Any Other Circumstances.

Love is Blind.

 

Standing at the door to Hyunseung’s apartment block I felt a little giddy. It was terrifically silly and I felt like slapping myself across the face and saying get yourself together you idiot, you’re only returning his wallet. I was still perplexed about the date of the newspaper cutting, but right now that wasn’t the most important thing on my mind – plus, it was probably just a printing mistake anyway.

I nervously pressed the buzzer next to the name ‘Jang Hyun Seung’ and waiting for a response, my stomach doing stupid little flips like I was riding on a rollercoaster. All of a sudden, catching me off-guard, a soft voice came from the buzzer:

“Who is it?” he sounded sleepy – or perhaps that was just through the filter of the buzzer.

“It’s Yong Junhyung. You dropped your wallet in my car last night; I was just returning it.”

There was no response for a couple of seconds.

“Oh. Okay the door’s open.”

I opened the front door of the building and climbed up the stairs to the first floor, then looking for flat number 118. When I found it I knocked gently on the door. It opened and there he was: hair dishevelled as though he’d only just woken up and only a pair of pyjama bottoms on. His bare chest was breath-taking. He had flawless milky skin and absolutely no hairs on his chest. He looked so innocent but I was strangely .

“Come in.” He instructed.

“Thanks. Didn’t wake you up did I?”

“Kinda.”

“Sorry about that. Although it is-” I checked my phone for the time, “-two in the afternoon.”

“I don’t sleep well.” He gave no explanation but just stated the fact quietly.

“Well, here’s your wallet.” I put out my arm and he took it from me.

“Thank you, I didn’t realise I had left it.”

I didn’t want to leave so quickly after seeing him but I felt like I was being a nuisance and I got the feeling that he didn’t really want me there.

Regardless, I asked, “Do you live here alone?”

“Yes, but my little sister comes to visit every other weekend.”

“How old is she?”

“She’s 11.”

“I bet she’s adorable.” Anyone related to this beautiful man must be something else. “I have an older sister.”

“Does she live with you?”

“Yeah, our parents kinda left us a few years ago to develop their business so she looked after me and now we look after each other. As long as we’re together, we’re alright.”

He didn’t say anything but looked down at the ground.

I bit my lip in awkwardness but I couldn’t hold back from asking one last thing:

“I don’t mean to pry, but why were you so isolated from everyone else when you came to CUBE? You looked so alone. I felt sorry for you.” I knew he wouldn’t want pity – who would? And I regretted it as soon as I said it, but it just came out.

He looked at me straight in the eyes. He was standing at least three metres away but his stare was intense. His whole body seemed to stiffen. I’d clearly touched a nerve.

“I tend to stay away from people.” He stated rigidly.

“Why?”

“I have my reasons.” He turned away and took a deep breath. “I think you should leave.” On the last word his voice very slightly cracked, as if he was about to cry.

“I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to offend you, I was just curious.” I apologised.

“Please just go.”

I frowned, feeling horrible that I’d been stupid enough to say such an insensitive thing. “Sorry.” I said one last night, and then I left his apartment, closing the door behind me and sinking to the ground, hitting myself on the head for being a complete and utter idiot. Now he’d never want to speak to me again… not that he did anyway, but now it was just even worse. This is why you haven’t been in a relationship for so long, you can’t even talk normally to people: you always make it worse!

*Hyunseung’s POV*

I knew something like this was going to happen as soon as I saw the guy. It was just my luck. He was exactly as I pictured the person I fell in love with to be: tall, muscular, passionate about dancing, gentle and kind. When he talked about how dancing makes him feel, that was the pinnacle when I knew this would lead to something very bad. I was attracted to him to the point where I hadn’t slept all night because I couldn’t stop thinking about him, how he moved and talked – hence sleeping in until 2pm. I wanted to tell him everything and for him to embrace me and tell me that it’s okay and it’s just a bad dream. I craved to touch his skin and to open my heart to him. But it just wasn’t possible.

Under any other circumstances I would have offered him a drink, perhaps something to eat, and then I would have asked him to dinner or some other kind of socially acceptable date.

Under any other circumstances.

My situation was not something which allowed that kind of thing to happen, I couldn’t do that to another person; it would break me. I couldn’t drag someone into my chaotic and destructive life and ruin them like I’ve been ruined myself.

Yong Junhyung was a danger to me. And by being a danger to me, he was being a danger to himself. He couldn’t be near me, I wouldn’t let him speak to me or touch me – it would be far too heart-breaking. If he had any feelings for me, it was crucial he got rid of them as soon as possible for his own good. I’d stay away from him, wouldn’t answer the door to him and would do my very best to protect him – no matter how much I wanted him to love me.

Dancing was the only thing that kept me sane when it all got too much. I could stretch and move my body in silent rhythms and dance to the beats inside my head and no one would bat an eyelid. Dancing was normal. It made me feel normal which was something I treasured far too much now. Dancing made me feel alive - something I longed more than anything to stay. 



 

Hooray I've finished my exams so I have 13 whole weeks to blissfully write as much as I like so there should be more frequent updates now :)

Whadda you think of this chapter? I added in a little insight into Hyunseung's thoughts to keep you on your toes as to the twist of the story, but I betcha can't guess what it is!

Enjoy~

#nowplaying: Honey Honey - Gangkiz.