Chapter 5

Best Friends

"Jane!" CL's voice stopped me in trance. I looked up from the sink and turned around as my eyes landed on her as she stood by at the coffee machine.

"Are you ok?" she worriedly asked me.

"Oh! Yeah, I'm fine!" I hurriedly said giving her a reassuring smile as I continously nodded.

But of course CL saw through me as she looked at me in suspicion, her eyebrows raised telling me that she was't believing anything I was saying. 

She gestured that she wanted to talk to me later so I hesistantly nodded. I wasn't even sure myself, different thoughts ran through my head endlessly. 

For the rest of the night, I kept myself busy with work and luckily there were lots of customers so I had no time to let my throughts get to me. 

"Good work girls!" CL excitedly clapped as she turned the OPEN sign hanging on the entrance door around. I smiled, wipping down the tables as Minzy started putting up the chairs on the cleaned and dried tables.

 From my right I could see Dara and Bom cleaning the windows. That's when I noticed it was raining heavily outside, I sighed but felt relieved I brought an umbrella with me today. Cleaning the last table, I helped Minzy put up the remaining chairs. 

"Jane! Should I help you meet up with Daesung again?!" yelled out an enthusiastic Dara. I rolled my eyes as I looked up noticing how Minzy was giggling. "Don't tell me you're on Dara's side as well Minzy?!" I whined. She laughed as she winked at me. That's a yes.

"He's a really nice guy, so you should get to know him more," Dara persisted. 

"Yes! I agree!" Bom happily chirped. 

"He is a nice guy, I totally agree. But we're just friends." 

Sighs after sighs were given as the girls looked at me in disappointment. I smiled and tried to act cute so they would drop the topic. 

"Jane, seriously, we know your cuteness is adorable but it doesn't affect us!" CL said in a matter of face tone as she shook her head at me.

"But to Daesung, I'm sure it will!" inserted Dara. And here we go again.

We were all seated around the middle table of the cafe now. CL wanted to order in new sets of mugs and take-away materials for the store so she wanted our opinion on the sizes, shapes and designs.

"What do you girls think, should we change the colour on our mugs or-" We all turned our heads towards the door because a couple knocks were heard. We always locked the door when we closed for safetly reasons. 

I saw Jay standing outside with an umbrella over his head protecing him from the rain. The left side of his shoulder a little wet, he gestured for me to open the door.

"Jane, you can go. He's probably picking you up," CL said.

I shook my head disagreeing. I stood up and walked over to the door, unlocking it. 

"Hey Jane!" he said as he closed his umbrella, leaving it outside as he stepped in the cafe and greeted the girls.

The girls smiled and greeted him. He turned back to face me, "I'm here to pick you up."

"You didn't need to Jay. Besides we're discussing some things now. It's fine." 

"It's alright, I'll wait for you," he insisted. 

Bom noticed how uncomfortable I was, "We will drive her home Jay."

"That's alright! I'm already here so it's ok, I'll just wait," Jay smiled. He looked back at me and reassured me. I noticed how I took a step back.

I decided to go with what he wanted because it seemed like there was no way convincing him. I sat back down with the girls as CL gave me a concerned look. I shook my head and we continued with our discussion. 

"So yeah, I was thinking we stick with our original blue sky mugs but wanted everyone's opinion first."

"I personally agree, I really like the blue sky design colour and it matches perfectly with the 'Happiness' logo."

And with that, the discussion continued on for probably less than half an hour. We decided on the new cup shapes and re-stocked on other materials. As we were done and beginning to leave the cafe Jay's phone rang.

"Hey babe!" he answered. 

"Oh! I'm picking up Jane. I'll call you when I'm home!" and that was the end of the conversation. 

Reality came by once again as I realised how this couldn't be anymore. Your boyfriend driving another girl home and to make it worse, they're both going to the same home. 

I didn't noticed how the girls were closely watching my reaction the entire time. 

"Girls.. I think we need to help her.." whispered Bom.

They all knew what she was implying and nodded whispering one after another, "for sure."

The girls didn't miss how Jane's reaction changed to concern. How her eyes swiftly looked down in sorry. They knew Jane very well and they could sense how she was feeling with how she was reacting. They knew she felt bad and they probably knew the exact reason. 

The trip back home was rather quiet as I was left in thoughts again. It didn't go unnoticed by Jay though because he sensed a difference in Jane but he assumed it was because she was tired. 

Arriving home, I quickly got out and walked towards the front door to unlock it. Jay remained behind me, finding it a little more odd with the way I was acting. Getting a glass of water, I gulped it down in a hurry. I didn't even know why exactly I was acting like that but a part of me thought it was because I didn't want to face him. Jay blocked me from walking towards my room. Oh no. "Hey, what's wrong?"

I looked up, finally facing him as we made eye contact, "oh! No, nothings wrong! By the way, thanks for picking me up today.."

Attempting to walk around him but failing when he easily blocked me again.

"Why are you avoiding me, what's wrong?" he asked sternly. 

"I'm sorry, but let's discuss this tomorrow, I'm tired and you're probably tired too. It's late Jay."

Honestly, I knew by saying 'let's discuss this tomorrow' gave Jay assurance that definately something was wrong. I knew I would have to talk about it tomorrow with him and I will. I needed to set some things straight because there was no use hiding it. But just for today, let me run away from reality, I'll face it tomorrow, I promise. 

Jay wanted to know exactly what was wrong right at that moment but indeed it was late and Jane was probably really tired. He decided to let it go and definitely ask her tomorrow again. But the feeling of disappointed was felt and he didn't like how Jane was acting, how she was ignoring him like this. He simply nodded and proceeded to his room. He heard, "goodnight Jay" as he closed his bedroom door. "Goodnight Jane," he wishpered to himself and then slumped on his bed, taking out his phone as he started pressing letters.