"I'll always be 1 step ahead, while your 3 steps behind..."

The Taxi Cab Killer

A hard object meets the back of your head and stops you in your tracks. Your vision blurs and just like that your knocked out, lost within a new found smothering darkness...

...

....

When you came to, you were staring into the eyes of the serial killer. You tried to put all those years of FBI training to use, but your limbs didn't respond and you were pinned against a wall by your neck. As you dangle there trying to regain the feeling in your legs, the hand holding you up releases and you slide down the wall scraping back on the way down. With each fresh wound, your brain slowly begins to recognize reality. Your barely functioning body crashes into the pavement, and a deafening thud echos filling the dark alley. Your arms, now in survival mode, beggingly cling to the concrete, trying to lift the rest of your body. Before you can crawl more than an inch, the heel of a boot digs into your hand. The bones in your hand make an audible crushing sound, in return to the unbearable pressure. You let out an inaudible scream, as your eyes well up with tears. A hand grabs a fist full of your hair and jerks your head up, so you meet eyes with your attacker.

"Tonight is your lucky night. I won't kill you, if you relay a message for me...." A labored voice breaks the silence of the deserted alley.

Before you can even think, your head nods yes on its own. You would say anything is that meant you would keep your life in return. You desperately listen, as the voice begins to tell you his message.

"Be sure this gets to Heechul and Siwon...." the voice continues, while you shake your head up and down once again, hoping this willl speed up the process.

"I'll always be 1 step ahead, while your 3 steps behind..." that is the last thing you hear the man say, as your hair is released and you collapse against the ground.

You stay like this for a few short moments, as you try to steady your breath and test out your limbs. You spot your cell phone a couple feet away but as soon as you motion for it, a gut wrentching pains stabs through your hand. And with that you are forced to re-live what just happened all over again. The pain in your hand combined with the soreness taking over your body is too much, and you begin to slip out of consciousness. Before your brain completely shuts off from the world, you hear a faint "Miss, are you okay?" followed by some light shaking. The next morning -more like morning of the following week- you find yourself lying in a hospital bed, greeted by a shooting pain coursing through your body everytime you moved.

You had never felt pain like this before and even the smallest movements caused you to air into your extremely parched throat. This only made your pain feel that much more surreal, and just as you were about to try and call out for a nearby nurse...you locked eyes with someone peering through your door window. It was..... it was.....HIM, you were looking into the same eyes that belong to the man who nearly killed you. The fear that filled your body could only be expressed by lifelessness overcoming you and stealing the last piece of sanity you had. The man didn't make a sound or dare to come in, what he did was just as terrifying; while keeping a dead lock on your eyes, he lift his right hand to his neck and slid it cross in one fluent motion. This spoke all the words you needed to hear, as he repeated his previous action he mouthed these words "Tell anyone you saw my face...and your DEAD!"

You blinked and when you opened your eyes again, he was gone... an eerie silence formed in his place. The nurse that was suppose to be monitoring your room, finally took time out of her busy flirting with all the doctors schedule and walked into your room. She jumped back in response to what she witnessed....there was no one in your room, not even you. She cried out for the head doctor at the hospital and he froze at your room doorway, ridden with confusion. Before the doctor could ask the nurse what happened, Heechul and Siwon barged into the room.

"Yah! Heejin-" Heechul's playful words were cut off by the abrupt realization, that you were gone.

"Where is patient Yoon Hee Jin?" Siwon directed his question to the doctor as Heechul stood in the middle of the room with his mouth hanging open.

"S-s-she" the doctor stuttered as his eyes tried to focus on Siwon.

"Did she change rooms?" Siwon continued, praying that his guess was right.

"S-she....she is g-gone" the doctor struggled to finally form a sentence.

"What do you mean gone?" Siwon hopelessly questioned.

Heechul's words cut off the reply coming from the doctor, "There is a note on her pillow....something isn't right..."

Everyone's eyes locked on the note in Heechul's hand as he began to read its content.

                    Dear Heechul and Siwon,

I'm sorry things had to be this way but...I can't stay here anymore.

As you know both know, I made a mistake that night and...

the only reason I am alive is because, I promised the man who attacked me,

I'd deliver a message to you both. He wanted me to tell you....

"I'll always be 1 step ahead, while your 3 steps behind..."

I beg you not to come looking for me....or contact me in the future.

                                                                                                                   -Heejin

Unlike everyone else in your hospital room, Heechul thought you were getting him back for the joke he made last week. But reality hit him, when he called your phone.

"I told you not to call me!....I'm not safe here in Korea. I'm sorry to disappoint you like this...but I'm boarding a plane to America in 10 minutes. If you want to go after HIM.....do it yourself, I can no longer help you.... Goodbye, Kim Heechul...." you say in a frantic voice, panicked by this dreaded phone call.

Before Heechul could get a word in, the sound dial tone poured into his ear. This was the first Heechul couldn't say a word, all he could do was blink in shock as the phone fell from his hand and bounced as it impacted the floor....The only words he said, stayed trapped inside his mind, "So this is how it felt....how it felt to lose everything you worked for....today was the day that I, the great and powerful Kim Heechul lost to some prick preying on drunk women....."

Days went by after your disappearance, then days turned into a week and weeks turned into a month. Since you left, there were a few leads on the case but they all soon led to dead ends. Until one afternoon a phone rang at the Police department....

"Hello This is the Sheriff speaking" Leeteuk answered the phone, hoping he wasn't about to take his squad on another wild goose chase.

"...Guess who am I." an antagonizing voice answered back.

"The police department does not have time for stupid prank calls-" just as Leeteuk was about to hang up he stopped when he heard the voice reply.

"It's me... The Taxi Cab Killer...."

......