First Warning

Protection From An Angel

 

Protection From An Angel

 

[Chapter 2]

 

Jonghun and Minhwan were cleaning the dishes after dinner that night. After their spectacular dinner prepared by mainly Jonghun, both the boys spent their time talking and chit-chatting like how they always do. “Hey, Minhwan,” Jonghun interrupted the younger boy’s thoughts.

 

“Yes, hyung?”

 

“I’ve officially registered the both of us in the upcoming talent competition. The school authorities approved our application to join today.”

 

“Really?” Minhwan yelped, excited. “That’s great! I think my drum skills aren’t that bad, but I’ll have to improve on my vocals.”

 

“Right, mine too,” Jonghun scratched his head, “I prefer guitar though, rather than singing.”

 

“But hyung,” Minhwan crawled on the sofa, moving towards Jonghun, “I really like your voice when you sing. Of course, nothing beats your guitar skills.” The drummer boy smiled.

 

“If we are successful in this competition, then Minhwan,” Jonghun turned to the other boy excitedly, “let’s set up a band!”

 

“We’ll get a bassist!” Minhwan suggested, “And maybe a vocalist! Then you don’t have to sing!”

 

“Hahaha right,” Jonghun added, “We might take in one or two guitarist as well!”

 

“Yay hyung!” The boy cheered. “I’m sure our dreams will come true!”

 

Jonghun laughed, “I don’t know about that. But what I’m sure about now is that it’s time for us to sleep and your eyes are still wide open!” The elder boy tickled the other.

 

“Hyung!”

 

Jonghun ignored Minhwan’s plead.

 

“Hyung, p-please stop!” Minhwan laughed and rolled around the sofa till he fell to the floor, pulling Jonghun together with him. Jonghun accidentally landed on top of Minhwan. He lifted his head and his eyes stared directly into Minhwan’s face. The poor boy was still laughing exhaustedly due to the tickle. When Minhwan slowed down on his breathing, Jonghun looked away immediately. He stood up and offered Minhwan a hand. “Here.”

 

Minhwan reached for his hand and stood up as well, “Thanks, hyung.”

 

“Alright,” Jonghun said, “Go rest. Good night.” He waited for Minhwan’s ‘good night’ before turning towards his room. On the way, his hands touched his chest unconsciously. My heartbeats seemed to increase when I was looking directly at Minhwan just now. What is happening?

 

Meanwhile, Minhwan reflected back what happened between him and his senior earlier in his room. He felt his face getting heated up. Ugh! He hit his bed. I feel weird. I think I’m really sick, or at least having some weird disease. He grumbled and pulled his blanket over his head, wishing his heart would stop beating so fast so that he could enjoy at least a peaceful sleep.


 

The next day, Minhwan was walking home from school alone since Jonghun needed to do some revision in school. Somehow, he felt the lost of warmness when Jonghun wasn’t walking together with him. When he was lost in his own thoughts, a group of students appeared and surrounded the boy. “You’re…” The tallest one spoke as he neared Minhwan’s face, “Choi Minhwan, right? That’s brat’s loveable pet?”

 

“T-That brat?” Minhwan stuttered. Judging by the badge they were wearing, Minhwan knew that these students were a year older than him. He assumed that this tall guy’s the leader of this gangsterous group.

 

“Choi Jonghun, that annoying jerk. Fool.” One of the students harshly replied.

 

“Don’t address hyung like that!” Minhwan snapped back instantly. As an answer, Minhwan received a punched directly on his stomach. He winced in pain, his hands covering the spot, protecting it from being hit again.

 

“Tell that brat to pull out from this competition. With him around there’s no way I’ll be able to show my guitar skills to the public. He’ll just be a distraction. If he doesn’t…” the leader grabbed Minhwan by his collar, “you’ll know what I’ll do to you.” That said and the group left Minhwan kneeling on the floor, his stomach still hurt from the abuse. His eyes trailed to where the group of gangsters left and gathered all his energy and walked home determinedly, his mind filled with the threats earlier.

 

When Jonghun came back after a few hours, he found Minhwan sitting on the sofa, lost in his own thoughts. He decided to disturb his lost friend. “Hey, chicken boy!” He pounced onto the sofa, sitting next to Minhwan, “What keeps you thinking so deeply?”

 

Minhwan came back to reality and tried to act normal when he realized Jonghun was sitting by his side. “Hey, hyung. I was just thinking of how to improvise my drum skills.”

 

Jonghun ruffled the drummer’s hair. “Don’t just focus on your drums, remember that you’ll have to sing as well.” Jonghun paused for a second before he continued, “Actually I wanted to ask Hongki from my next door class to join us, but it seems that he wants to do it solo. So I guess it’s just you and me!” He tapped Minhwan’s shoulder, “Let’s go practice after some snacks.”

 

Minhwan looked at Jonghun’s enthusiastic expressions. I can’t let Jonghun-hyung down. He forced a smile. “Alright! I’ll get us ice-creams from the fridge while you wait here.” Minhwan stood from his seat and went to the kitchen.

 

Jonghun smiled and nodded. He looked at Minhwan’s back as he disappeared into the kitchen. What exactly… he thought …is wrong with Minhwan today? He seems very… quiet.

 

Minhwan chose the ice-creams, but instead of heading out to Jonghun, he stood there in front of the fridge, thinking. I cannot tell hyung about what happened today. He’ll be worried about me. What if he decides to quit the competition? Minhwan shook his head frantically. No! This is our dream. And I’ll protect it. He put on a smile and headed to Jonghun, acting as if nothing had happened that afternoon.


 

TBC

 

A/N: Happy New Year! :D