Chapter 6

Best Friends

My eyes fluttered open as the sound of my alarm continuously rang, causing me to sigh in annoyance. I laid there for a couple minutes before I finally decided to get out of bed and get ready for another day of work. After completing my usual routine, I stepped outside of my room. I noticed how silent it was so I assumed Jay was most likely still asleep. It was then did I remember of all the happenings of yesterday. Reality.

I thought about quickly eating my breakfast in silence and then quickly leaving before Jay comes out but then I mentally scolded myself for thinking that way. Avoidance. It seems as though, we tend to resort to this option when we don't have the courage to face reality. Our minds manipulate us to think that avoiding the situation is the best option. I shook my head as I proceeded to make some breakfast. Dishing up two plates of scrambled eggs and toast, I placed it on the bench, each plate opposite each other. I took a seat on the stool.

I turned to my left as I noticed Jay appearing into the kitchen, he looked at me and I knew what he wanted. He wanted answers. But was I ready for it? Not exactly.

"Goodmorning!" I greeted, hoping to bring up the mood a little bit.

He merely nodded, clearly not planning to ignore my avoidance act from yesterday. He walked over to the kitchen bench as he sat down on the stool opposite me. He remained silent and I knew he was upset with me.

"I need to go shopping for more grocery; we only have eggs and bread left." I said, avoiding his gaze as I look down at my plate and began munching on the piece of toast. It’s funny how I still try to avoid the topic.

"It's ok, thanks," I heard him reply, his tone caused me to feel a little nervous. I stole a glance at him. We began eating in silence and the only sound was the chewing we made as we ate.

Here goes nothing, I thought. "So umm, I need to tell you something." I began, looking up at him and then noticed how he stiffened. He looked up at me and gestured for me to go on.

"Well.. I've been thinking that, maybe I need to stop depending on you so much.." I kept my gaze back at my plate. I noticed how he placed his toast down on his plate as he sat straight. I looked up and he stared at me, giving me his full attention. I gulped in nervousness and stared back down at the table again.

"Well.. I need to stop depending on you. I need to be independent. I-"

"Look at me, exactly what are you trying to say?" he interrupted, impatient. Nervously looking up to face him, I noticed how his eyebrows furrowed together as he stared back at me, signs of anger pouring in.

"I can't depend on you forever Jay. I think it's best if I move out."

"What?" he asked, as if he couldn't believe what I had said.

"I'm going to move out.."

"Why? Why all of a sudden? What is wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing is wrong Jay. I'm just trying to be independent. It's about time I look after myself. I can't depend on you my whole life. You have your own life and with me-"

"So that’s why you’ve been ignoring me? How are you depending on me? and even if you did, did I ever say you couldn't depend on me? I swore that I was going to protect you and that's what I'm going to do!"

See that was the part. Protecting me seemed too much like a duty he had to do or something like that. Something he was destined to do. But that isn’t the case. Those times when he drove me to work and even picking me up from work, not allowing me to pay for the rent of the apartment either. He had helped me so much in all these years that the list of things he had done for me went on and on. "No, you don't get it. Jay, you've done so much for me that I don't even know how I can repay you."

He glared at me, eyes showing signs of hurt, "I thought our relationship didn't concern debt with one another.”

I closed my eyes for a few seconds processing everything. "You have your own life as well Jay, I'm sure you don't want me tagging along with you."

"Who said you were 'tagging' along? Let's keep things the way it is. You'll continue living with me and that's it,” he said as his tone became louder.

He didn't get it. "I can't be selfish."

"How are you selfish?!" he snapped.

"So when you have your own family, you expect me to tag along with you?"

He finally remained silent. 

"Eventually, I'll hopefully meet the right person for me too.."

"Until then, you'll stay with me." He stood up as he made eye contact with me, "You're not going anywhere, I mean it Jane." 

He walked back into his room, leaving his half eaten breakfast. I sank into my seat as I leaned back checking the time. I still had close to an hour before work. After quickly cleaning up the house, I decided to go knock on Jay's door because he hadn't stepped out since. Just as I was about to knock, the doorbell rang. I sighed and stepped away to go open the front door. 

