Hiatus

When I Look At You...

Rian's manager chided her for going missing last night.

"Eodie isseosseo (Where were you)?" Eonni asked.

"Mianhande," Rian rationalized. "I was super bored, so I skipped out."

"Bored? But I thought you were tired!" the manager said. 

"Shhhh, Kang-sajangnim is here," Rian whispered.

The president got inside his office, and the two ladies bowed down low as they greeted him.

"What is it?" the president asked frankly.

Rian was used to the president's frankness and straightforwardness, and she was like that too.

"Kang-sajangnim, I would like to present my case regarding my tight schedule," Rian said, trying not to be too straightforward.

"Do you have problems with your schedule?" Kang-sajangnim asked.

"Munjeneun eobsseumnida (I do not have problems)," Rian said. "Geunde, is it all right if I ask for a break? I had been working for eight years, and the vacation I ever had since I started after graduating from Kirin was only two weeks."

Her two-week vacation happened five years after her Kirin graduation. The president mused.

"Oh, I remember that very well," the president said. "I had been advising you to take longer breaks back then, but you were too stubborn to even take them. Rian's eomeonim had been irate with me at that time for not being able to convince you."

Rian smirked at her own stubbornness. That was one thing of her that had not changed. Her manager was wiping her forehead because her talent could be bull-headed at times, just like Hwang Tae Kyung of Minami Shineyo (MS). Good thing, Kang-sajangnim was as cool and considerate (but not as crazy) as A.N. Entertainment's Ahn-sajangnim in MS.

"Geurae! I have been praying that you will take my advice," Kang-sajangnim said. "We all know that the Korean show business is harsh and some companies do not make their talents rest. I believe that a genius of a man will spark when he is at rest. Go ahead! Take a break!"

"I do not want to be forgotten by fans, either," Rian said. "So I will be taking four-months break," she said.

"Four months????" the president asked in shock. "Why! That is cheap! Why not make it half-year? You need a longer one unlike the two weeks that you had."

"Four months is fine," Rian said.

"I insist," the president said. "Make that six months. And while you are at break, you will still earn. I will consider your break as leave with pay."

"Four months is fine, really," Rian said. "Six months is such a long time."

"Rian-ah, you are looking pale and thin already," the president said. "Your eomeonim had been wishing that you take care of your health. Take six month's break."

"Johayo," Rian sighed. "I'll take the six-months leave, then."

"You have been working almost non-stop for eight years. You deserve a break," the president said. "You can do short-term classes if you want, just make use of your time. But do not accept media appearances. If you go vacationing in the province, singing on stage for fun is fine."

"Gamsahamnida," Rian said. "I will start my vacation after my last appointment is done."

After much bargaining, they settled to a hiatus of six months. Rian's manager was very much relieved that the president got the upper hand of the conversation by suggesting half a year break.

When they went out of the office, Rian frowned.

"I still have one appointment for a CF, and after the shooting of the horror film, I will go on break," she said. "But six months is too long!"

"No, it is just right," her manager said. "I think I will really take that one if I were in your shoes."

Rian shot a hot glare at her manager.

 

~~~~~