Misconception

The Promenade

 

 

*Jaejoong’s POV*

 

“So, Sooyoung, who will you go to the prom with?” Junsu asks Sooyoung while we were having lunch in the cafeteria. Prom is coming and obviously, people are getting busy for it.

 

“I don’t know. No one asks me yet.” Sooyoung said we settle on a table.

 

“Wae? I thought it’s final that the two of you will go to prom together?” Junsu said, looking at me and Sooyoung.

 

“Well, technically. I didn’t ask her for prom yet. Sooo, she won’t be going out with me.” I said as I eat my food.

 

“So, there’s a possibility that you’ll go out with me then?” Yunho said, smiling widely while looking at Sooyoung.

 

“Nu-uh! I’ll ask her first!” I said, disapproving that Yunho-Hyung will date Sooyoung for the prom.

 

“Then make your move already or I’ll be going out with any guy who’s gonna ask me first.” Sooyoung said as she teases me. She stands up and gets her books.

 

“Where are you going?” I ask, as I eye on Sooyoung and her books.

 

“Hmmm, Oppa just texted me. We’ll be eating out since Zelo don’t want to eat on the cafeteria food again.” She said and kisses my cheeks. “You want to come?” I shook my head. “I’ll see you later then, oppa!”

 

She went out the cafeteria and I was left dumbfounded. Better yet, I could have more time on how to ask Sooyoung out for prom.

 

“Hyung, is he really serious that you need to ask her to be her date than automatically being her date?” Changmin asks as he continues eating his food.

 

“Yep, and I need to think of a plan now. Prom will be this coming weekend and I haven’t asked her out yet.” I said and get my bag.

 

“Where are you going?” Yunho-hyung asks as I stand up.

 

“Off to somewhere to plan.” I said in a wink and went out from the cafeteria hall.

 

 

*SOOYOUNG’S POV*

 

“So, where are we going to eat?” I ask as we were standing in the sidewalk beside Zelo’s school gate.

 

“I don’t know yet. Let’s wait for the brat to come and let him decide since he’s the one who ask for it.” Siwon-oppa said as he looks at his cellphone.

 

“Oppa, how’s college?” I ask as I watch over the gate in case my little brother arrives.

 

“Hmmm, tiring and independent.” Siwon-oppa said as he smiles at me. “Oxford is really nice though. You’re ready for college? You’re still a year away before going to college.” He said as he ruffles my hair.

 

“Not really. I was just thinking about Jaejoong-oppa. He’ll be graduating after a month. He wants to be a lawyer and really work hard to pass all the college exams he takes.” I said quietly as I play with my fingers.

 

“Well, that’s a good sign. He’s eager and focuses on what he wants for the future. He’s determined to get his goals.” Oppa said and calls out Zelo upon seeing him went out from the school gate.

 

“Finally!” I said as I ruffle Zelo’s hair. “Sooo, donsaeng. Where do you want to go and eat lunch?”

 

“Hmmm.. I want cherry tomatoes for lunch!” He said while playing with his skateboard. “Noona, where’s Jae-hyung?”

 

“He’s quite busy with his Physics. He’s at school with his friends.” I said as he gets my books. “Wow, such a gentleman.”

 

“Of course! Hyung taught me to be a good boy. Right Hyung?” He said as he looks at Siwon-oppa who just nods on what he said.

 

“Well, why don’t let’s just start to walk? I need to go back by 2pm for my Chem class.” I said and we walk to the nearest food chain.

 

 

---Days passed---

 

It’s been three days already and yet Jaejoong-oppa still haven’t asked me out. Even this lunch, he didn’t bother asking me about prom. I get pissed at him and decided to walk out from the cafeteria hall. I went to my chem class and decided to study about chemistry rather bugging myself about prom and jaejoong.

 

“What’s with the face?” I hear someone said and find Jessica-unnie at my side.

 

“Unnie, what are you doing here?” I asked as she moves towards me. “Why is a senior doing in a junior’s class?”

 

“Well, I saw you looking sad while I pass by and decided to come and see you. Something’s wrong Sooyoung?” She asked me and I just shook my head and give a small smile. “Sooyoung-sshi! When did you try to lie to your cousin? Come on. Say it if you don’t want me to call Siwon-oppa to let you spill it out.”

 

“Ani, I’m not trying to lie at you. It’s just that..It’s not that kind of a big deal anyway.” I said to her but she still gives me a serious look. “Well, it’s just..about prom.”

 

“And? What about it? You don’t have any dress to wear? No shoes, no carpool, Uncle didn’t allow you..” Jessica-unnie said a random of things but I instantly cut her out. “Then what is it?”

 

“It’s Jaejoong-oppa. He haven’t asks me to go out with him yet.” I said looking down. “Just this Monday, Yunho-oppa said that if I could be his date but Jaejoong-oppa disapproves and said that he will ask first.”

 

“What’s the problem now?” Jessica-unnie asks as he lean in the table and looks at me.

