Light 03

299 792 458 m/s

A few points to note:

Taeyeon and Sunny are not in love... yet. What they have here is rather unique... especially considering how they met.

Sunny is not really a student. She's an agent so she has sources to forge documents. Later updates will reveal how Sunny tracked Taeyeon down.

I've never written action scenes before so I hope it doesn't completely >.<

Let me know what you think of it ok? :)




Light 03


“You knew?!”

Sunny nodded her head nonchalantly.

“Wow… I couldn’t tell at all…”

Sunny laughed.

“I didn’t recognize you up on the roof. It wasn’t till the next day that I had another look at the card you gave me. Well… firstly… your name is a dead giveaway. Secondly, you appeared on national television before so I would know who you are.”

“Then why did you act like you didn’t know?”

“I didn’t. I was just being my usual self, or do you want me to act all weird around you? That way you can be sure that I know who you are.”

“You’re right… please don’t act all weird on me… I enjoyed talking to you all this time because you make me feel like l’m just another girl.”

“And I’m enjoying myself just by talking to you. There’s hardly anyone I can talk to like that these days.”

“Friends?”

“Next to none.”

“Family?”

Sunny paused.

“Sensitive topic for you?”

Sunny shook her head.

“No longer… they died long ago.”

Taeyeon gasped audibly and sat up straight. It didn’t feel right to be rolling around in the grass at that moment. She looked at Sunny’s impassive face and hugged her tight.

They sat on the grass, hugging for a long time. Both girls found their own source of comfort in the embrace.

Moments later, Sunny broke the silence.

“You’re good. You still haven’t told me why you were up there.”

“I wasn’t trying to dodge it!” laughed Taeyeon.

“It’s just a place I sneak out to when it gets too stressful staying at him. My Dad can get quite impossible at times.”

“So what happened at home that night?”

“You know… the usual… quarrelsome parents.”

“I don’t know, actually… but I can imagine it must be really unpleasant.”

“It is.” Taeyeon mumbled as she nestled her face in the nook of Sunny’s neck.

“Next question.”

“Fire away.”

“Why did you kiss me?”

Taeyeon pulled away from Sunny rapidly, blinking in surprise at the direct question.

Sunny laughed. “I’m just too y for you aren’t I?” she said jokingly.

Taeyeon’s eyes lowered a fraction before she nodded and said, “Yeah, you were so y that night. Your lips were in my face!”

“That’s because you pulled me onto you.”

“Guess it’s my own fault then.”

“Nah, it’s quite alright. I liked it too. In fact, I think that’s what changed my mind. You gave me a reason to live. I couldn’t quite kill myself after that because I wanted more.”

Taeyeon cocked an eyebrow.

“You… want… more…?”

Sunny grinned and nodded her head, inching closer to Taeyeon as the seconds ticked by.

Taeyeon chuckled. Sunny smiled.

They locked lips as the setting sun shone rays that filtered through the clouds and casted a warm orange glow on the things below.


+++


Moments later, the two girls finally broke their long, passionate kiss that rendered them weak in the knees (fortunately they were seated on the grass!). They leaned on each other’s forehead as they gasped for air. Then they collapsed onto the grass, side by side, still panting. Their hands found each other and intertwined naturally. Neither girl wanted to make any comment on what transpired between them. Both were content to leave it as that, bringing it no further than what it was.

Taeyeon looked at her watch and gasped.

“I’m late!”

“For?”

“Dinner!”

Taeyeon panicked and stood up abruptly, brushing her jeans clean of grass.

“I can send you home in a jiffy.”

“I’ve got a car waiting for me…” Taeyeon looked at Sunny apologetically.

“Ah yes, I forgot who you were for a minute… didn’t think that people like you could kiss like that.” Sunny grinned cheekily.

Taeyeon bent down and smacked Sunny’s arm playfully. “Ya! You better watch what you say Sunny Lee… or I’ll blow your mind with my kisses the next time.”

“You already did.” Sunny grinned even wider.

Taeyeon chuckled.

“Will I see you tomorrow?”

“That depends.”

“On?”

“Who I feel like kissing.”

“Then I’ll see you tomorrow. I’ve got an economics lecture at 2. Lecture Theatre 6.”

“My, my, someone’s really confident about this.”

Taeyeon chuckled. Sunny smiled.


+++


“What are we going to do now?” asked the older girl.

“What do you mean?”

“You know that agents aren’t supposed to be in a relationship with each other don’t you?”

Tiffany laughed airily.

“That didn’t stop you from dropping hints on me.”

“We’re still training but what happens to us when we become agents out in the field?”

“We’ll take it one step at a time, Jessi.”

Jessica couldn’t help smiling when Tiffany called her by that little nickname. Tiffany noticed that she liked it so she called her Jessi all the time now.

“Well… we got to be careful. We can’t get caught on camera.”

“In that case… I think the shower is the safest place.”

“What?”

“No cameras Jessi.”

Jessica’s mouth formed a big O and she nodded.


+++


The training was grueling but they took it all in, knowing that they would emerge from the course, a better and fitter agent who would possess much keener skills than they already did. They were the chosen few. Many dropped out from the selection in earlier stages as they were subjected to stringent tests in terms of health and fitness and then skills and techniques. Many officers entered the course thinking that they had possessed the natural abilities required for the job but they were proven wrong. They learnt that every aspect of an agent could be trained although natural ability would give them an advantage in that aspect.

Jessica’s strongest natural ability was her marksmanship. Her sense of aim was uncanny. She hardly had to aim to shoot. It was effortless for her, whereas Tiffany had to train for that. She entered the course with an above average shoot accuracy of 9 but thanks to Jessica’s constant challenges, her average had risen to 9.5 and she aimed much faster than before as well.

Tiffany’s natural ability shone when they were out in the field. Her ultra-keen senses enabled her observations to be highly perceptive and detailed. This skill was also nurtured during the course but Tiffany had shared a few tips with Jessica on that as well.

They all helped each other and bonded during the course. That’s was the objective of the entire course. The job that they would be doing required an immense amount of teamwork and trust in team mates. Any lapse in the trust or co-operation could prove to be fatal to team members, in particular, those out in the field.


+++


The two girls walked towards the showers with their duffel bags, laughing merrily with each other. Upon entering the place, they were pleased to note that it was completely deserted. The perks of having the showers all to themselves was what kept them training extra-long hours at the shooting range and fitness corner.

“At this rate, I’m going to turn into a hulk very soon.” Jessica said with a laugh.

“And I’m going to take over your top ranking in marksmanship.” Tiffany joked along.

Jessica laughed and sat on the bench. Tiffany stood in front of her. She placed her hands on the bench at either side of Jessica’s waist and kissed her slowly and sensually. Jessica’s goose pimples rose all over her arms and back, a sign of her heighten state of arousal.

Tiffany grinned and whispered seductively in Jessica’s ear. “Let’s share a cubicle.”

“What?” squeaked Jessica, blushing instantly.

Tiffany dragged Jessica into a cubicle with her, ignoring all the protests that the older girl was making. She fastened the bolt and turned around with a devilish grin.

“Isn’t this what you wanted? Every time you followed me in here, looking at me with those shifty eyes… you freaked me out you know? But now… I know what those shifty eyes meant.” Tiffany snickered.

“Aren’t we moving a long a little too fast?” squeaked Jessica, backed up against the corner of the cubicle again.

“You waited two months for me to get your hints. I suffered two months of misunderstandings about you… I’d say we waited long enough for this.

Tiffany took her training tee off and wriggled out of her trainings pants leaving her standing in front of Jessica in nothing but a sports bra and . Jessica couldn’t help staring. She had in fact envisioned this scene many times when she looked at Tiffany in the showers. Her shifty eyes were a result of those dirty thoughts.

“Like what you see?”

Jessica nodded, momentarily speechless. Her face was as red as ketchup.

Tiffany giggled. A speechless, blushing Jessica was just way too cute.

“I’m just teasing you Jessi. Take it as pay back for your shifty eyes freaking me out. I won’t push you if you’re not ready. Just, don’t let me wait too long, or I’ll get mad.”

Tiffany smiled as she stepped out of the cubicle, closing the door behind her.

Jessica reached out and bolted it fast before clutching her towel over her wild, thumping heart.


+++


Sunny stepped into the building with a heavy heart. All the memories that were locked up in a compartment of her mind were unleashed at once. She could see him walking in, smiling at her, all ready for the day’s adventures.

Today would be the second round of investigations into the op that had gone awry – the op that had cost her a very good friend and partner. She smiled weakly at the superiors in the panel and the questions began. She answered them best as she could, each question evoking unpleasant memories that had her grimacing. She was absolutely drained at the end of the investigation session and she couldn’t wait to get out of the building.


+++


It was a stealth op. she sneaked into the building with Sungmin following close behind her. All decked out in black, they blended in with the shadows as they entered the facility. Their aim was to retrieve a data disc that had been leaked by an agent gone rogue and to destroy all other storage and copies of the classified data.

She heard Seohyun’s voice in her ear piece.

“Sunsun, two persons headed down your aisle, Sunsun do you copy.”

“Roger that.”

“Roger that.”

Sungmin and Sunny laid low in wait for the two unsuspecting guards. As soon as they passed by, Sun and Sun stepped out and knocked them out cold with a quick strike to Stomach 9 – the Adam’s apple. They caught the two guards before they hit the floor and dragged them quietly into a storage space, out of sight.

They progressed to the data storage room which was of course locked down by a secure mechanism. Sungmin took out a card and swiped it before punching in some numbers that Hyoyeon had hacked for them. They heard a click and pushed the door open cautiously. All was quiet.

They slipped in quietly and looked for the database in question.

“Found it,” hissed Sunny, beckoning Sungmin to come over.

He looked at the data and nodded. That was it. He punched in a series of commands and numbers that Hyoyeon had provided and inserted a USB transmitter into the machine.

“Hyo… we’re in…” reported Sungmin. Sunny was at the door, looking out for signs of danger.

“Good. I’m connected. A minute is all I’ll need.” Hyoyeon’s confident voice came through the ear piece.

Sunny thought she heard something. She listened hard again but heard nothing this time. Still, she was certain that something was up. She hurried back to Sungmin and nudged him.

“I heard something.”

“Thirty seconds…” Hyoyeon’s voice came through again.

A disc slid out of the machine. Sungmin grabbed it and put it into his pocket. The machine was now entering deletion mode. All remaining copies of the data would be wiped out.

Sunny was back at the door. A shadow appeared around the corner. Her eyes widened in alarm. Seohyun had not mentioned anything yet but she definitely saw a shadow. Sure enough, a tall, burly man appeared at the end of the corridor.

Sunny closed the door silently and whispered, “Seo, is there anyone in the corridor now?”

“No.” was the affirmative answer.

Sunny sensed that something had gone very wrong. She hurried to Sungmin as he was removing the USB transmitter from the machine and shutting it down. The process was complete. They had the disc. Now, they had to get out.

“There’s a man in the corridor but Seo says she doesn’t see anyone. I think there’s a trap somewhere. We got to get out fast.”

“Seo, we need back up pronto. We’re in trouble.”

Sungmin nodded. There was no other way out of the room except for the door. They stood still beside the door and hear the footsteps of that man drawing nearer and nearer. The footsteps stopped at the door momentarily and the door swung open. Sun and Sun flattened themselves against the wall as the man strode in. They exchanged knowing looks and made a dash for it. The man spun round in surprise and shouted at them but they were already sprinting down the corridor as quickly as they could.

The stealth op had turned into a full blown shoot out. They sprinted down the corridors at top speed, dodging bullets that whizzed past their ears, heading back the same way they had entered.

Seohyun’s voice reported the arrival of back up at the ground floor. They dashed down the stairs in the stairwell, shooting some men dead along the way. Just as they got to the ground floor, a side door opened suddenly and a man appeared with a gun in his hand. His gun was aimed at Sunny when he pulled the trigger but Sungmin yelled “WATCH OUT!” and flung himself at her. She was knocked to the ground by him and their back up rushed in just in time to shoot that man. They hauled Sungmin and Sunny out of the building and onto the waiting getaway van before slamming the doors shut and leaving the premises.

Once on the van, Sunny checked on Sungmin right away but he was already dead. The bullet had caught him in his neck. His chances for survival were zilch. Her tears fell on his serene unfeeling face as she sobbed and pleaded in vain for him to come back.


+++


Sunny woke up screaming and sobbing again. That op had become a recurring nightmare for her and she had not gotten a single peaceful night’s rest ever since that night. Having gone through that investigation earlier in the day only made it more vivid and heart wrenching.

She wiped her tears away and got up to get a glass of water. As she passed by the bedside table, her mobile lit up.

Who in the world would text me at two in the morning?

I can’t sleep. Call me if you’re awake.

Taeyeon

Sunny dialed her number immediately.