Ten - Summer

Extraterrestrial

 

A small orb.

 

 

Then I heard a small mewl. Followed by a sob. There were also voices, but it was hard to decipher the message. My heart ached as the sob began to fade.

 

It was five in the morning, and I stood up from the couch, surprised to see that I was in my blue striped pajamas. I combed my hair with my fingers and flinched when I felt a small bump on my head. Funny, I don’t remember hitting the cupboard in the kitchen—nor did I made a tumbling exhibition.

I shrugged off this small feeling and headed to the bathroom; my arms and feet, unusually heavy. I kept recalling what happened last night, but everytime I did, a pain rushes through my head.

When I came out of the bathroom, I found her sitting quietly in the dining room, beating the eggs. As cheery as I could, I greeted her a fine morning.

 

“Good morning, Bom.” I repeated as I took the glass of water onto the table, sitting across her. “Why are you so early today?”

She let out a passive smile which struck my attention, “Good morning too, Seunghyun.”

Strange. Normally she would call me Tabi—well, not that I miss her calling me that, but, her aura is really strange today. Stranger than usual.

She took the bowl and carried it to the stove treating me like the wind. Did I do something last night? I did not harass her, didn’t I?

 

 

I watched the yellow substance poured onto the hot pan; the hot oil spreading towards the edge of the pan, giving way for the eggs. I immediately removed my hand from her shoulder as she took the silver spatula, breaking up the nearly solidifying egg into fluffy pieces. I watched her graceful hands as she added some condiments to the scrambled eggs. Her eyes were not sad, but entirely focused on her work. When a strand of hair draped over her face, my hand unconsciously tucked it behind her ear.

She switched off the stove, and right on time I handed her a plate. A pleasant smile appeared on her face, thankful for my assistance. When the rice was finally cooked, she handed me the plate of eggs as she got two bowls from the cupboard. I placed the eggs on the table, along with the two grilled fishes; took the chopsticks from the kitchen drawer, along with a drinking glass.

 

“There are still leftovers from yesterday’s lunch,” she uttered as she handed me my bowl of rice. “Would you like me to reheat it?”

“I’m fine with eggs.”

She didn’t spare me a look and just nodded instead. I watched her as her chopsticks reached for the eggs.

 

She must’ve read the expression on my eyes, for she suddenly pulled on a sad, remorseful frown. She was about to open to speak, a splash was heard from the tank, followed by a cat’s hiss.

 

“Yeoreum-ah! Lay off TOP, now!”

The orange-furred feline looked hesitantly at her; and when Bom held her glare, it slowly went away from the glass tank.

“Summer? Wh-why is there a cat here?” I spoke, turning wary by the strange familiarity of the creature. I watched silently as it walked towards Bom languidly. "I don't recall allowing stray pets in this house."
 

The feline jumped from her lap scooting over to my leg, purring. Bom smiled at me, "See? It wants to stay here."

I succumb to her plea once again, and scooped the furry feline into my arms--admitting defeat against this furry creature.

 

I leaned back on the chair with a sigh; something’s up. A part of me wanted to accuse her, but at the same time, I cannot because I didn’t have proof—well except for the headaches…But that’s not enough.

“So how did your date go last night?”

"Nice."

“You don’t seem glad.”

She smiled, “I am. I’ve met a number of people, Tabi. They’re wonderful.”

“Are you going to see him again?” I courageously asked; ignoring the heavy feeling inside.

“I hope so.”

 

Her eyes were sad—disturbingly sad.

“Want to go outside?” I asked. Her eyes immediately lit up like a kid followed by a grin. There. That’s how she should be. Beautiful and always happy.

 

 

 

We headed to the department store for some window shopping, and she was very fascinated by the different clothes that we wear. Authentic and fake furcoats, leather and rubber boots, to cotton and synthetic fiber clothes; she had an eye for every detail. She kept mumbling about having those kind of materials manufactured when she goes back home.

I watched her as she went through a rack of clothes; the saleslady was purposely eyeing her—I don’t know if brought by insecurity. Because of Bom’s gorgeous looks, obviously she will be the envy of every girl. A part of me feels sad though; for she wasn’t mine…And never will be mine.

“Why don’t you try that out?” I mumbled with a smile as she kept her eyes glued to a pale chiffon dress.

 

“But we’re not going to buy it,” her honest eyes seeped through mine and I couldn’t help but chuckle. “We humans have this rule of trying clothes out to see if it fits,” I took the piece of cloth from the hanger and placed it on her bent arm. She looked at me again, very much unsure of what to do.

 

I chuckled as I turned her around and pushed her towards the fitting room; not minding if the saleslady’s suspicious eyes continued to stray on us, “It’ll be fine. Wear it then let me see it.” I took her coat and drew the pink curtains to a close.

 

My fell flat on the buckskin lounger, draping Bom’s coat on my shoulder. It was then I realized we were walking around the mall for almost an hour already—and for a moment I was able to savor the feeling of slumping back on the couch. Why am I doing this for her? It was already fine seeing her wear the y dress she got from Jiyoung… But this? A new set of clothes? Wow. How gallant of me. Once again, another first from penny-pinching Seunghyun.

 

“Seunghyun-ah?”

My eyes lit up as I looked to the direction of the dressing room. It took me a few seconds to realize that the voice was coming from beside me...

There she stood; white shirt, plain pleated jeans and converse; bare-faced yet charming as ever. I noticed her auburn hair reaching below her s—her short hair was quite dazzling before, yet her lengthy wavy hair only showed how well she had been ever since we parted ways.

“Dara-yah,” I mouthed her name as cheery as I could, trying hard to stop her name from dragging me to sadness. “You look…well.”

Her thin lips I once kissed curved up to a smile, “Thank you.” I noticed her fingers strum nervously the strap of her shoulder bag—a habit she has been accustomed to whenever she felt bashful. “You seem well too. How have you been?”

 

How have I been? Let’s see… Ever since you’ve declared out so suddenly the day before our graduation that you were going away to study abroad, I felt absurdly sad—betrayed even. Don’t you know how sad it felt to be the last one to know that you had plans—and that didn’t include me in it. I inwardly squirmed as I remember the idea of holding the tiny box that thankfully I didn’t pop out just before you dumped me. It must’ve been a bigger scene to be rejected infront of a large crowd.

 

“I’ve been well,” I lied. She doesn’t know how hard it has been to keep a strong face to my co-workers; how hard it was for my mother to console me over and over; how hard it was for me to see faces of sympathy and worry everytime I lied about being fine. But she would never know… I never told her. I only wanted her to be happy—and cliché as it may sounded, I had to let her go.

“I thought you were in Japan.”

“I’m currently on a month vacation.”

“Oh.”

 

We fell in silence—the type of silence shared by two strangers. I never thought we’d come to that point. I assumed she was going to be my first and last. My only lover and bestfriend. But all good things must come to an end, they say.

 

I smiled and waved back as she bid goodbye and held hands with her Japanese boyfriend. It’s been years already since we parted ways, and although I know I’ve moved on, a part of me still feels pain. The thought of not having her again feels strangely dreadful. I guess that’s true isn’t it? First love will always have a special place in your heart.

 

 

“Who was that?”

 

I turned around to follow the voice; instantly taking my breath away upon seeing an amazing vision.

 

Pink suits her well. I smiled inwardly as she comes towards me with a straight face, constantly looking behind me.

 

“Are you okay Seunghyun?” Her voice startled me and brought me away from my reverie.

 

“It suits you.”

 

“You haven’t answered my question yet.”

 

“Oh, which one?” I answered unattentively, memorizing her angelic figure covered with light pink fabrics. Scratch that, she doesn’t look angelic. More like a goddess.

 

“Who was that?”

 

I shook my head literally to snap back into focus, “Who? Park Dara? She was an old friend of mine.”

 

A plain smile appeared on her face; then she nodded passively. She took a step back and twirled, showing off the nice drapes of the dress. She never failed to surprise me. One moment, she’s an independent woman, then one moment she turns into an innocent child. We fight often on the smallest things, but it somehow makes my boring day strangely interesting.

 

“Take a look at yourself.” I pointed at the tall mirror beside the rack of clothes.

 

I watched her take slow steps onto the mirror, gaging her reaction. I came behind her and unconsciously reached for her hair tie, letting her long locks fall loosely behind her shoulders.

 

“There, much better.” I whispered. I pat her long red locks, feeling its softness. Her hair smelled nothing like the girls with feminine fragrance. Her hair smelled manly, like mine. And oddly, I found that attractive. It was like she was a part of me.

 

 

 

---

 

 

I took a bite out of my corn cob, and rested my arms on the railings. The river looked absolutely gorgeous as it was finished off by a great sunset. Bom was happily eating her third corn cob, grazing constantly from the view then back to me. After experiencing shame again back in the boutique, I brought her instead here, promising to myself never to buy expensive things again with insufficient credits on my card.

 

I sighed on the thought and gazed back at her instead; she took the last bite of the remaining kernels and then shoved the empty cob onto the plastic bag along with the other two. “It’s delicious Tabi! I’ve never tasted anything more delicious in my entire life!”

 

Her eyes stayed with mine, but she was constantly fidgeting her fingers. Definitely a first from her.

 

I laughed and handed my half-eaten corn cob to her, “Fine fine, take it. Geez. You can’t just expect things to be given to you if you just stand there and stare with those googely eyes.” Who am I kidding. I just gave into her trick.

 

She nearly jumped in happiness as she received the corn from me, “Thank you Tabi!”

 

I watched her as she took quick bites from the corn. She was definitely happy, and strange enough, so did I. My heart cringed at the familiar feeling. No, not this again.

 

 

She placed the corn cobs into the plastic bag again and smiled at me with satisfaction. I chuckled upon seeing some kernels stuck on the edges of her lips. Taking out my handkerchief, I cautiously placed a hand under her chin and as I was about to pat away the kernels, she uttered passively,

 

 

 

 

“Are you going to kiss me?”

 

 

 

 

 

--

 

Dun dun dun duuuunnn!

Didn't think I'd forget about this huh? :P

Once again, I'm so sorry for the wait. It pains me to see you asking for an update; and I'm not giving anything. T_T

For my loyal subscribers, a big thanks to you~ I admire your patience after nearly half a year of waiting.

 

To tell you the truth, I'm having doubts on updating the next chapter--I feel so lost in the plot recently.

A BIG THANK YOU for subscribing and not giving up on this crappy story. :P

May the aliens smile upon your kindness and patience; watch and guide over you.

*kdot that sounded creepy*

 

 

P.S. Will you be mad if I say there's around two chapters left? :>

Annyeong! ^u^