Light 12.5

299 792 458 m/s

Light 12.5

 

 

Sunny blinked several times, trying to make sense of what Seohyun had just said to her.

 

‘They want me to eliminate you.’ The taller girl sobbed. ‘You have to disappear for a while unnie – at least till I get the traitor who backstabbed all of us. Don’t worry unnie… I will get that assh*le and make him pay for hurting you and killing Sungmin oppa.’

 

Sunny gasped. It all made sense to her now. Seohyun… her dearest dongsaeng who had always been sweet and kind… was angry. Perhaps raging mad would be more fitting – plain anger didn’t seem adequate to describe the extent of Seohyun’s emotions right now. She knew how protective Seohyun was of those whom she loves.

 

 

+++

 

 

Young Seohyun was a sweet, kind and rather carefree girl who had led a normal life until bad guys came and wrecked hell on her loving family on that one fateful day. Her father had been at the wrong place, at the wrong time and it ended in bloodshed for him. Seohyun would have joined her family in heaven if wasn’t for Sunny. It’d been a case she’d been working on and she had received a tip off about an impending massacre at the Seo’s household. She hastened to the home just in time to save Seohyun from being shot point blank in the head.

 

It had been an awful time for Seohyun who didn’t want to live after seeing her family members dropping like flies right in front of her. She screamed, cried, sobbed, wailed, hurt herself… until Sunny gave her a reason to live – to exterminate more bad guys and save others like herself from such terrors. That reason to live turned her life around. No longer was she that cheerful, carefree young adult… she had turned into a lean, mean machine out for vengeance and she got it.

 

She was the top trainee and best recruit of her year. Her brilliance, calm and collectedness as well as extreme level of meticulousness led her to become NSI’s top strategist and operations planner. She had the foresight to predict all possible scenarios which she would plan backup plans for. Her planning was immpecable. She never had an operation fail under her watch… until that fateful operation that saw Sungmin leave their team forever.

 

Her heart broke as she saw her dearest Sunny unnie break down; how painful it must be for someone as strong as Sunny to break down the way she did… to have the nightmares every night… to lose the ability to stay on in the team… to be suspended from duty… to be investigated by NSI… all these things happened because of that traitor. She was determined to avenge the pain inflicted on Sunny but Boa had not been supportive of her becoming a double agent. Her request was declined and rightly so… Boa knew all too well that Seohyun was too blinded by rage to conduct the mission safely.

 

‘No…’ Boa had gently explained to Seohyun. ‘We have plans to send somebody else… she is still in training but she will graduate soon. We have already spotted her keen abilities in the field.’

 

‘When is she graduating?’

 

‘In a few months time.’

 

‘With all due respect Boa, I feel that that’s too long to wait.’

 

‘Some things can’t be rushed Seo. You – our most revered strategist should be able to understand that better than anyone.’

 

Seohyun sighed. There was no getting through to Boa. She knew that Boa had a very good point but she wasn’t going to let the matter rest. She’d take matters into her own hands. She had the contacts; she had the plan.

 

 

+++

 

 

‘Seo… I’m okay now… I don’t suffer from nightmares anymore… I’m back in the field as you can see. Sungmin… we will always miss him but that’s no reason for you to endanger yourself as a double agent Seo.’

 

Seohyun opened to protest but Sunny didn’t give her a chance to speak. She rattled right on, pausing only to breathe.

 

‘I can’t lose you after losing Sungmin. That would be like losing a sister after losing a brother. Seo… listen to me… pull out of this while you still can.’

 

Seohyun shook her head stubbornly. Stubbornness was definitely one of her most fatalistic shortcomings. ‘I’m very close to finding out who it was.’

 

Sunny grew increasingly anxious as the implications of Seohyun’s actions began to dawn on her.

 

‘Seo… Boa’s got an undercover in there looking for the mole. What if they think that it’s you? What if you get killed by the undercover or worse still… what if you killed the undercover by mistake?’

 

‘The undercover is already in the organization?’ Seohyun sounded surprised.

 

Sunny nodded vigorously. ‘She’s in and she’s working her way into the trusted circle really quick. Boa chose well… she’s good. Seo… Boa needs to know. This whole thing could blow up and take both you and the undercover down if we aren’t careful.’

 

Seohyun looked uncertain. Everything that Sunny had said made perfect sense but still…

 

‘Seo… this isn’t a request. If you still regard me as your unnie who saved your life… tell Boa. This is an order from your unnie.’

 

If not for the severity of the situation, one would have found it ridiculously funny to see a trussed up captive ordering her captor around like that but neither girl found the situation funny at all.

 

Seohyun sighed. Sunny had pulled the trump card on her. She could never disobey an order from Sunny. Most reluctantly, she nodded.

 

‘I will come clean with Boa.’

 

‘Good. Now please untie me, my arms are numb.’

 

‘Oh… sorry unnie! And er… I’m sorry for knocking you out on the roof top last night. I had no other choice but to do that…’

 

Seohyun got rid of her bonds and rubbed her arms gently to nurse them back to normality. Sunny sat up on the bed and pulled Seohyun into a tight embrace.

 

‘Seo… dear Seo… please take care of yourself. Your own life is precious too you know…’

 

‘I owe my life to you unnie…’

 

‘Yes… precisely… your life was saved by me so don’t you go squandering it without my permission.’

 

Sunny pulled away and looked into Seohyun’s eyes kindly.

 

Seohyun teared and nodded.

 

Sunny smiled and the two girls hugged for a long, long time.

 

 

+++

 

 

Boa was livid.

 

‘Seohyun! YOU –‘

 

Sunny stepped forward and bowed low. ‘Please forgive Seo. She was doing it for me.’

 

‘I know that. That’s precisely why I declined her request in the first place. I knew that you’d come after my neck if I let Seo do such a dangerous mission. Besides, she is too emotionally invested in this case. There was no way I was going to let her handle it. Not then… and not now!’

 

Boa’s eyes were boring holes in Seohyun’s head. If looks could kill… Seohyun was most definitely be stone cold by now. Then her eyes softened considerably and she sighed. She typed rapidly on her computer and transferred some data onto a memory stick.

 

‘Here. Read it and wipe it out after. Our undercover’s details are all in there. I will also inform the undercover about your presence in the organization. I want the two of you to find out who the real mole is and undercover the motives of the target organization ASAP.’

 

Seohyun stiffen. ‘This means that…’

 

‘YES!’ Boa snapped. ‘That does not mean that you have gotten away scot-free Seo. I will have to deal you your fair share of penalties for disobeying your superiors and also acting on your own, putting other teammates in danger.

 

‘I understand.’

 

‘Good. Now leave. I have a headache to nurse.’ Boa rubbed her temples with her fingers, groaning softly.

 

 

+++

 

 

‘Send me to a place will you?’

 

‘Where to?’

 

‘The Prime Minisiter’s home.’

 

‘WHAT?’

 

‘You heard me.’

 

‘I heard you but I’m not sure I heard you right.’

 

‘Oh… you heard me right.’

 

‘Why are you going there?’

 

‘I have a friend there.’

 

‘A friend?’

 

‘Yes, a friend.’

 

‘I’ve never known you to have friends out of what we do.’

 

‘Well I made a new friend while I was suspended.’

 

‘Oh.’

 

‘Yes, now will you send me there? Please?’

 

‘Okay… but how do I get in.’

 

‘I’ll show my face.’

 

Seohyun gaped at Sunny.

 

‘Show your face? What? Do they all recognise you?’

 

‘Yes.’

 

‘…’

 

‘I’ve been there several times now. There aren’t that many visitors so it’s easy for them to remember me.’

 

‘Who’s this friend of yours then? She works in there?’

 

‘She’s family.’

 

‘Family?’

 

‘The daughter.’

 

‘Of?’

 

‘The Prime Minister.’

 

‘THE WHAT?’

 

‘She’s the daughter of the Prime Minister.’

 

‘How?’

 

‘We happened to meet one night. Meeting her changed my life… to say the least.’

 

‘Sounds intriguing.’

 

‘We can chat some other time Seo.’

 

‘You seem… anxious… impatient… that’s unusual.’

 

‘What? Have you turned into my shrink now?’

 

‘I can read you well Sunny. I think something fishy is up with you and the PM’s girl.’

 

‘My, my aren’t we all mind readers now.’ Sunny quipped dryly.

 

‘So you’ll tell me all about you and the PM’s girl?’

 

‘Yes, but not now.’

 

‘Okay, I’ll send you there but remember… please stay out of sight until we complete the mission.’

 

‘Gladly. I’m treating this as a free vacation.’

 

‘Stay safe unnie.’

 

‘Right back at you Seo.’

 

 

+++

 

 

Sunny didn’t have a chance to speak. She didn’t even have a chance to look at her properly. A pair of soft, warm lips engulfed hers the moment she opened the door. She was pulled into the room and the door was kicked shut by an overzealous, extremely relieved and exceedingly estatic girl.

