Yah, Kim Myungsoo!

My Cold City Girl

“Aish, stupid Sungyeol! Girls are more important than friends huh? I see what kind of friend he is.” Jiyoung whined while walking to the bus stop with Myungsoo.

“Pfft, he is exactly like you!” Myungsoo smirked.

“Yah! Do you want to die?”

“Anyway, how was the movie?”

“You just saw it, why ask my opinion?” Jiyoung retorted.

“Can’t I have yours? I think that the movie was boring. ” Myungsoo said

“It was okay, I didn’t find it boring. Aish, it is so annoying! I hope Sungyeol doesn’t eat Haneul alive. She is such a cute girl!” Jiyoung laughed.

“Haneul? Kim Haneul?”

“Yeah, Kim Haneul. She is pretty right?” Jiyoung said when the bus came and both of them went to the backseat. “Wait, are you interested? YOU WANT TO KNOW HER??”

“NO! Stop assuming things! I just know her as Hyerin’s friend.” Myungsoo defended.

“Ah, Lee Hyerin. She is also pretty! She is weird though. She doesn’t talk much. I don’t understand why Haneul is friend with her when she could be popular.”

“Jiyoung-ah, she is not weird. She is just shy. You should not talk about people like this.”

“Yah, Kim Mungsoo, are you helping her?”

“I’m not helping anyone. You just shouldn’t say that. You don’t even know her.”

“I don’t WANT to know her! I don’t have a good feeling about her. When we went to high school and people talked about her, it was always about bad things. That’s why I knew that I shouldn’t befriend her.”

“She is not that bad. We should not be assuming things just because of some rumors which are obviously false. She wasn’t a girl that goes aroung to people for money.”

“But that wasn’t the only rumor, there were many others! She never denied them neither.”

“Then, why did you act to be her friend when that Jaejin guy asked you if you knew her earlier?”

“I… “ Jiyoung bite her lips.

“You?” Myungsoo looked at her in her eyes.

“Fine! I JUST WANTED TO LOOK LIKE I KNEW A LOT OF PEOPLE! Are you happy now???” Jiyoung glared him back.

“That’s what I thought.” Myungsoo smirked.

“But I almost knew every well-known people at school. There’s just Lee Hyerin! I don’t know why she is popular when she is just so antisocial. I have my pride as Seoul National University’s party queen. Haneul is such a kind-hearted person to be friend with her.”

“Sungyeol also treats her as a friend, you know?”

“But she doesn’t think the same.” Jiyoung sang.

“Jiyoung, you are being too mean. She didn’t do anything to you!” Myungsoo said in a serious voice.

“Are you raising your voice?” Jiyoung asked.

“I’m just stating something.” Myungsoo said in a more gentle voice.

“Fine, I don’t really care about her anyway! Why did we talk about her!?”  

They awkwardly ended this conversation about Hyerin. Myungsoo and Jiyoung didn’t talk anymore and looked away. Jiyoung, being a loud person, couldn’t bare the silent and spoke up about anything she could think of.

“Myungsoo-ah.”

“Neh?” Myungsoo answered.

“Do you like anyone?” Jiyoung asked.

“No, why?”

“I just wanted to know. You are handsome, you know? Is there any girl?” Jiyoung looked out the window.

“No, I don’t want to date right now. You?” Myungsoo didn’t want to continue on this subject so he asked Jiyoung.

“No, I enjoy parties. If I was to have a boyfriend, I think that I will have to give this up. I STILL WANT TO ENJOY MY YOUTH!” Jiyoung screamed making people on the bus looked at her with weird stares.

“Calm down, you, crazy woman! Let’s go we have arrived.” Myungsoo finally dragged Jiyoung out of the bus while laughing. “Come on, I’ll bring you home first.”

“I can go home alone. I’m not even your girlfriend” Jiyoung said while pinching Myungsoo’s cheeks.

“I insist okay?” Myungsoo slapped her hands away.

“Fine, but I don’t want to go home now. Let’s go eat ramen at the convenience shop! LET’S GOOO!!!” Jiyoung yelled once again.

“Yah, are you crazy?! It’s 1am now! I’m going home!” Myungsoo yelled back.

“Pfft, you no fun! BYE!” Jiyoung turned her back and walked towards home since Myungsoo didn’t want to go eat. Myungsoo followed Jiyoung behind her keeping a good 5 meters of distance. Jiyoung stopped in front of her door, turned around and screamed.

“YAH, KIM MYUNGSOO, TOMORROW, 6PM, MAGIC KARAOKE, BRING YOUR FRIENDS, ARASSO??”

Before Myungsoo could say anything, Jiyoung ran inside her house and banged the door. He laughed at her silliness and walked home.

Myungsoo thought about his little talk with Jiyoung. He always knew that Jiyoung enjoyed her popularity, but that didn’t affect their friendship at all. Jiyoung was not snobbish. In fact, she was also nice to people she liked, but she had to learn about them first which was difficult for her. She actually wanted to be friend with Hyerin when she first moved to Sungyeol, Myungsoo and Hyerin’s neighborhood, but she heard too much rumors about her and finally decided that it is better if she didn’t know Hyerin. Myungsoo understood that, he is just not the type that judged a book by its cover. Even if he and hyerin weren’t close, he still thought that she might just be shy even if her glare definitely freaked him out. Myungsoo was a good person.

On his way home, he heard a faint whining sound coming from an alley. When he went closer, he saw a puppy.

“Awn, puppy, what are you doing here? Where is your owner?” Myungsoo looked around but didn’t see anyone. He, then, saw the injured leg of the puppy.

“Are you hungry? You must be cold right? Here, take my scarf.” Myungsoo dig in his bag and pulled out his grey acrylic scarf. “Wait here, I’ll go buy food for you, okay?”

Myungsoo walked away and stopped on his track.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

When Myungsoo arrived home, everyone was already asleep. He went to the kitchen and went to his bedroom.

“What a tired day! At least, it’s Saturday tomorrow!” Myungsoo closed his eyes and fell asleep without changing out of his clothes.

The next day, Myungsoo stirred in his sleep because of a loud scream.

“WHAT IS THIS THING!!!!!” Myungsoo’s mother screamed.

“YAH! KIM MYUNGSOO, DID YOU BRING THAT THING HOME?!” His mom yelled while banging at his door.

He lazily stood up and walked to the door to open it for his mom. When his mom pushed the door wide open, Myungsoo returned to his bed and continued to sleep when his mom was scolding him.

“How many times did you bring a puppy home? This is not a refuge!” Myungsoo tried to cover his ears but didn’t succeed.

“Arasso, Umma, I will find him a house today!”

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Myungsoo sat on the ground and stared at the small puppy on the bench. The park was crowded. People with their friends and family were laughing all around the place. Myungsoo and the puppy, which he named Baekgu (It means white dog) while the puppy is a black one, were having a staring contest when his phone rang.

“Sunggyu hyung?” Myungsoo asked on the phone.

“Neh? I’m busy right now.”

“Ah right, Jiyoung asked us for karaoke tonight. You want to go?”

“Alright, Magic Karaoke at 6pm, okay?”

“Good, I will see you guys later then.”

Myungsoo hung up and stared at Baekgu once again.

“What am I going to do with you? Where do you want to be, Baekgu?” he asked Baekgu.

“Woouf, wooouf wooouf” Myungsoo faked a dog scream.

“Yah, you are a dog right? Don’t you understand dog language? Why didn’t you answer?”

“I guess I have no choice.”

Myungsoo picked up the puppy, walked to the closest police station and claimed that he found the puppy on the streets. Even if Myungsoo was kind, he knew that he couldn’t keep it.

“Annyeong, Baekgu” Myungsoo bent down to the dog’s level, said his goodbye and left.

*At least, that dog didn’t like me too much neither.* He thought while leaving the police station.