One

When the rain ends: I can smile again

Hope is like an umbrella that I forgot to carry in a heavy storm; this storm that is the inner turmoils of my being, my soul and my heart. It is nothing more than combinations and blends which produce bitter and sour tastes that burn my inner mouth and my heart and leave a trace of its presence.

 

This is my life right now. And I can’t do anything.

“Hello? EunIn are you there?” I blinked; I had no idea she had been talking to me. My step mum was waiting for an answer. She had food in her hand; it must have been to do with dessert.


“Huh what?” She let out a sigh.

 

“Honestly EunIn,” she began, “I don’t know what’s wrong with you these days. Your behaviour is so different from when you use to be. You’re rude nowadays and I can’t take much more of it.”

Neither can I, I thought in my head. I’m sick and tired of life itself. This hellhole, this madness of a place that is meant to be a home; how long am I to rot before there are not even the ashes of my ashes left?

 

“I will go to SooTae then,” SooTae my sister. The one person who would never understand what it feels like to be inadequate; she has so much going for her. She is tall, skinny, lightly tanned, her eyes are larger than mine and her hair is thick and luscious. To make it more of a burden to be me she is even smart and good at sports; soccer mainly.

 

What did that make me? I was the average member of the house. The person who enjoyed things that didn’t need interactions with other human beings; reading and drawing were those hobbies. I had nothing when it came to academics.

 

My appearance is not something I’m even fond of. I’m short, five foot six to be exact. My hair is long but wiry and breaks easily. Plus my dry scalp which chooses to flake at random, making it embarrassing and a hassle for me who doesn’t wear hats. Oh yeah and did I mention I may be chubby? The fat has to sit somewhere and I’m not fond of exercise. Work at my average part time job is my exercise normally.

 

“Hell,” I muttered as she left. I didn’t want cake; it would probably taste like rocks the moment it cuddled with my taste buds. I would find something else to eat, and I would eat a lot of it just to show that I don’t care.


That they don’t own me.


***

So I didn’t get that dessert after all. I lost my nerve the moment I entered the kitchen. My dad and my step mum were there. My dad is another source of my troubles. Him and his unappreciative, unapprovingly ways to me and to the other members of my families; to put it short we aren’t good enough for him.


These people are me, my sister when she misbehaves which is frequent and my step brother’s; my oppa An-Jae and second oldest dongsaeng Jung-Bae. Only my step mum and the youngest member of our family Ji-Son pass as decent members of society at least.

 

I went online as I normally did. Going and seeing comments, friend requests and emails on my writing account always gave me a sense of acceptance. It didn’t make up for the lack at home but it was better than nothing.

 

There wasn’t really anything new. The three digit number for my subscribers was still at a hundred and forty one. But there was one message. I clicked on the link and found a conversation I’d been having with my friend. The one who I went to school with but now lives in Seoul.

 

‘Hey Eunnie, guess what? My parents say you may visit if you would like. It would only be for a week and a half as you would be helping me house-sit while they go to Jeju Island. I have to let her know by tomorrow though. Would that work? :D

 

Can’t wait and God bless xxx

 

Minah’

 

I gave a smile. She had always called me Eunnie; it reminded her of one of my favourite kpop stars whose nickname was similar to mine. I liked and admired most of the stars in the kpop world but he was one that always stood out to me. To meet him would be a dream or maybe a prayer answered.

 

I thought for a moment. My family wouldn’t care, not if it’s only for a week and a half. But still I knew they would freak if I didn’t at least leave them a way to contact me.

 

Min I can come! I will have to let work know but I’m sure they will survive.

 

Thanks for this

 

EunIn xxx’

 

With that I sent it and leaned back in my chair. Now all I had to do was tell work when I got in tomorrow.

******************************************************************************

Such a shoooort chapter >_> So this will be different from the things I normally write. Mainly because for once there won’t be any romance (though I may change my mind…) it’s a competition entry for TiaraL’s when the rain ends. The link’s in the foreword. Thanks for reading ^_^.