Standing Up

I Love You, Mister Stranger

banner credits to: nanaISyeoni

--------------

Another week had passed since what happened. Daddy-Long-Legs never stopped writing me notes, though I didn’t reply. It turned out that he heard about what happened a week ago. How? I don’t know, and I didn’t bother asking.

As for Jiyong? He turned weird, he turned strange. I never heard his lame jokes anymore. I never heard him complaining how I ugly I looked with my scowl. I never heard him tease me anymore. In fact, I never get to see him more often anymore. Right after their performance at the church the other day, he never talked to me again. Just like Daddy-Long-Legs, I don’t know why and I didn’t bother asking.

Though I must admit, I’m angry at him. I was a fool to expect him to stay with me forever. That girl was right. There will come a day that everyone will leave me. Though at first I was confident enough that Kwon Jiyong won’t leave me, I was wrong. My heart wanted to believe he has reasons to act this way but my mind refused to listen to my heart. But I didn’t stay sulky. I went to Daddy-Long-Legs. At least he’s here for me. At least he never stops writing me. At least, he promised to not leave me. Though I can’t see him physically, I can feel his presence somewhere. I know he’s looking out for me. That’s why I didn’t ask him to stop writing me like I did at the beginning.

My heart is troubled though. I began worrying for Jiyong. I turned to Daddy-Long-Legs.

 

                Do you know where Kwon Jiyong is?

 

I returned after I went to the restroom. I was surprised how quick he replied.

 

                How will I know? Maybe he’s busy. I see you’re worried.

 

I replied back.

 

                I’m worried because I don’t see him anywhere anymore. Maybe he’s troubled. As you said, it’s time for me to return the favor and be a good friend to him.

 

I went to my room and waited for the bell to ring to signal the beginning of the afternoon classes. I was fidgety though. I can’t seem to focus. I wanted to stay at the locker so I will continue writing with Daddy-Long-Legs. But I know he won’t like that. He doesn’t want to show himself. So what I did was grab my bag and head to the music room. Along the way, I saw Kwon Jiyong.

“Kwon Jiyong!” I called.

But he didn’t turn to me. He hurriedly walked away. He looked like he was really busy. I dropped my shoulders and went to the lockers to take a look.

Daddy-Long-Legs replied.

 

                He will be back. I’m sure he’s just busy. Don’t worry too much.

 

But I can’t do that. I’m too worried.

I stayed at my piano the whole day. I’m not playing anything. We don’t practice here anymore that often because the performance is finished. And I think the next event will be next month or on a later date yet. So, I haven’t met with everyone.

I was randomly pressing on the keys while thinking on many things.

My Dad.

My Mom.

Youngbae.

Daddy-Long-Legs.

Jiyong.

 

 

Maybe I was too tired of thinking that I felt sleepy. I believed that the piano is sturdy enough that I climbed on top of it and slept.

Music. That’s what I heard. Piano music. Soft piano music. But it sounded too close. I tried opening my eyes but it turned out that my back was facing whoever is playing the piano. I wanted to turn towards whoever he or she is but I was too sleepy that I found myself closing my eyes again.

Minutes later, I woke up with a start. I sat up immediately and looked at the seat by the piano. Empty. There isn’t anyone, except a note.

 

                You look so beautiful while sleeping.

 

It was from Daddy-Long-Legs. It was his penmanship.

I cursed. “Why didn’t you stay?” I know I looked stupid while talking to the paper.

I sat on the seat. It still felt warm. That means he just left. I stood up and went outside. The hallway was empty. I bet the classes ended already. It was already past 5. I went back towards the piano and saw a piano sheet. On the top-most part was a title, “Give me a Smile.” The piano sheet wasn’t empty of notes but only the first five staffs were filled with notes. I bet he didn’t finish this. I put the sheet in front of me and tried to play it on the piano.

It brought a smile on my face. The music sounded so relaxing. I was so sure that this was what I heard just a while ago. Who would have thought that Daddy-Long-Legs can actually play piano and even compose a song?

As if I just got an idea, I grabbed a pen and finished what he started.

After half an hour, I finished. I felt proud of myself. I smiled at the piano sheets and tried playing the finished product. It sounded beautiful in my ears. Along with the music, I sang the lyrics that we both composed. After a while, I leaned my head on the keys with a satisfied smile. Then I suddenly felt my eyes dropping.

I shivered. It’s too cold. I ran my hand up and down my arm when I felt a cloth instead of my skin. I straightened up and saw a guy’s coat wrapped around my body. And as expected, a note was left on the keys.

 

                Tonight, it’s raining. Use my coat so you won’t be wet. Go home now.

 

I frowned. I slept on him again. I hoped I stayed awake had I known that he’s coming back. Then when I stood up, I was able to step on something soft. I looked down and saw a huge teddy bear on the foot of the chair. And another note on its lap.

 

                Since Kwon Jiyong isn’t with you and you’re alone, I’m giving you Mister Teddy to keep you company.

 

I smiled and picked Mister Teddy up. I hugged him to myself and sighed.

“I’m really alone,” I said and left.

 

The next day, I was on the cafeteria eating lunch alone on my table. Kwon Jiyong hasn’t shown himself yet. And it angers me more. To entertain myself though, I read each and every note Daddy-Long-Legs has written for me. I smiled as I was reading them. Kwon Jiyong’s right, he really did a good job on making me smile.

“Did you hear the latest?” a girl said from the next table.

“What?” the other one said.

“Kwon Jiyong’s suspended from school.”

My head automatically turned to them. Thankfully though, their backs were facing me that they won’t notice that I was eavesdropping.

“Oh, I heard that too. Accordingly, he got himself on a street fight this morning with some of our schoolmates. Though, he wasn’t alone. It was more like a gang versus another gang.”

“Yeah, and I heard one of his opponent was Youngbae.”

“Youngbae?”

“Yeah, and I think he’s taking revenge for Sandara Park who was apparently Youngbae’s ex-.”

“Oh, that’s too bad. Why would they fight over a ? I swear, Kwon Jiyong has something going on in his mind for sticking up to Sandara Park. He’s stupid I tell you. He’s gone blind.”

A can of juice went flowing from her hair when she said that.

“Who did that?” she gasped. She stood up and faced me. “!”

She went to pull out my hair but I was quick enough to pull her hair too.

“Don’t call Kwon Jiyong stupid!” I shouted as we were fighting. “Don’t call me a !”

“Why wouldn’t I?! You are a after all!”

 

Detention… I got ended up in detention that day.

But my mind isn’t worried about myself getting here. I’m more worried of Kwon Jiyong. He’s got himself into another trouble again because of me. I hate it! How can he go on protecting me like that when he can just let me suffer alone? It hurts me more seeing him in trouble like this. I felt guilty. I wanted to see him but I don’t know where he lives.

After detention, I went to the lockers before I go home.

 

                I got Kwon Jiyong into trouble again. I’m such a bad friend.

 

I went home taking the bus. Since last week, Jiyong stopped driving me home. Now I know why. Perhaps for a week, he prepared himself to fight with Youngbae. And perhaps he invited other people too. Gaaah! It frustrates me thinking about him.

Youngbae! This is your fault! I will surely see you in school!

 

The next day...

I didn’t take lunch. Instead, I looked for that jerk Youngbae. When I finally found him making out with Jina on the rooftop, I pulled him away and slapped his face.

“Hey!” Jina protested.

“Jerk!” I shouted on his face while he was still recovering from the slap he received. He faced me and returned the slap I gave him.

Okay. So that was rather unexpected. But, then again, I must be a fool for expecting he wouldn’t hurt me physically like this. He doesn’t love me anymore, does he? Or rather, he didn’t love me from the very beginning, did he? It’s just my delusional mind thinking he loved me back. That was how I was a fool for love back then.

I composed myself and faced him again. “Don’t lay a finger on my friend again.”

His brow rose in confusion. “What are you talking about?”

“Don’t lay a finger again on my friend, Kwon Jiyong,” I said, making it clear for his brainless head.

He laughed out loud. “Oh, so that stupid boy is your friend, eh? Then, let me-“

I slapped him again. Seriously, what is with all these people? I’m seriously tired of all these people calling Kwon Jiyong stupid. Do they even know him?

“YA!” Jina shouted, calling my attention, but I ignored her.

“Don’t lay another finger on him, got that? And don’t call him stupid! Or else, it’s not just a slap you’ll get. I might even break your neck!”

The two remained froze on their spots. I sneered and turned my back on them and walked away with contentment on my face. I’m pretty proud of myself, yes. Seeing them making out right in front of my eyes doesn’t hurt me anymore.  I was even able to stand up for my friend. Perhaps I shall share this to Daddy-Long-Legs.