Open Up.

Love is Blind.

 

“Alright if you wanna go through these doors and to the changing rooms to get into your dance kit, girls are on the right and guys on the left. Meet back out here in 10 minute.” Doo Joon instructed as we approached our familiar department of the company.

At CUBE, we had 5 dance studios and 3 smaller rehearsal studios so there was plenty of space for the trainees, ourselves and visitors. The studios were my favourite place in the whole building. They were beautifully designed: each had slightly different waxed light wood floors used for different types of dance such a tap, ballet or street. Three of the four walls were, instead of plaster, mirrors from the top of the room to the bottom. The high ceiling was strung with various lightings to create the visual and mood effects needed for either rehearsing or performing, and the studio music system, embedded into the fourth wall, when turned to full volume (which I was stupid enough to do when younger), was loud enough to temporarily deafen someone.

I usually used them on my own late at night once the trainees had finished for the night and everyone else around had gone home to get some sleep ready for the next early and stressful day. The only way I could describe it is when you step outside when it’s pitch black outside after a big storm. No one is out because they’re too afraid of another drop of rain, and the whole place is dripping wet. It’s completely silent and you feel like you’re the only person in the world. When I walk into an empty studio late at night, it’s comparable to that. The accompanying last drips of the trees are the final reverberations of the talks and shouts and taps and feet of the dancers in there previously. But when they die away, I’m the only person in the world. And then I can dance to my heart’s content.

These studios meant a lot to me. When my parents left, they were my sole friend. When Hyunah sinks into depression, they’re my escape. When I feel too lonely, they’re like a lover. They comfort and console me, and they’re my favourite place in the whole world.

“I’ll go and set up the music, just bring them in when they’re all out, okay?” Doo Joon smiled.

“No problem.”

The door to the changing rooms then opened and slowly emerged the boy I’d been staring at and thinking about for most of the day. I was starting to worry about myself – was I obsessed with this poor boy? What did I want from him, if anything?

After noticing no one else was out yet, he slightly turned as though to go back into the changing rooms and wait until more people were out, but I stopped him quickly with a noise which sounded a bit like ‘euoh!’. He turned back around, looking slightly perplexed at what had just come out of my mouth, and stood silently about a metre away from me.

That was it. I was completely frozen. It was as though my whole vocabulary had just disappeared of embarrassment and awkwardness. My mind swooped around to find a word to land on and string with another, eventually finding it’s cool and bringing out, “do you like dancing?” in a slightly strained voice.

The boy looked up, surprised at my sudden question. He hesitated a little, as if trying to find the exact careful words to describe his answer. “More than anything.” He replied.

My heart suddenly flipped. He was a dancer too? Knowing this, I could now appreciate his slender figure which was outlined in the clothes he had changed into. He was wearing grey slim fitting harem pants with a tight black wife beater and Jeremy Scott hi tops. His hair was slightly messy, presumably from pulling clothes over his head and he now had a slight rouge blush on his flawless cheeks.

“Me too.” I said, a small smile upon my face. He said nothing else, and another awkward silence ensued until the other members of the group gathered out of the changing rooms, chatting amongst themselves, but still saying nothing to the beautiful boy next to them. More than anything else, I wanted to know why. I wanted to speak to him and know him and understand him.

But instead, I knew it was impossible – he would leave this building tonight and I would never see him again. I pulled myself back to reality, “all ready?” they nodded and I lead them into the studio we were using where Doo Joon had already put on some music. They ‘oooh’-ed and ‘woah’-ed at the room, looking around with wide eyes – the boy most of all. His lips parted a little and even though the expression wasn’t there, I could tell he was pleased with the studio which gave me a sense of intense satisfaction. He walked around the whole room away from everyone else, ignoring their confused stares, he looked up and down at every inch of the place, then stopping at the end of the far wall, he looked at himself in the mirror. He touched the mirror where his refection was and tilted his head to the side, frowning. He then seemed to take a big breath, breathing out as an inaudible sigh and slowly walked back towards the group, apparently not noticing everyone else thinking what a freak he was.

To divert their attention as quick as I could, I started the class.

“Alright, first thing we’re gunna do is warm ups so find a big space away from everyone else. After that Doo Joon and I are going to show you what we’re going to be teaching you today and then we’ll start. Okay?”

***

The day was over. As I shoved all my gear back into my backpack ready for the drive home, I thought about how graceful that boy looked during the dance class. I’d never seen anyone dance so beautifully or with so much passion. Every move was conducted with complete precision and every step was taken as though he was gliding across the stave which the music was written on. He was exactly how I always wished for my trainees to end up – he was the perfect example of what a dancer should be.

Unfortunately, because he never did anything wrong, I had no reason to talk to him throughout the class and as I’d feared, he’d left without another single word and I was truly disappointed. I felt an ache in my body knowing that I’d never see or speak to him again. There was something about him which caught my attention and although I couldn’t admit it out loud, caught my heart.

“Hey man do you need a lift home?” Doo Joon asked, popping his head around the corner or the changing rooms.

“No thanks hyung, I have Hyunah’s car today.”

“Alright, see you tomorrow then.”

“See ya.” I waved him goodbye then checked myself in the mirror. I’d never ever liked my chubby cheeks or slightly bigger lips. I felt swollen, but I liked my smile that came out from underneath all the excessive skin. I wondered what that boy’s smile was like. He had cute little jowls around his mouth and I bet they smoothed out into perfect dimples.

