Eight - Unknown

Extraterrestrial

 

Say cheese for our alien couple photographers! (◕‿◕✿)

 

 

 

----

 

This was definitely not his day. Due to his hangover, he had to run to the office—considering he’s half an hour late. When he arrived at his desk, piles of paperwork greeted him. He sighed in relief when he knew YG was not yet around. Sitting on his black swivelling chair, he took a deep breath before diving into the pile of work readily waiting for him.

 

A few hours or so, he decided to take a coffee break. He walked over to the grey coffee vending machine, greeting his fellow officemate with a nod. “Rough day, Choi?” His officemate Jinwoo remarked as he watched him drop the coin into the machine.

“Definitely, not my day,” he sighed as he watched the cup being automatically filled with warm roan coffee.

“YG’s been on your back for sometime huh?” Jinwoo spoke as he took a sip from his coffee, “He really has his eyes on you.” Seunghyun could only grin in reply.

 

I didn’t know exactly the reason why my boss keeps paying attention to me. I mean, come on. I’m definitely not the only one who slacks around sometimes right? I roll my eyes as I remembered Taecyun dozing off while sending a business email. Why can’t he give them the same treatment like me? With all those paperworks dumped on my desk, I doubt if anyone else has something left to do.

 

Seunghyun went back to his desk, taking with him the newspaper Jinwoo had given him. It’s been a while he’s read the current events; and though he wasn’t a keen reader of the outside world, he makes sure he was more or less, up to date with the events.

Flipping to the third page, he saw a small article on the lower right portion of the paper.

“Aircraft crashes in Ulsan; 12 seriously injured, 1 killed”

His eyes scanned through the black and white texts, getting a gist of the story.

 

The pilot claims an unknown aircraft appeared in his radar, colliding with the plane’s wing, immediately setting the vehicle and it’s passengers into an unlikely incident. Further investigation was being conducted as of the moment.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

Marquess

- nobleman (in various countries) ranking above a count; a British peer ranking below a duke and above an earl; Synonyms: aristocrat, baron, baroness, count, countess, crown prince, duchess, duke, earl, king, knight, prince, princess, queen, viscount, viscountess

 

Seunghyun closed the pocket dictionary with a light thud, his brows furrowing in confusion. Nobleman? If she was a royalty of some sort, why the heck was she ordered to travel to a planet like ours? Royalties are not allowed to step out of their castles..or whatever kingdom they’re in, right?

 

 

Once stepping a foot on his porch, the door swayed open; the red-haired female coming out, carrying two bags of trash with each hand. “Omona! Tabi-ah!” she exclaimed, “You’re here!”

Seunghyun felt his heart flutter upon seeing her greet him; it does feel warmer in the house ever since she came. He saw her forehead covered in beads of sweat, thinking of how busy she must have been in cleaning the house. The pink apron that was covered with spots of grease has become a part of her daily clothes; and his loose shirt that makes her look like she had just made love with her partner…

Hold on…

 

“Yah!!” Seunghyun exclaimed as he grazed his eyes on Bom’s pant-less outfit, “You’re going out wearing that?!? Aish!”

“I was just going to throw these out,” she replied with a smug look on her face, “…It’s just over there—don’t tell me I have to wear pants and shoes just for that?!”

He annoyingly ran his fingers through his hair and took the trash bags from Bom’s hands, “Geesh. You really are an alien!” Sometimes he couldn’t figure out if she was purposely annoying him, or it was innate for aliens like her to become so witless.

 

 

The dinner was filled faint clinking sounds of the chopsticks and plates. Seunghyun glanced at the alien sitting across the table, quietly munching on the kimchi.

“Seunghyun-ah,” Bom suddenly raised her head, with a curious look plastered on her face, “How do you know if you like someone?”

Seunghyun cocked his head to one side, unsure if he had heard her correctly. “Why are you asking? Do you like someone?” In the back of his mind, he thought maybe she is falling for Jiyoung.

She shook her head, suddenly shifting her eyes back to the food, “Nevermind.”

 

Seunghyun smiled upon seeing her being very hesitant. Most people would pester him with questions until they’re satisfied with the answer. Her cheeks blushed to a faint pink color, making Seunghyun chuckle at her innocence.

 

He placed his chopsticks beside his bowl, and collected his thoughts before speaking. “To like someone is to become fond of him or her…it’s pretty much similar to adoration and admiration.”

Bom raised her head slowly, her eyes narrowing all of a sudden, “That’s it? Then why was Minzy asking me if I like you?”

 

For a second, Seunghyun thought his heart skipped a beat upon hearing her statement, “She asked what?”

 

“I like TOP, I like roses, I like food… I’m not sure if I like you,” Bom replied with a faint grin, somewhat looking at ease now that her definition of like was no different to the humans. At some part of his heart, Seunghyun felt a piece of it has fallen apart.

“Another question,” Bom mumbled through a mouthful of kimchi, “Why do humans date?”

Seunghyun shrugged off the sad feeling that was about to creep up to his heart, “Humans date because they want to know more about each other…To make things short, they like each other.”

Bom’s eyebrows raised in surprise, “So you have to like each other before you date?”

“Not necessarily. But it’s definitely a bonus if both parties like each other.”

“So that means Jiyoung likes me?”

 

“I’m not sure...”

 

He wasn’t sure if his premise was utterly correct, or he just wants to conceal something from her. For some reason, he couldn’t fully contemplate the idea of Bom liking Jiyoung. An unrequited love, he reminded himself.

 

“Say,” Bom spoke after wiping with the table napkin, “…May I ask why were you and Minggki-ah in the restaurant? I don’t remember Jiyoung invited you.”

 

“Uhm,” Think Seunghyun, think. Should I lie and tell her I wanted to have dinner with Minggki outside for a change? How about I just got my paycheck for the month that’s why I wanted to treat my sister? Or, how about, I stalked you because you might become hysterical and reveal your identity there? The latter reason sounds nice—yet offensive.

“I-I…” he paused for a moment and spoke nonchalantly, “…was worried.”

Her dark brown orbs rounded with curiosity, “What for?”

 

Oh just about the little things—like, maybe Jiyoung might say something wrong about you and then you’d start flipping the tables everywhere and bring out that special weapon of yours…

 

“Just some reasons.”

 

Bom leaned back on her chair, completely unsatisfied. Crossing her arms and legs, she began to pull a thoughtful look, “You’re not …‘jealous’, aren’t you?” She emphasized the word jealous with her fingers imitating the quotation marks; just like the one she watched from the movie.

 

“No! No! Now where the heck did you get that idea?!” Seunghyun’s eyes widened as he also leaned back on his chair with disbelief. “Me? Jealous? Hah! I’ll never fall for an alien like you.”

Seunghyun perhaps imagined it, but for a second, he saw Bom’s eyes turned soft; a hint of hurt flashed on her face. His heart pinched slightly in pain as he recalled his last statement. Maybe that was too much, he thought.

 

 

A light bell resonated from the living room, as the clock indicated the time ten o’clock. Bom stood up from her seat, taking with her the dirty dishes from the table to the kitchen sink. Seunghyun remained immobile, as he kept rethinking his previous words to her. Was that too harsh? His conscience kept grumbling. A moment later, she came back with a rag on hand, “You’re done right?” She didn’t even laid a single sight on him, suddenly placing that stern voice on guard. Seunghyun gently pushed the porcelain plate towards her; his eyes still watching her face.

 

“Are you mad?” He finally mouthed, somewhat nervous. If ever she was, he needed to apologize—perhaps his ego was growing too much lately, that he forgot how to choose words carefully. “I’m sorry if I offended you.”

 

Strange enough, he never had to bow his head and apologize for an irrational reason. He may have been screwing a lot of his classmates during his school days, and never once in his life did he regret making those wimps cry everytime. It wasn’t in his nature to apologize—until this alien came. He felt his dignity slowly ceases to exist every time he loses their little bickering. He didn’t like this feeling, but he didn’t hate it either.

His admission of guilt earned him a short ‘It’s fine’ from Bom. She disappeared once again to the kitchen, humming the tune that she once sang for Minzy.

 

 

Seunghyun obliterated the remaining scraps from the table and placed it on a small Styrofoam plate. Along with the spoiled leftovers, he carried this plate outside of the house to feed it to the stray cats. He took quiet steps and stopped at the front porch, imitating the sounds of a cat, hoping to call their attention.

 

“Hmmm. Funny,” Seunghyun scratched his head as he didn’t see a single cat running towards him. Usually they’d attack the plate he’s holding, right from the moment they smell food from the doorway. He walked a couple of steps down the porch, and placed the scraps on the lawn just above the living room window. He looked at the plate once more, scrutinizing the food that was in there; and yet again, he gazed at the low-lit empty street. “Strange. Completely strange.”

 

As he took a step forward back to the porch, he had an odd feeling that someone was observing him. But as he glanced back just to be sure, his head was struck by a metal board, sending his whole body straight to the ground.

A few moments before his consciousness completely shut off, his lips suddenly twitched up to a faint smile when he heard Bom spoke, “!!!”

 

 

 

---

 

That was definitely the first time was knocked down to the ground. I may have been into some fights in highschool, but never did I get beat down and became unconscious. That sudden pain that stung at the back of my head triggered a small dream.

I was back at school, wearing my old highschool uniform; a pale green polo shirt with a matching verdant pants that reached just above the heel of my black shoes. I was walking around the school grounds during a warm, sunny afternoon, hoping to find a quiet spot to eat my bibimpap and perhaps read a little bit.

I don’t know what was wrong with everyone—or perhaps with me; they barely make contact with me. It was as if I was the school bully that likes to take their snacks or candies. During class, I was most likely the student to be seated at the very back, frequently avoided and ignored. I did like the privacy that I was getting, but sometimes being too alone makes me feel sad and unwanted.

Walking past the climbing bars, I found a shady gingko tree and set that place as my destination. I was busy remembering the album title of my favorite artist that I didn’t hear someone was calling me.

“Yah! Choi Seunghyun!” Hyunseung, the real school bully, along with his weird-looking disciples came towards me—their faces etched with their usual smug, arrogant look. “What’s your problem?”

What’s my problem? I’m currently heading towards my newfound sanctuary, and you’re right infront of me, blocking my ing way!

I raised an eyebrow instead, unsure why he was asking me that question when I never did anything to him. He suddenly stared at me, his eyes narrowing, “If you don’t tell me what’s your problem, I’m gonna beat your sorry right here, right now.” Oh, I can only roll my eyes at his threat. Just because his mother is the vice principal of this school, he can play around like some prince? Ah, highschool days.

I stared back at him; and for a moment, he leaned back—probably because of fear. I was hungry, and definitely not in the mood to play. I lowered my head a little more, deliberately angering the tormentor. His disciples were starting to chicken out, and at the back of my mind I could only chuckle at their cowardness.

“How about you just give me your lunch and we’ll call this off?”

I smirked, “Never in million years, you .” I didn’t know profanity much in highschool, but by watching foreign movies often, I learned that was the trending word. And with that simple statement, round one immediately commenced.

The news about the brawl spread throughout the school as fast as the speed of light. I earned a small black eye and a swollen knuckle, while the bully got a black eye on the left, a bruise on his right cheek, and a broken tooth. Sometimes I curse my parents for giving me a name very similar to this big baby. Seunghyun and Hyunseung? Oh gross.

I was at the principal’s office, currently sitting at a chair before the head’s desk, and the wimp sat on his own chair, a few meters away from me. The principal, vice principal, along with our advisers were having a meeting right infront of us…Probably judging who scored the most points in our little boxing match.

The principal averted her eyes towards us, and so did the rest of them. I don’t know if it was there was problem in my hearing or something else, but their statements were completely off-topic.

“Do you not understand your responsibilities? We’ve had this discussion before and I assume you understood it well.”

Hyunseung scowled from my right; his voice no longer masculine, “I have decided to withdraw from this union. I believe I shouldn’t be the one who should accept the consequences of his actions.”

My female adviser spoke in scruffy voice, making me gape at her not so feminine tune, “Is this life form aware?”

A second of silence passed and my vision was beginning to fade. I grazed at the principal as she spoke once again, “With all due respect, your majesty, the king has given us orders to take you back home—if ever you decline to our humble request, we were granted to use force on you… And by all means, even if it requires destroying this quaint hideout of yours, we would do it.”

I was still gaping at the scene when Hyunseung looked away with a sigh, his voice seemingly familiar now, “…Very well. I am requesting for a few days extension.” The bully stared back at the principal, the familiar stern voice echoing from his mouth, “…Have my vessel repaired as well.”

 

 

 

--

 

 

“You’re going?” Seunghyun asked in slight disbelief. Bom came with a small pouch bag filled with ice cubes and handed it over to him.

“I don’t see a reason why I’m not allowed,” she replied, suddenly disappearing to the kitchen to check on the food. It was a bright sunny morning and a quick squabble was their way of starting the day.

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, carefully placing the cold pouch on the back of his head, “Y-You can’t go… You have nothing else to wear… Jiyoung doesn’t like girls who keep repeating their dresses for every date!” What was I saying? Is this a newfound excuse just to keep her away from him?

 

“If you’re so worried, would you like to come and watch me there again?”

