 

“As I you already know, we need to bring Hyemi closer to Minho before the school year ends. I admit, we have tons of time but we need to act fast. I’ll tell Taemin and Jjong about you two. Don’t tell anyone about this club, okay?” We nodded.

 

“Key, we should go now class will start in less than 10 minutes and the music room is very far from here. Ms. Song will be upset at us again.” Min Young said.

 

A music teacher named Ms. Song? What a coincidence!

 

“Ok. You go now and I’ll catch up. But I’ll ask Madisson – “

 

“Maddie” This time, I cut him off.

 

“Maddie a question.” He looked at me and said, “Are you going to audition to be a cheerleader?”

 

WHAT?!! ME?! A CHEERLEADER?!!!

 

“NO! Why do you think I’m going to audition as a cheerleader?”

 

“Because…” he stopped. Maybe he’s thinking words for his defense.

“Because…How shall I put this? Aha!” He cleared his throat and then he sang, “Noona neomu yeppeo.Michyeo. Replay replay replay.”

 

A question mark appeared above my head. I’m so clueless of what’s happening.

 

Min Young started to giggle. Key’s fans started to fade away.

 

“You should go away now. I’ll catch up later. Nice knowing you, Maddie.” He said while hiding his face in his towel.

 

We started climbing down the bleachers then headed to the main hall. We passed by some students who were still staring at me. Some students started mumbling words while others whispered things to each other.

 

Guys started to ruffle their hair and spraying perfume. Some even winked at us. Min Young giggled again but this time much longer.

 

I asked her, “You’re very popular here huh?”

 

“No, I am not. It’s you see” Pointing at a waving guy. I waved back and he literally sank to the floor. Other guys started following his lead. I, of course, waved back and they too look pretty startled.

 

“But why me? Not – ?“ and I was again cut off by a boy about Michael’s age.

 

“Umm…hi!” he said. “This banana milk is for you. It’s very delicious, you should try it.” He gave it to me and I accepted it.

 

“Thanks!” I said.

 

“I…uhh..ahh…umm…wel – “

 

“Dave! Where did you go? I was lost for a moment, you know!” Michael’s voice echoed through the hall.

 

“I..uhh…” Dave stammered.

 

The my brother started talking non-stop around the hall, “Hi sis! I see you met Dave. You know, I should kill the guy who posted the translations in wikianswers. I was like ‘Kamsahamnida!’ and they were like ‘Hahaha!’. That was totally embarrassing! And Maddie, you became popular. All the boys in my class started talking about you. It’s true. I couldn’t believe my ears either. Well anyway see you later. Let’s go Dave! Dave?”

 

The Dave guy seemed like he’s petrified (frozen)

 

“Oh! Come on! She’s my sister! I don’t understand why boys like you” he pointed to a guy who sank to the floor “you” he pointed to the guy who dropped his books “and you” pointed at a guy who was taking pictures of me using his cellphone. “go crazy over my sister! I might be his little brother but you don’t know who you’re dealing with! Now shoo!”

 

The guys started scrambling off their feet, rushing to get their books in their locker, and taking last glimpse of me.

 

“Wow! That was – “ and again, I was cut off -_-

 

“Brave. I know!” I was going to tell him it’s WEIRD but brave is a good option too. “Let’s go, Dave! See you later, sis!”

 

“What a cute and over protective brother you have, Maddie” Min Young said as we went up the stairs towards the top floor.

 

“Cute! Yeah, right! Well, any chance you heard the guys’ mumbling?” I asked her.

 

“Yeah” she giggled again.

 

“Why are you always giggling?”

 

“You really don’t notice, do you? The guys mumbled ‘yeppeo’ which means pretty. They like you and they said that you’re pretty.” She told me while holding off a giggle.

 

“Oh” Then I blushed a little. “So why did Key sing?”

 

“About that” then she let out her ultimate giggle. “He sang Noona neomu yeppeo. It’s a song title which means…Noona, you’re so pretty!” Let the giggling festival begin!

 

Oh wow! This is a PRETTY disturbing day! Get it? Everything they did was about me! I hate it! I don’t want to be the center of the universe. I took a sip of the banana milk then I remembered who gave this to me. I hate it! But I love the taste~

 

“Maddie, hurry up we’re almost there!” Min Young said.

 

I emptied the banana milk fast and entered to Ms. Song’s music room.