Jessica smiled brightly, "hello Jane!!" 

And that reality came by and I felt even worse. I felt so bad for her. Why hadn’t I even realised any of this sooner? Have I really been this selfish? Pushing those feelings away for a minute, I forced a smile and greeted her, "hi Jess!.. Jay's in his room.”

She smiled thanking me as she proceeded to walk to Jay's door and knocked a couple times. Finally hearing Jay saying, "Come in" she opened his door and stepped in closing it behind her. 

I quickly walked into my room and sat on my bed.

This isn't right, how would Jess feel? I'm stupid for only realising this now. 

 

“So you’re saying, you told him you were going to move out and he reacted oppositely?” Bom questioned me. As soon as the breakfast rush hour at Happiness settled, the 2NE1 girls immediately pulled me over to the table and sat me down as they began interrogating me.

I nodded.

“How exactly did he react?” Minzy asked.

“He.. just said he swore he’d protect me so he will continue doing so. And then he just said that I’ll continue living with him and then he just left.”

“And why do you want to move out?” CL asked, curiously.

I looked down at my hands, “I’ve been so selfish all this long.. I mean, it’s about time I stop depending on him you know.. Especially, in Jess’s point of view, even though she knows Jay and I are just best friends, I’m sure she also feels uncomfortable at times. And I just feel so bad. Isn’t it just stupid I only realised now?” I dryly laughed.

Dara patted my right shoulder as a sign of comfort.

“No matter what our opinions are on this situation, we’ve got your back a hundred percent ok? If you really want to move out, come live with us,” CL said as she gave me a supporting smile.

I shook my head about to object but Dara spoke,  “and don’t think about rejecting us. We want you to come live with us. We’re family Jane. I’m so excited!”

And the conversation was dismissed as customers started coming in again.

Thankfully, I kept myself busy and before I knew it, my shift was over. Before leaving, CL pulled me aside as she made sure I knew that no matter what, the girls would support me. I smiled gratefully and thanked all of them before I left.

There was still time so I quickly went to the grocery to stock up on food. Carrying three bags of grocery, I finally made it to the doorstep. Stopping for a moment, realising Jay’s car was parked, I unconsciously took a breath before I unlocked the door.

Placing the bags inside, I quietly closed the door. Turning around as the living room came to view, Jay and Jess were sitting on the couch side by side. Jess turned around and her face brightened upon seeing me as she quickly stood up and walked over to me. I quickly glanced at Jay and gulped as we made eye contact. He certainly was still angry at me. Jess helped me bring the bags into the kitchen.

“How was work today Jane?” Jess asked as she helped me place the contents I brought into their respective compartments in the kitchen.

“Ahh, it got really busy so that was good. How about you? How was your day?” I asked her as I placed the cabbage into the fridge.

“It was good. I went with Jay to the academy because he was only there for an hour and then we just lazed around,” she chuckled. I smiled at her.

“But, Jay seems upset for some reason.. I don’t know why,” she whispered, frowning at Jay.

I glanced at Jay and he stayed seated, headphones on as he listened to music and stared at his phone.

An hour later, dinner was ready. Jess wanted to make Jay homemade pizza and she had insisted that she needed my help because it was her first time. After both standing dumbfounded in the beginning not knowing where to start, eventually both Jess and I had succeeded. Seeing how concentrated Jess appeared, I smiled. Jay really did find the perfect person for him. Jessica is such a kind and lovely girl.

They really are meant to be.

The beeping of my phone signalled me that a new message had arrived. Unlocking my phone I saw I received a message from an unknown number.

From Unknown,

Hi Jane, how have you been? Are you free this weekend? - Daesung

Daesung and I hadn't exchange numbers yet so I was surprised that he had my number. But then it clicked because I realised Dara might have given it to him. I smiled as I saved his number and began replying to him.

"I bet you Daesung likes you Jane!" Jess said enthusiastically. I turned to her in surprise but chuckled at how excited she appeared as she jumped up and down. She started skipping towards Jay and then she tapped him on his shoulder.

Jay looked up and took his earphones off. He smiled when he saw how happy Jess was, "why are you so excited babe?"

"Because I think Jane has found her perfect match!!"