01

Shift
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

--

01

 

--

 

An alarm went up in town as everyone scrambled to return to their homes. Sunggyu and his men bounded down the mountain at top speed, stopping in the still town to transform back into their human forms.

 

“I smell blood.” Howon had a grave expression on his face as he sniffed the wind.

 

“Check to see if anyone’s been injured,” Sunggyu said, sending his Beta, Dongwoo, and the other Enforcer, Woohyun, to check the houses and stores. They called Sungyeol to go with them to check faster, splitting up in different directions.

 

Sunggyu, Dongwoo, and Sungjong looked around carefully for any signs of ambush. “It’s coming from this way,” Sungjong said, pointing towards the square. He moved in that direction, closing his eyes and following his nose.

 

“Sungjong, stop. We don’t know what it is-“ Howon’s words were cut off by Sungjong shaking his head.

 

“It’s not human. It’s not a werewolf. It’s not a vampire. I think I can handle anything else.” Sungjong ran past the square and towards the edge of town. The others followed him and stopped dead in their tracks when they saw you.

 

You were collapsed at the edge of the town, covered with blood. Your clothes were torn, you were dirty, and Sungjong could spot multiple injuries all over your body. Then he spotted something metal protruding from your arm. From it, he could see a few rusted chain links. He gasped and ran towards you, only to be pulled back with a growl by Howon.

 

He dashed forward and examined your body, sniffing and frowning. “She’s dead.”

 

“How do you know that? You haven’t even touched her!” Sungjong yelled. Howon was getting impatient.

 

“I don’t need to touch her to know if she’s dead or dying.”

 

“If she’s dying, then there’s a chance we can still save her!”

 

“Keep your voices down,” Sunggyu said, face serious. “We don’t need to announce to the whole town what’s happening. At least, not yet.”

 

Your eyes opened slowly, and you struggled to keep them open. Howon snarled at you and took a few steps back, glaring. Sungjong saw your light green eyes widen slightly with fear before you closed them again. Then, he saw the unmistakable glimmer of tears on your face, and he couldn’t stand it anymore.

 

He rushed to your side and fell to his knees, brushing your matted hair out of your face. “Hello? Are you okay? Can you speak?” You tried to move away from him, but there was no strength left in your body.

 

“Sunggyu, look. She’s scared, she dying, she can’t even move. We can’t just leave her here like this.”

 

“I’ll move her, and she can die in peace. She reeks of vampire.”

 

“But it’s not her smell, and you know that,” Sungjong snapped at Howon before turning back to Sunggyu. “Sunggyu, please.” The Alpha regarded his Enforcer for a moment before glancing at Sungjong your cheek comfortingly. Then his eyes fell on you trembling on the ground, and he sighed.

 

“Take her to the clinic.”

 

Sungjong scooped her up and ran for the clinic before Sunggyu could change his mind. Howon scowled, clearly unhappy with his Alpha’s choice, but he said nothing. “I hope you know what you’re doing. It’ll be your fault if she turns out to be someone sent to wipe out the rest of the pack.”

 

“I’m sorry that happened to you once before. But you can’t let that rule your judgments for the rest of your life.”

 

--

 

You woke up warm for the first time in ages. Your muscles and body protested when you tried to move, but it was then you realized you were lying on something soft.

 

I’ve died and gone to Heaven, haven’t I? you thought to yourself. Please, if this is Heaven, let me open my eyes and see my family.

 

You struggled to open your eyes, and when you finally managed to get them open, you blinked a few times to clear your vision.

 

“Hey, you’re awake. How do you feel?”

 

Your eyes moved towards the speaker, seeing the boy from earlier standing next to the bed you were in with a smile on his face. Behind him was the man that looked at you darkly, like you didn’t belong there. You could understand. You didn’t belong anywhere anymore.

 

You closed your eyes again and let out

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter