The Sixth Day of Christmas: An Awkward Invitation

Twelve Days of Christmas

Geun Young’s POV

“Hello?” I half-mumbled sleepily into the phone.

“Hello… Er… Are you still asleep?” A familiar voice at the other end of the phone asked in an apologetic manner.

Almost immediately, I sprung up into a sitting position and was instantly fully awake and alert. Self-consciously, I covered the mouthpiece and cleared my throat while trying to get rid of the lazy-morning-voice.

“No, of course not… er… my throat just feels... um…  a little funny that’s all,” I managed the awkward reply as I sneaked a peek at the alarm clock next to me. It is already 11 in the morning. Considering the fact that I have a habit of waking up early in the morning, I must have really slept in today.

“Oh, are you feeling all right then? Do you need to go to the doctor?” The cause of my insomnia questioned in a voice full of concern and I felt my heart skipped a beat. Even I myself am amazed at how simply hearing his voice can still have an effect on me today.

“Oh no I think I’ll be fine in a bit,” I replied as awkwardly as before.

“Well then, um…” The voice started hesitantly before asking, “I was wondering, would you like to say, join me for lunch today? We could um- walk around a bit after that too…”

“Huh?” I uttered instinctively in disbelief at what I just heard. Did Kim Bum just ask me out? That Kim Bum? The one that I met yesterday? The one that I was trying so hard to get the attention of in high school?

“I mean um- if you are free that is,” Kim Bum started sounding a little uncertain. It was a side I have never seen of him. Then again, I barely knew him in high school. With the number of girls surrounding him, even having the chance to speak to him was difficult then. His uncertainty caught me by surprise but it was nevertheless cute.

“I am free,” I said a little too enthusiastically that I felt a hot rush up my cheeks and ears.

“Oh that’s good to hear,” He uttered, sounding a lot happier than a few seconds ago. “Should I pick you up in an hour then?”

“Yep that sounds great,” I answered while grinning to myself.

Jeremy’s POV

“Thank you,” I bowed gratefully as I received my day’s pay from the owner of the shop.

“So you’ll at least come back to help me on Sunday right?” The owner asked again.

“Yep I will. Thanks so much for letting me take two days off,” I thanked him again while grinning from ear to ear.

“I am only making an exception because you have been such a great help lately,” He added before giving me a pat on the back. “Well, have fun then! I have to go back to work now.”

“Thanks and see you on Sunday!”

With that, I left the shop with a tremendous sense of self-satisfaction as I excitedly looked around for the familiar face. Upon realizing that she is not around, I felt a strange feeling in my chest and my stomach started to get queasy. Did that silly girl get herself in trouble? That uncomfortable thought made me quickened my pace and soon I found myself face-to-face with that girl.

Geun Young’s POV

My jaw muscles were hurting from the excessive amount of smiling I have done today as I stared down the road that Kim Bum drove down. He has already disappeared at the turning down the road but I still cannot seem to be able to snap out of the daze. Suddenly, I felt someone grabbed my arms and spun me around.

“Are you all right?” The distinctive voice asked.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” I stared at him, wide-eyed and puzzled, while grabbing his arms to regain my balance.

“Well… I just thought- you weren’t- uh… where did you go today?” Jeremy stuttered.

“Well… I uh- I was out with a friend,” I half-stammered in reply.

“What friend?”

“Uh…” I could feel my cheeks turn a slight shade of pink before I managed to utter defensively, “Well, I’m not obliged to report to you, am I?”

“Huh? I uh- you-“, Jeremy stuttered more than ever with flushed cheeks. It is kind of weird because it seems like he was getting a little angry. “Aishh… Is this how you treat a friend who bought a gift for you?” He blurted in frustration.

“You bought me a gift?”

“Well not yet…“ He uttered and started fidgeting a little. I raised an eyebrow and scrutinized his abnormal composure.

“Do you wanna go Disneyland tomorrow?” He finally blurted out.

“Huh?”

I watched his cheeks flushed a deeper red and I had to bite back my lower lip to prevent breaking into a laugh that might upset him more.

“You just needed someone to accompany you right?” I smirked.

"..." He started opening and closing his mouth from time to time and yet nothing audible came out of it.

“Sure kiddo,” I let out a small laugh before tiptoeing to ruffle his hair. He must really have been caught off-guard that he did not even attempt to dodge. That is another point for Geun Young. For a split second, I felt slightly embarrassed for having caught his immature virus though at the same time, I could not help smiling at the awkwardness I have caused him. I was secretly guilty of the "Jeremy-syndrome".

“You really should come in soon if you do not want to catch a cold,” I added teasingly before stepping into the house to prepare dinner. It might seem a little weird to say this but I actually excused myself earlier from dinner with Kim Bum because I was afraid that this kid would be silly (and stupid) enough to wait for me. I did not exactly inform him beforehand that I would be out today after all and weirdly, he does not seem to have a phone. Given that he seems so inadequately socialized, I could not help worrying today.

Now that I come to think of it though, I really should have chosen dinner with Kim Bum over him , shouldn’t I? That thought was killing me. Did I really just give up more time with a cute and gorgeous guy for this kiddo? Seriously? I was caught in immense self-pity when a familiar voice broke my train of thought.

“What kiddo? I am a mature man! I’ll have you know that I just paid for this bag of snacks with my hard-earned money today!”

“Do you even hear yourself, kiddo?” I laughed aloud.

“Stop calling me that!”

With that I broke into a loop of tummy-hurting laughter and so, as usual, the bickering continues.

 

-----

Sorry for the late update! Caught up with school and all. :( Hope you enjoyed it though!
Please comment/subscribe. Thanks loads! <333