 

‘Mmm…’

 

‘I… hate…. you…’ Taeyeon hissed, in between fiery, urgent kisses. ‘I… hate… you…’

 

The older girl couldn’t help but grin when she felt Sunny grinning on her lips.

 

Their lips were red and swollen when they finally parted; so intense was their liplocking. They stood in the middle of the room, in each other’s arms, panting away. They pressed their foreheads on each other and breathed together. Taeyeon’s hands couldn’t get enough of Sunny. They roamed everywhere – down her thighs, up and over her , hips, waist coming to rest on her bosom.

 

Her fingers were deft and Sunny was left clothless in under thirty seconds. The younger girl blushed to the roots of her hair while her eyes scrutinized the body in front of her keenly. Satisfied that there were no major injuries of any kind on her body, Taeyeon finally smiled.

 

‘Hi.’ Taeyeon whispered.

 

‘Hi.’ Sunny whispered in return, feeling extremely uneasy being so exposed and vunerable. She was aware that this situation was highly ironic. She was the all-star, efficient, lean and mean secret agent who could wipe out a truckload of mean thugs but she was so defenseless when it came to Taeyeon. Shaking her head, she laughed softly to herself.

 

‘What are you laughing about?’

 

‘Oh… a private joke.’

 

‘A private joke? One involving your privates I hope…’ Taeyeon’s eyes glinted with mischief, lust and adrenaline boosted by the relief from knowing that Sunny was back with her.

 

Sunny blushed a deeper red and swatted Taeyeon’s arm shyly. ‘Taeyeon!’

 

Taeyeon chuckled. Sunny smiled. All was right again in their worlds.

 

‘I’m staying in this room for the next few days. I’m not going anywhere.’

 

‘Woah? And we discussed this… when did we discuss this?’

 

‘I assume that you’d be more than happy to accommodate me in your bedroom.’

 

‘And you will be here in the capacity as? My slave?’

 

‘Taeyeon!’ Sunny swatted her arm in admonishment.

 

‘HAHAHA… just kidding. I’m more than happy to keep you in here… with me… just the two of us.’

 

‘You aren’t going to skip school are you?’ Sunny narrowed her eyes.

 

Taeyeon rolled her eyes up and whistled nonchalantly, ignoring Sunny’s question.

 

‘Ya. I will have none of that. Go to school. I want to attend your graduation ceremony.’

 

‘And what will you do in here all by yourself?’

 

‘Think of you and what I’m going to do to you when you get back.’ Sunny’s mischievous grin finally made a comeback.

 

‘Mmm I like the sound of that… very much… alright then… I will go to school.’

 

‘Good girl.’

 

‘Good girls should receive generous rewards.’

 

‘Oh… I will take care of that.’

 

‘You will?’ Taeyeon’s face lit up like a Christmas tree on a vengeance.

 

‘Oh yes I will.’ Sunny’s devilish grin held much promise and Taeyeon’s loins ached with heat and desire.

 

 

+++

 

 

Tiffany faced Seohyun for the first time. They shook hands and sat down.

 

‘Now that there’s two of you… this operation should be completed before the end of the month. We want this case cracked ASAP.’

 

Tiffany and Seohyun nodded briskly – there was no room for any nonsense now.

 

‘We have information that both of you are working under the same man. My sources have revealed to me that his name is Siwon. You are already at the second tier of the organization – where our mole was last known to report to. The mole has been rather quiet so far, perhaps sensing that we’re on the lookout.’

 

Tiffany and Sehyun looked at each other grimly, silently acknowledging the uphill task of unmasking the mole and also perhaps unearthing more information about the organization.

 

‘Stay safe and do what you can.’ Boa looked at the two of them steadily.

 

Tiffany nodded and got up to leave.

 

Seohyun left shortly after.

 

Boa stayed to enjoy her cup of coffee.

 

 

+++

 

 

A little boy stood outside of her door holding a pink rose and a tub of strawberry ice cream.

 

Jessica’s heart pounded wildly as she took the rose and ice cream. She knew better than to ask for information – the boy would not be able to tell her anything. He had been bribed; she could see the dollar bill sticking out from his pocket. She smiled, thanked the boy and closed the door.

 

Tiffany… where are you now? Whatever it is you’re doing… please be safe. I changed my mind… it’s unlimited rounds for LIFE if you make it back to me safe and sound.