Revealed

Dear Diary, I am Fat.

“Cho Hee.”

 

 “Is that you, Ary?”

 

“Yes.”

“And I have something to tell you…”

 

“What is it?”

 

“The truth.”

 

“The truth?”

 

“Remember the time when you requested for me to appear?”

 

“Yea, I remember.”  

 

“Just like what I said, I can’t, I really can’t.

“Because I am not human.”

 

“Not human?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I don’t understand, Ary.”

 

“Uhm… I don’t know how to say this and at the end of the day, you may or may not comprehend everything that is going to follow. Cho Hee, ridiculous as it sounds, I’m somewhat like a spirit. I used to take the form of your diary the whole time until your …accident. Under special circumstances, I was called upon and thus emerged in this awkward form.”

 

“You don’t know what you’re saying, Ary. It doesn’t even make sense for a diary to speak. ”

 

“I’m sorry to freak you out. I know this may sound ridiculous to you right now.”

 

“…”

 

“But Cho Hee, are you scared of me?”

 

“N-No.”

 

“Good. Cho Hee, there is one last thing I have to warn you.”

 

“I-I am listening…”

 

“The day is nearing and I must remind you that all good things come to an end…You know what I mean?”

 

“Ary, I mean Di…ary, what are you trying to imply?”

 

“You do know what I mean, Cho Hee. You do.”

 

Cho Hee jolted awake from her sleep as she sat upright on her springy bed. The words came rushing to her like an impending wave as her poor brain digested all those ridiculous facts.

Ary is her diary. Her diary is Ary.

“The day… The day Ary is referring to…” Cho Hee mumbled to herself incoherently.

It was the accident day when she ran out onto the road to end her life.

‘All good things come to an end’, she had seen it coming. Everything began to fall into place, like a well-fitting puzzle being put together and now, falling apart. With every remaining strength, she wants to retain the pieces and keep this beautiful picture intact. However, she knew. Nothing lasts forever and her beautiful dream is going to last for only three days. Without her realizing, tears started to fall. For the first time since she came into the new world, Cho Hee cried herself to sleep.

 

The Next Day…

Cho Hee settled herself at the back of the studio and watched on. She observed how her dance group members were having fun together. There wasn’t the competitiveness lingering in the air, unlike the old times. It was a comfortable environment and they were all smiling faces. Cho Hee didn’t realize Hoya creeping up from behind her. He sneakily placed his lips close to her ears and made some noise.

Cho Hee shrieked out loud at his prank, causing the members to turn back and look at them. Hoya bared his teeth and surrendered both his hands in the air, embarrassed. Some of the members laughed, knowing what just happened. Cho Hee could still feel her heart thumping wildly in her ribs as she felt a chilling sensation run down her body. She felt alive.

“That was childish.” She commented softly as Jiyeon enter.

Hoya smiled but said nothing more.  

“At this point, girls, you will do a split and the guys would pull you up in a swift moment. Get it?” Jiyeon said as she executed the move flawlessly, as expected from the dance group leader.

Myungsoo released her awkwardly as she walked up to the rest of the group.

“Practise with your partner for 30 minutes and we will come back together as a group to synchronise the movement! Practise hard for the reputation of ‘Sparklex’, alright?” she shouted.

“Ne.” They chorused.

Cho Hee swallowed hard at the next move to be practiced. It was the very same move that screwed the performance, spoilt everything and shattered her flawed life back then. Sinking her nails into her thigh, Cho Hee realized she still had not kicked this habit of hers. She felt the first layer of her skin tear beneath her fabric but the sensation she felt in her heart eased her fear a little.

“What are you doing?!” Hoya questioned as he grabbed her right hand.

Cho Hee bit her lips and crapped out the lamest excuse of a mosquito bite on her thigh. Surprisingly, Hoya took her word for it. She was glad and amused at the same time. Getting into position as requested, Cho Hee looked up at Hoya. He nodded a signal for her to go down. However, Cho Hee merely froze.

“We can do it.” He reassured.

“The same words of reassurance.” She thought.

Cho Hee slid down with a sadistic smirk spread across her face. Her leg shifted slightly and she fell sideway onto the studio ground expectedly. Some people rushed over to help her up but she couldn’t feel or hear anything. All she knew was she had correctly expected it, again. Subsequently, Hoya urged for her to stretch and so she did. Then, they tried again.

Sliding down effortlessly, Cho Hee glanced up to see Hoya pulling her up with his brows knitted slightly.

“I must be really heavy.” She thought to herself sadly.

“I told you we can do it.” He said with a victorious smile.

“Sorry for being your partner.” Cho Hee apologized sincerely.

“The apology is redundant.” Hoya remarked bluntly.

Cho Hee’s eyes widened at his words.

“I chose you as my partner.” He said with the kind of emotions that made Cho Hee melt on the inside.

However, a surge of sadness soon replaced all other feelings she was feeling at that point.

“I…I need the toilet urgently.” She informed before running off.

Reaching the cubicle, her same refuge place, she locked herself inside. Sliding with her back against the door, Cho Hee buried her face into her propped-up knees.

“Lee Howon, please don’t. Don’t make me misunderstand anymore. Before or now, stop acting like you care. Stop acting like you like me too. Stop acting like this or else I can never stop being this pathetic Park Cho Hee. Please…” Cho Hee broke down on the outside.

She hated how her heart was still going out to Hoya, same or different.

After some time, Cho Hee got out of the cubicle. She walked over to the basin and sighed. Splashing some water onto her face, Cho Hee looked into the mirror which had her reflection in it.

“You’re back.” Hoya said as he looked over Jiyeon’s shoulders and spotted Cho Hee.

“Yea. Sorry for taking such a long time.” She apologized.

“Want to practise together?” Jiyeon asked Hoya with a smile.

“Sure.” Hoya agreed, without consulting Cho Hee at all.

Standing beside one another, the two pairs were ready. Some curious eyes landed on them and Cho Hee shook her head to focus. With the music beat playing, both of them descended slowly and rose with the strong pull from their partners. Jiyeon looked over and gave a soft clap at the end of the movement.

“It’s all good but Hoya, you might need to pull Cho Hee up a little faster.” Jiyeon gave them a feedback.

“I will keep that in mind.” Hoya replied.

Cho Hee did not say anything nor did she apologize. She just stood there and stared into space. Hoya waved his hand before her and she looked up to meet with his dazzling smile. Cho Hee swore if she could, she would have sprayed tons of insecticides to kill all those flapping butterflies in her stomach. She remained expressionless.    

“Guys! Let’s gather back together already~ It seems like most of you have mastered the final move and now, for the finale pose…” Jiyeon instructed as she illustrated the formation which Cho Hee has already known.

Everything was the same. The only difference was Cho Hee and Hoya pair was allocated to the front since the start and not by request, like before. Similarly, everyone was buzzing excitedly at the thought of the senior performance.

“In 3 days’ time, we will be sparkling on stage like we have always been, right?!” Jiyeon shouted loudly as she pointed to the dance group like a rock singer on stage.

“YES!” came the resounding response. 

“No, we won’t be.” Cho Hee muttered under her breath.

This time, her voice was drowned once more.

 

Author's Note:
Hello guys!
Truth to be told, I'm utterly disappointed after updating last chapter ):
The response made me feel disheartened but still, with -xmarshmallow, pistachio and gellow's comments, it encouraged me slightly.
Thank you so much. <3
Ary's identity has finally been revealed and kudos to maiangel109 who has guessed correctly. (:
This fic would be ending and I really, really hope you guys will support this till the end.
Thank you once more for reading 'Dear Diary, I am Fat'.