 

If only I could. He thought. But then again, I don’t like my reputation be soiled once again infront of all those investors and businessmen.

 

“Look, Seunghyun,” she spoke in her usual stern voice, “In a few day’s time, I would be heading back to my planet. I’m asking for your kind consideration to let me explore this place while I still have the time.”

Seunghyun lowered his eyes, thinking. What else can he do? “Fine. But don’t expect me to be there in case something bad happens to you.”

A smile emerged from Bom’s pink lips, “Thank you very much. You don’t have to worry. If I managed to actually survive here, I’m sure I can handle anything.” She finished off with a small chuckle.

 

 

Seunghyun went to his bedroom to change clothes, when he felt something was missing in his room. He gazed around the pewter colored walls—his cabinet was there, his wrecked bed was there, and the patched-up flooring was there… His pink alarm clock was sitting on his wooden sidetable, along with a tiny picture frame of him and his family. He shrugged off the strange feeling and scratched the back of his head—

“What the? Why doesn’t it hurt anymore?” He wondered as his hand kept patting the part where he was hit. The ice pack must’ve worked well, he thought.

As he walked to the doorway, about to leave for work, his sight caught the empty corner beside the front door. Something’s missing, he thought once again. But strangely, he couldn’t figure out what it was. Bom walked towards him, his briefcase on her hand, “What’s wrong?”

 

He shrugged off the feeling and took his briefcase, finally facing Bom, “Nothing... I think something should be there...”

 

Bom glanced over to the spot where he was looking, and with a faint smile, “Must’ve been your imagination, Tabi-ah. Maybe you should rest more…Oh.” She paused when she caught sight of Seunghyun’s untidy looking necktie. Seunghyun lowered his head, finally noticing the dishevelled knot he made with his tie. He was about to reach his hands to fix the article, but Bom got it first; gently untying it to start over.

 

“…End A should be longer than end B…” she mouthed in a whisper as she took both ends of the necktie with grace, “…Bring A up around and behind B, then bring A up…” Slowly but surely, she recalled the instructions she once watched on TV. Her hands cautiously interlaced the ends of the ties, hoping to achieve the desired result. Unknown to her, Seunghyun’s breath was starting to hitch, and his heartbeat grew faster.

 

She was just a few centimetres away from him, and her scent was beginning to fill up his senses. So this is how it feels to have a wife tying a necktie for her husband, he thought. Very sweet and touching indeed. At that moment, he’s mind was completely on her; not giving even a slight care about the time.

 

“There,” she sighed as she adjusted the finished tie to the center of his chest, “This looks better than a while ago…What do you think?” She looked up to meet his gaze, hoping to hear a compliment. Seunghyun leaned forward slowly, his mind still unable to focus on this heart-throbbing feeling. Bom stood still, unaware of his action.

 

 

Bing, Bong, Bing Bong…”

 

 

The sapphire clock rung, making Bom shift her eyes to the timepiece hanging on the living room wall. “Omona! Eight o’ clock! Tabi! You’re going to be late!!” She exclaimed as she pushed him away hurriedly, “…You have a meeting with the boss, right?”

 

“Oh .” Seunghyun finally came back to his senses, his mind suddenly filled with the words, “Red Alert! Red Alert! You’re in’ late for work!” Bom swiftly pushed him out of the door, watching him half-run towards the bus station.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

---

 

 

 

 

Sorry for not updating much lately.. I'm becoming fond of making oneshots too much.. :P Hihi.

 

 

---

Story comment replies!!!

(I owe you guys soo much of this~ :P)

@Kay37541 and @gjie2cute - uwaaahh~ T^T
@cimmotabi - Why you missed two chapters? T^T
@cikjue_2688 - Don't worry, this is strictly going to be a TopBom story. :)
@FarraFrida - Bom's really secretive, neh? :P Stay tuned!! :)
@miszleexiahjoonsu - Why thank you~ :) I'm really not sure if there's another story out there with the same plot~ :p But still, a big thanks for loving this~ ^^ Stay tuned! :)
@Marianations - Maybe Seunghyun does have a broken past.. :( Find out soon~ :))) And thanks so much for commenting always~!! ^^<3
@MarchGirl - Thanks for loving the story poster~ ^^ I dunno, I just felt like placing the heart on Jiyong's pic... kekeke~ :)))

---

 

 

Once again, once again...

To all my loyal TopBom fan subbies (especially to those who are shy to leave a comment :D)

and to you, you~

Thank you for reading!! ^^

 

See you on the next chapter! :D