I sighed. Stop thinking about him, Jun Hyung. He’s gone, you’re just being stupid now.

I picked up my backpack and walked out towards the entrance. I scanned my staff card to let myself out and went out into the cool late evening air. It was refreshing after such an exhausting day – physically and mentally due to a certain male.

I looked around towards the car park but on the wall around the fountain in the middle of the main courtyard, I noticed a somewhat familiar figure sitting on it’s own. I walked in that direction subtly so I could veer off to my car if it wasn’t someone I knew. As I got closer, I noticed the messy hair and glowing skin. It was the boy from the group. Maybe he was waiting for someone to pick him up?

If I didn’t take this opportunity, I may never ever speak to him again in my life so I cleared my throat and mentally slapped myself across the face. I walked over with a small smile, hoping not to scare him like earlier.

I sat down next to him – but leaving enough room between us for it not to be awkward. “Hey, are you waiting for someone?”

“Uhhh.. um no I’m not.” He said quietly.

“Oh.” I was stumped. “Did you enjoy today?” I asked, needing to find another conversation starter. Maybe he was just bad at communicating and that’s why no one bothered.

He hesitated again as he did earlier, carefully choosing his words. “I did.” Then he paused. “I liked the dance class most.”

I filled with happiness at his answer. He liked my class best! “You’re a very good dancer. I was impressed. How long have you been dancing?”

He blushed and looked the opposite direction. “So are you. I’ve been dancing since I was 4.”

“Wow, and if you don’t mind me asking, how old are you now?”

“I’m 22.”

“Same as me!” I said a little too excitedly, finding something else I had in common with this magical boy. He said nothing in return. I was quiet for a little while then I asked, “What’s your name?”

“Jang Hyunseung.”

I nodded but didn’t know what else to say. We were silent once again for a good three minutes. But I didn’t feel so awkward this time. Maybe it was the evening air relaxing me, but I felt kind of comfortable.

Then all of a sudden, he asked me a question: “What do you like most about dancing?” he asked in a timid but brighter voice than before.

I knew what my answer was in an instant. “I like being able to use dance to connect with other people. Whether I’m showing them I’m strong, or that I’m sad, or that I love them or even that I’m hurting, I can do it all with dance. It’s something which can be used to convey any emotion that a human feels. It can be dancing with an enemy, with a friend or with a lover and it still feels more powerful than any words I could ever say.” I was happy with my answer, although I was worried he’d find me a little too deep for just meeting me. “What about you?”

He then smiled. It was only a closed lip smile and he was still looking at the ground, but he actually smiled. I made this boy smile. And I was just as beautiful as I imagined. He had the dimples I’d thought about and the skin formed perfectly around his face. “Exactly what you just said.”

I smiled back at him, and he turned his head to face me for a second.

“Do you need a lift home?” I ventured to ask.

He didn’t reply immediately.

“I don’t mind, honestly.” I said encouragingly.

Then he nodded.

“Great, let’s find my car.”

Being in such a tight proximity with him in the car was like being cast under a spell. My nose was under the charm of his light flowery scent, my eyes kept being stolen to his face, and my body felt as though it was being pulled towards him like a magnet. What’s wrong with you Jun Hyung? He’s a GUY!

“I like your car.” He said in the same small voice.

“Thanks, it’s my sister’s actually but I use it more than her. She really likes Audi’s so when she’d almost saved up all the money for a TT, I figured I should put some towards it to help her out so I suppose I own a small part of it. Probably only a couple of doors though.” I joked, but no laughter emitted from his mouth. I guess I couldn’t get him to open up that quickly.

Around 10 minutes later, I realised I hadn’t asked where he lived and I was heading straight home to my own apartment. When I told him he said I was going the right way which confused me even more. Did he live near me?

It turned out that, yes, he did. He lived in a similar apartment to Hyunah and I’s just one block away. “I live next block up.” I admitted. He didn’t smile or reply which made me think he didn’t really care and he just wanted to get on with his lift without me.  

He got out, dragging his bag which had come open with him. “Thanks for the ride and for today.”

“You’re welcome. Bye Hyunseung.”

***

When I returned to my apartment, I grabbed my backpack, then noticing something had fallen out of it which looked like my wallet. I picked it up but realised it wasn’t mine. I opened it and looked at the ID card. It was Hyunseung’s wallet which must have fallen out of his bag when it had opened as he left.

A part of me was thrilled to have found it because it meant I could see him again tomorrow when I’d take it back to him. But another part of me was scared of seeing him again in case he didn’t want to see me, and I was just a bit of an annoyance to him.

 

I’d sleep on it and try not to think too deep into anything. At any rate, I’d definitely have to take it back to him tomorrow. 



 

Sorry for not updating in a while! I've in the middle of A-Level exams! :((

Here's another long chapter for you, and those of you who guessed Hyun Seung... CORRECT! :D

Think extra carefully about when Hyunseung looked in the mirror and touched his reflection in the dance studio (BTW it's nothing to do with Vampires so don't even guess that) what do you guys think it could be?

#nowplaying: Candy - Far East Movement. AWW YEEE NEW FAR EAST ALBUM! Check it out! 'Dirty Bass'