The Competition and Confession

Protection From An Angel

 

* Lets assume the competition’s being held in the early evening. (:

 

Protection From An Angel

 

[Chapter 6]

 

A month had passed since Minhwan was bullied by the group of students. No one disturbed the boy ever since. Minhwan said enthusiasticly, “It’s today!”

 

Jonghun returned Minhwan’s smile and responded, “Yeah, we’ll do our best later for the competition,” Jonghun added, “If we win then I’ll buy you a meal.”

 

“Deal!” Minhwan said gleefully.

 

When Jonghun and Minhwan reached the competition spot in school, many had arrived earlier than the both of them. The hall was already half filled with audience chatting excitedly.

 

“Yo, Jonghun,” someone called from behind. Jonghun and Minhwan turned.

 

“Hey, Hongki,” Jonghun greeted his friend.

 

“All the best to you guys later,” Hongki said, “I know I won’t be disappointed. Hwaiting~!”

 

“Same to you,” Jonghun smiled and repeated, “All the best.”

 

Minhwan gave a last smile and Hongki left the both of them.

 

Jonghun and Minhwan were the third group to perform. Before they started, Jonghun turned to his back and winked, “Let’s do our best.”

 

“Yeah,” Minhwan answered, and resumed adjusting the screws of the hi-hat cymbals and the position of his drums. Jonghun played a few notes to warm up his fingers.

 

Their performance went well, leaving both the contestants with no regret. The results were announced at the end of the performances from all the contestants. Jonghun and Minhwan were named second place. The champion was no other than Lee Hongki.

 

“Well, that’s that,” Jonghun said, “second place.” He smiled.

 

“You were great,” Minhwan praised.

 

“Look who’s talking,” Jonghun teased. He saw Hongki walking along the audience seat with his friends. “Hey Hongki,” he called out, “Congrats!”

 

Hongki waved and replied, “Thank you! You guys were awesome!”

 

Jonghun and Minhwan accepted the compliment and smiled. Jonghun turned to Minhwan, “Let’s go for dinner,” he said, “my bill.”

 

Minhwan suggested, “Let’s buy the stuffs and cook at home. I feel like celebrating it and going to sleep straightaway. I’m practically worn out today.”

 

“You lazy chicken boy,” Jonghun said.

 

They bought whatever materials they needed for dinner and no doubt Jonghun managed to prepare a spectacular one.

 

“Hyung,” Minhwan said, out of the blue, “don’t you think Hongki-hyung has an angelic voice? When he sang today my heart was totally captured. He had such a mesmerizing voice.”

 

Jonghun had to admit that Hongki did have one hell of a voice, but he didn’t like it when Minhwan said his heart was captured.

 

“Yeah, he does.” Jonghun tried changing the topic, “How was dinner today? Are my skills rusted yet?”

 

Minhwan started talking about how great the marinated chicken was and that Jonghun’s soup was one of the best he had ever tasted so far. Jonghun secretly felt happy when his dishes where praised by his friend.

 

There was an awkward silence before Minhwan started speaking again. “Hyung, there’s something I need to tell you.”

 

Jonghun felt uneasy with Minhwan’s sudden serious tone. “Yeah?”

 

“You have been a really nice hyung to me since childhood,” Minhwan continued, “and I really appreciate that.”

 

Jonghun looked at Minhwan, puzzled. Why is he saying all these all of the sudden?

 

Minhwan took the bottle of sake and drank a few gulps. As he felt a little light headed, he felt his confidence increased as well. “I don’t know what I will be without you.”

 

Jonghun grabbed the bottle of sake from his friend. “You’re talking some weird stuff. Maybe you drank too much already.” He looked at the bottle, half gone.

 

Jonghun left the bottle on the table and pulled Minhwan from the sofa, “I’ll bring you back to your room.”

 

“No,” Minhwan tried pulling away from Jonghun. He stumbled on the sofa as his legs were unsteady. Before Jonghun could interrupt, Minhwan continued, “I need to tell you this…” Minhwan shook his head, trying to clear it, “You might hate me for saying this, but I, I still have to tell you.”

 

Minhwan stood up slowly and looked at Jonghun directly at his eyes. “Hyung, I think I- I think, I’m love with you.”

 

Jonghun was speechless.

 

Minhwan thought he couldn’t hear it and repeated, “I think I love you. My heart has been racing whenever I see you. At first I thought I was sick, but then I realized my heart was beating because you were around. I like hyung from a long time ago.”

 

When Jonghun remained silent, Minhwan was quite sure that Jonghun will reject him. He forced a smile and muttered a ‘sorry’ before walking to his room as soon as he can to hide his embarrassment. After all that was the first time he confessed to someone, but was outright rejected. Jonghun caught him with surprise by hugging Minhwan to his chest from the back.

 

“I’m happy,” Jonghun said sincerely, “I’m happy you felt that way, Minhwan. I thought I was the only one.”

 

Minhwan’s eyes widen twice its size. Hyung felt that way too?

 

Jonghun turned him around and faced Minhwan. His eyes caught Minhwan’s innocent ones. “I’ve fallen for you without me noticing it, but I wasn’t brave enough to say a word to you,” his index finger touched Minhwan’s lower lips lightly, “May I?”

 

Minhwan flushed a light shade of pink and Jonghun assumed that his answer was a ‘yes’. He lowered slightly and his lips touched Minhwan’s in a chaste kiss. “I love you too,” Jonghun mumbled, his breathe ghosting on his partner’s lips.

 

That night, the two lovers spent their time together snuggling on Jonghun’s bed. Jonghun and Minhwan both fell asleep with a smile playing on their lips; they had never felt as contented as they were right now.

 

And that was the start of a new blossoming love.


 

The End

 

A/N: Finally, last chapter done. Thanks for reading~! <3 I had fun writing this, I hope you guys had fun reading too.. (: Though I don't know if the last chapter is up to your liking/expectation.. 

 

Thanks again..! Love you~ ^^