 

“That’s the problem! It’s been three days already and he still haven’t ask me yet!” I said and sob. “I don’t know if he still has plans or he already ask another girl.”

 

“Donsaeng, don’t feel down. I know Jaejoong-sshi is just looking for the right timing to ask you out.” She said and smiles at me. “Prom is this weekend, there still two days left. Sooo, don’t worry about it.”

 

“And if he won’t ask me at all?” I said as I look at her.

 

“Then go find another date.” She said and taps my back. “Don’t worry Sooyoung. He’ll ask you, I’m positive about it.”

 

The bell finally rings for the first period in the afternoon. Students went inside the laboratory. Jessica-unnie takes her leave after several students walk in. I was left then, sitting alone in my chair waiting for my class.

 

Another day pass, still Jaejoong-oppa didn’t bother to ask me about prom.

 

‘It’s Friday already.’ I thought to myself as I caress the dress that I’m supposed to wear for tomorrow’s event. I face myself in the mirror and wipe small tears in my eyes. “I can’t believe he forgot about it.” I went downstairs and find my parents, Siwon-oppa and Junhong eating breakfast. I take my seat and silently eat my food.

 

“honey, why are you sad? Something wrong?” My mom asks as she puts food on my plate.

 

“Ani, umma. I just don’t feel good.” I said and start to eat.

 

“Why? Is my little girl sick?” My mom asks as she put her palm in my forehead.

 

“Ani, she’s just lovesick.” Siwon-oppa teases me as he bites his food.

 

“Lovesick? Did Jaejoong do something to make our little princess sad?” My dad said as he sips from his coffee.

 

“Ani, it’s just about prom. He didn’t ask me out yet.” I said as I silently eat my food. While we were eating, Butler Park came to us and informed that Jaejoong is already outside. “I’m going now umma, appa. You guys have a safe trip to Brazil.” I bow and went to see Jaejoong outside. As usual, he greets me and STILL, didn’t talk about prom. The whole ride was silent and it was now quite awkward so I decided to break the ice.

 

“Oppa,” “Sooyoung” we both said in unison and we just laugh.

 

“What is it you want to ask?” I said afterwards and Jaejoong just smile at me.

 

“You go first. What do you want to ask Jagiya?” He asks as his eyes still on the road.

 

“Well, just about prom. Are you going?” I asked as I bite my lips.

 

“Of course! Why won’t I? It’s my last prom in high school.” He said and flashes a smile. “Why you ask?”

 

“Nothing. Just random question.” I said as I flash a small smile and look down. “Your turn. What do you want to ask to me?” I said as I look at him again.

 

“Hmmm, by chance, are you free later after class? I want to talk to you about something.” He said in a serious tone. I froze for a while. What if he wants to break up with me that’s why he didn’t bother to ask about prom? Or what if he has another date? What if..

 

“Jagiya?” I snap out from my thoughts and look at him. “Are you okay? You’re getting pale.”

 

“I’m.. I’m alright.” I said. We arrived in school already. He had already parks the car and we went out.

 

“what’s the rush? Let’s go together.” He said, intertwining my hands to his and giving me a warm smile. The ideas in my mind were back again. ‘What if he wants to end this? What if he’s seeing me but he already found another? Why isn’t he asking me to be his date for the prom?’, I thought. I can’t take it anymore and suddenly tears went flowing from my eyes.

 

“Jagiya? Why are you crying? Are you alright?” he asks and wipes my tears.

 

“I’m sorry but I need to go.” I said in sobs and let go of my hands from his and walk away.

 

 

“Is it me or you and oppa had a fight?” Seohyun asks as I walk in class.

 

“Ani.” I said as I wipe my tears away and take a seat.

 

“If not, then why are you crying?” Seohyun asks again as she looks at me. “You’re too red unnie!”

 

“No.. I just had allergies.” I said and smile at her and look down. I don’t know what to do.

 

Just as before the class start, I receive a text from Jaejoong-oppa. He reminded me about the talk.

 

                From: <3jae

 

                Message: I just want to remind you about the talk later. After class, 6pm at the roof top.

 

 

Time pass. I avoided Jaejoong and his friends. I went to the library during lunch since I’m assured that Jaejoong can’t talk to me inside the library. I waited for 6pm. When the clock strikes 6pm, I went to the rooftop, clearing the things that are going on in my head. I know it’s silly to assume but I can’t help myself but to assume things.

 

 

Just before I open the rooftop door, I inhale and hold my breath for a long time then exhale. “Here goes nothing. Hwaiting Sooyoung!” I said and open the door.

 

 

I open the door and petals shower all over me. The whole place was not like the old, dusty rooftop of Star Academy. It was like from the fairy tale book, or to be specific, the same as beastly where Kyle show the girl the rooftop. For a split second, I was amazed and touch by the scene itself. My eyes scan the whole place. It was truly magical until… until I spotted HIM. Standing, back facing at me.  I suddenly feel gloomy and down again. The thoughts comes back and ‘what if..’ sentences were running through my head.