11

Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

--

 

11

 

--

 

The rainy season came, and you often found yourself stuck inside with nothing to do but clean the house. You spotted the kids playing outside in the rain, but you knew if you tried that, you would get sick. Your immune system wasn’t what it used to be.

 

On the rare days it didn’t rain, you took advantage of it and went out to the pond with the kids or the upstream to catch fish. With the rains, leaks were being discovered in all parts of the town, keeping all the men busy. You took advantage of this too, to go to the upstream by yourself.

 

‘You have an insatiable appetite, little bear,’ the large grizzly chuckled. The rains made the fish practically leap out of the water, and all you had to do was catch them.

 

‘It’s not just for me. I make food for the werewolves, too. They took me in and took care of me, so it was the least I could do.’

 

The bear was silent for a moment. You continued fishing until your basket was full to the brim.

 

‘That one wolf man that comes here with you often. What is his name?’

 

You sat down and thought for a moment. ‘You mean Howon?’

 

‘If that is what they call him. He is the reason I am missing an eye. But at the same time, I cannot begrudge him.’

 

You looked up in surprise, eyes falling on the bear’s scarred eye. ‘He did that to you?’

 

‘I wandered too close to your town. A mistake I will not make again.’

 

You frowned. It would be like Howon to attack first and ask questions later. He was like that with you, but you were much luckier than the bear. ‘I wouldn’t blame you if you held a grudge against him,’ you said darkly. Howon took to avoiding you again, and for some inexplicable reason, it was annoying you.

 

‘Make no mistake, Howon cares for you. I could see it, even from far away with one eye. Perhaps he does not understand his feelings for you. You are the same way, but I cannot hold a grudge. A few years ago, there was a rock slide. My cub got trapped in the rocks.’ You gasped as the bear turned to look towards the mountains. ‘The wolf men heard him crying and tried to save him, especially that Howon. They dug for days, but alas, it was too late to save my cub.’

 

‘I’m so sorry,’ you said, reaching out to nudge her with your nose.

 

‘My cub has returned to Mother Earth’s care. I hold no grudge. I keep my distance, and they do not bother me.’ You could hear sadness in her voice, and in turn, you became sad. You didn’t even realize you were crying until she nudged you. ‘Do not cry for me, little bear. Your company is enjoyable because you are happy. But you best return to the town. A storm is coming.’

 

You glanced up towards the sky and saw it darkening. You changed back into a human and grabbed your basket, hurrying towards the town. The bear sat on the bank and watched you until you disappeared.

 

--

 

“I saw you at the upstream.” You looked up from the book Sunggyu lent you about pastries to see Howon frowning at you.

 

“I go there when it’s not raining. What a surprise,” you said, rolling your eyes.

 

“I saw you with the bear.”

 

That got your attention. You closed your book and stared up at Howon. “And? She’s not dangerous.”

 

“She is a bear. One that is four times your size and could tear you apart in two seconds! What were you thinking?!”

 

“She’s not dangerous! She taught me how to fish and-“

 

“Oh, you can talk to bears now?”

 

You narrowed your eyes at him. The other pack members stuck their head into the living room curiously but slowly backed away when you stood up, anger apparent in your eyes.

 

“Yes. I can talk to bears. It comes with being able to turn into one. She told me about how you were the one that ruined her eye,” you said, jabbing your finger into Howon’s chest. He let out an angry sigh.

 

“I don’t want you going up there alone. From now on, either you go with me, or you don’t go at all,” he growled.

 

You shook your head in disbelief. “I don’t need a babysitter. I can take care of myself.”

 

“Yeah? You can take care of yourself? Then why don’t you just leave? Take care of yourself somewhere else!” Immediately, Howon regretted his words when he saw your face fall then harden into anger.

 

“You know what? Just forget it. I know you never liked me. I know you can’t stand me. I can’t believe I even let myself… Nevermind.”

 

You whirled out of the living room, pulling open the front door and slamming it shut behind you. Howon roared angrily and turned to punch the nearest wall, leaving a hole behind.

 

Dongwoo and Woohyun looked at each other, unsure of what to do until Sunggyu walked into the room, eyebrows furrowed. “You are so stupid.”

 

“Whatever. She can do whatever she wants. I don’t care anymore. If she wants to go hanging out with bears, then let her!”

 

“That’s not what I meant. She just left the house. Don’t tell me you’re too mad to realize there’s a gigantic storm blowing in. There’s a reason she never goes out in the rain.”

 

Through his angry haze, he recalled a conversation with you about the rain.

 

”Why is it that you never go out in the rain? It’s just water.”

 

“I can’t. I’m not strong enough to withstand the cold yet. The doctors said I would probably get sick, and if it gets bad enough, I could die. Call it a product of traveling in rags in the winter.”

 

His eyes widened as his anger dissipated. He was out of the door to chase you faster than Sunggyu could react.

 

“Will he find her before the storm?” Dongwoo asked Sunggyu cautiously.

 

“He has to. The rest of us have to help lock down the town. This storm is no joke.”

 

--

 

Howon ran as fast as he could after your scent. A

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter