Light 01

299 792 458 m/s

Just a few bits of information so that we don't get confused :)

This is the real start of the story. The prologue is what happens a year from now.

Sunny is already an agent here. She interacts with Taeyeon like a civilian because she has to keep her agent identity a secret. She has been suspended as an agent for the time being though... you will find out why in the later updates.

JeTi are agents in training. They will graduate to be rookie agents.

and remember, I love to hear your opinions on the story so do share it :D

 

 

 

 

April

 

+ One year ago +

 

 

It was an ordinary night - cold, dark and windy. The streets below the girl were devoid of any signs of activity. She sat on the edge of the building, dangling her legs over the side. You hope fervently that this isn't what it looks like but it is. The girl was about to kill herself. She wasn't sobbing or crying or tearing even. She was a picture of perfect calm. Rather unusual for a person who was about to end their life, might I add. She had attained this state of calm by coming to the decision to kill herself. It would end everything, she realized, and in that instant, all her grief, loneliness and hopelessness left her. Knowing that she would soon be free from this wretched world brought a strange sensation which she labelled as happiness. She knew that it wasn’t really but she was beyond caring about details like that anyway.

 

She flexed her arms and placed her palms on the surface she was sitting on; ready to push herself off the edge, but a sudden tug on her collar strangled her neck and had her falling backwards back onto the rooftop instead. 

 

She let out a tiny scream which turned into a grunt as she landed on the cold, hard concrete floor with a loud thud. Her arms instinctively reached out to break her fall, her elbows getting grazed in the process. As she lay flat on the floor, trying to blink the stars away from her eyes, a dark figure hovered over her and leaned down towards her face. Her senses were heightened when a cold palm caressed her cheek. Then she heard a soft voice by her ear. 

 

"Are you feeling alright?"

 

She laughed. 

 

The dark figure flinched slightly, seemingly taken aback by her response. 

 

"Like I would feel good right now? What kind of answer do you expect to get from me?" she wheezed.

 

"Can you sit up?" The dark figure supported her as she hoisted herself into a sitting position with her arms.

 

Now that she was in a sitting position, the moonlight no longer shone in her eyes and she found herself staring into a pair of molten chocolate brown eyes. It wasn’t just her beauty that took her breath away. It was a sense of connection – the connection made between them at the speed of light. The girl hugged her tightly and rubbed her palms up and down her back.

 

She’s comforting me.

 

A smile found its way onto her poker face. She smiled genuinely for the first time in the past two months. The embrace was warm and soothing like honey. She felt a spark somewhere inside her and her stone cold heart thumped that little bit faster.

 

She almost whined out loud when she felt the girl pulling away from her, ending the hug between them and her arms flew up, wrapping themselves around the girl, pulling her back close again.

 

“I want more.” She mumbled and nestled her face in the shoulder-length brown hair.

 

The girl chuckled and continued hugging her. The sound of her chuckle was like water trickling down in a desert. She tightened her hug and squeezed the girl harder.

 

“I’m Taeyeon, what’s your name?” asked the girl softly.

 

“Sunny.”

 

She had used her real name. O M G. How did that happen? She wasn’t supposed to reveal her real name to anyone. You never know when it could be traced back to you. How could she – a top secret operative – have been as careless as she just was? Then again, she was no longer a secret operative, let alone a top one. Yes, she had forgotten about that. Her name didn’t matter anymore. Yes, she was back to being civilian Sunny again. That’s fine too.

 

The girl chuckled again.

 

“Why?”

 

“I’m sorry… it seems inappropriate but… what you were about to do is really the opposite of your name.”

 

Sunny felt her heart freezing over at the mention of her suicide attempt. She snapped back to reality and pushed the girl away from her with a surprising force that the girl did not see coming from such a petite girl and thus, she ended up sprawling on the floor. Sunny gasped and apologized repeatedly for pushing the girl so hard. She offered her hand to help her up but the girl tugged at her hand suddenly, causing her to sprawl on top of her.

 

“Hey, what do you th –“

 

She didn’t get to finish her sentence as the girl had begun laughing; a nice happy sound that rang in her ears, tingling her senses. Then she laughed too. She didn’t know why she was laughing but the girl’s laughter was so infectious that she couldn’t help but to join in.

 

Their laughter died down after a few moments and they lay on the floor, looking into each other’s eyes, both unwilling to be the first to break the contact.

 

As she gazed into the dark brown eyes of the girl on her, the brunette felt a sudden urge to do something crazy. She wasn’t the most sociable person in the world and neither was she a flirt but there was something about this girl that made every move of hers look sensual. Finding no reason to resist, she kissed Sunny blatantly on her lips.

 

Sunny pulled away in shock but the brunette had her arms locked fast around her neck and so she ended up rolling over to the side and somehow or rather, the brunette ended up on top of her instead. She smirked and made full use of the positional advantage she now had over Sunny to press harder down on her lips. Sunny remained stiff under the girl with her eyes wide open and looked at the face that was practically plastered on hers, her soft, brown hair, falling around her face.

 

The brunette stopped suddenly.

 

“Why aren’t you kissing me back?”

 

“Why should I?”

 

“I’m not good at it?”

 

“I wouldn’t say that.”

 

“Then, why not?”

 

“Coz my teacher told me not to kiss strangers.”

 

“I’m not a stranger.”

 

“Yes you are.”

 

“You know my name.”

 

“I don’t know you.”

 

“Lots of people kiss knowing way less than that.”

 

“I’m not those people.”

 

“Fine, so kiss me because I saved you.”

 

“I never asked to be saved.”

 

“But you are thankful that I did.”

 

“No I’m not.”

 

“Yes you are.”

 

“I’d rather be dead.”

 

“You’d rather die than to kiss me?”

 

The brunette feigned an indignant look and pouted.

 

Sunny erupted into peals of laughter. She felt strangely comfortable with this stranger. She hadn’t talked this much to anyone in months but she had to admit that it felt really good to finally talk to somebody like that.

 

The brunette chuckled. She enjoyed that little exchange as well. It’s been years since anyone had dared to talk to her like that. Everywhere she went, people were usually cautiously polite to her, hardly ever daring to speak so casually.

 

“This isn’t a dream, is it?” asked Sunny.

 

The brunette shook her head smilingly.

 

“It sure is pretty damn bizarre so far.”

 

Cold fingers pinched the tip of her nose.

 

“Ouch! What was that for?!” yelled Sunny, smacking the cold fingers away from her face.

 

The girl giggled and said, “You asked if it was a dream.”

 

“I didn’t ask to be pinched.”

 

“That was my answer. Some questions are better answered in action than in words.”

 

“You’re just taking revenge coz I didn’t kiss you back.”

 

“I’m not that petty.”

 

“Mmm… but you are very pretty.”

 

Sunny’s hand flew to , covering it in surprise. Those words had slipped out of without much thought.

 

The brunette chuckled again. Sunny smiled.

 

Her chuckle is so adorable.

 

“I’m pretty but you still won’t kiss me.”

 

“Are you a ert?”

 

“That depends.”

 

“On?”

 

“Who I’m with.”

 

Sunny blinked. She had no comeback for that.

 

“Who are you?”

 

“I’m the girl who saved you. You better remember that.”

 

“Kim Taeyeon.” The brunette stood up and brushed her jeans clean.

 

“Remember my name. Call me.” She slipped a name card into Sunny’s jeans pocket and walked away.

 

“What if I don’t?” asked Sunny.

 

“Oh… I have a feeling you will…” the girl chirped, waving the back of her hand at her without turning back.

 

 

+++

 

 

Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!

 

She turned and smirked at the girl in the next lane after removing her ear plugs and dismantling her gun. She was certain that she could not be beaten this time.

 

Her accuracy score flashed on the board above her lane.

 

9.88

 

Hah! In your face, Jung.

 

She posed cockily and folded her arms across her chest, waiting for the brunette’s score to show in the next lane.

 

9.89

 

She blinked once.

 

She blinked again.

 

Nooo!

 

The long-haired brunette in the next lane popped her head out and looked at her score. She grinned.

 

“I win!” she cheered with her hand forming a peace sign. Then she whispered cheekily in her ear, “AGAIN.”

 

“Dinner’s on you, Hwang. And so are the drinks!” the older girl reminded her with a hint of amusement in her voice.

 

“I… I hate you!” said the younger girl, stomping out of the shooting range in a huff.

 

The brunette sighed as she dismantled her gun and put away the ear plugs.

 

When will this dense girl get the hint?!

 

Or are my hints really that bad?

 

 

+++

 

 

“Ready to go Hwang?”

 

“Ready and willing are too different matters.” Tiffany mumbled under her breath.

 

“What did you say?”

 

“Nothing… Let’s go. I want to get this over and done with.”

 

“Relax Hwang… It’s just a dinner, it can’t be that bad right?” said Jessica as she casually put her arm around Tiffany’s shoulder.

 

The younger girl shrugged her shoulders violently and walked away from Jessica.

 

“Don’t come so close to me. I’m claustrophobic.”

 

Jessica sighed inwardly and put up her palms in defeat.

 

“Alright, alright, I’m not touching you okay? Now let’s go… I’m really starving.”

 

 

+++

 

 

They sat down in a cosy little BBQ restaurant. Jessica ordered four plates of beef and pork immediately.

 

Tiffany looked at her suspiciously and said, “Are you sure you can eat all that? Or are you trying to eat me into bankruptcy?”

 

Jessica laughed airily. “I ordered enough for the both of us. That wasn’t just for me.”

 

“Oh.”

 

Tiffany looked down at her fingers.

 

“Sorry.”

 

“What for?”

 

“Wrongly accusing you.”

 

Jessica laughed again.

 

“If you’re seriously apologizing for that, once won’t be enough.”

 

“What?”

 

“You’ve wrongly accused me of quite a few things by the way. This is the first and only apology I’ve received from you though.”

 

“What? Did I? When?”

 

Jessica shook her head.

 

“Never mind… what’s past is past.”

 

“No, I insist… Tell me…”

 

“Really?”

 

“Yes.” Tiffany nodded her head seriously.

 

Jessica took a deep breath.

 

“Okay… since you want to know…”

 

“Remember… when that plate of flour dropped on your head during your first month here?”

 

Tiffany nodded angrily. “You were the o –“

 

“Shh…” Jessica placed her index finger on Tiffany’s lips, much to her surprise, effectively shutting her up.

 

“No I was not the one who put it there. In fact, I was trying to take it down when you walked in and opened the door. You started yelling at me before I even had a chance to explain why I was standing on a ladder by the door with my hands raised.”

 

“And that time when you got pushed into the pool during our water training... they wanted to push you in and I was trying to stop them but the floor was slippery and I slipped.”

 

Jessica cleared awkwardly and stopped talking. There were a couple more incidents but she didn’t want to say more. She focused her eyes on the grill which had heated up nicely and began putting the finely sliced beef onto it.

 

Tiffany stayed silent for a long time. She didn’t even eat anything. Jessica wondered if she was alright.

 

“Ya… Hwang… are you alright there?”

 

Tiffany looked deep into Jessica’s coffee brown eyes and saw nothing but concern in them. She felt really guilty right there and then. Jessica had been trying to help her all this while and all she’d done was yell things like ‘I hate you’ and ‘you arrogant punk’ at her. And now… Jessica was still concerned about her.

 

Why?

 

“Why?”

 

Jessica’s eyes looked up from the sizzling beef that was curling up on the grill.

 

“Huh?”

 

“Why?” Tiffany repeated her cryptic question.

 

“Why what?”

 

“Why are you helping me so much? Even after I said that I hate you.”

 

Jessica shifted uncomfortably in her seat. Tiffany noted that.

 

“I’m just being nice, that’s all.”

 

“Tell me the truth.”

 

“It is! You still don’t believe that I’m a nice person?”

 

“I know you’re nice now, but that’s not why you’ve been helping me. Out with it.”

 

“There’s no other reason. I’m just helping a dongsaeng since you’re younger than me.”

 

Tiffany laughed.

 

“I’m only a few months younger than you. Out with it already.”

 

“Ilikeyou.”

 

Jessica rattled the words as quickly as she could whilst stuffing full of beef.

 

“What?”

 

“(Too)Doo bad. I’ll only say id(it) once.” Jessica replied with still full of beef.

 

“YA! JESSICA JUNG!” yelled Tiffany, her temper rising quickly and attracting stares from other patrons of the restaurant. She looked around her apologetically and mouthed ‘sorry’ to the other patrons. They smiled at her and resumed eating.

 

She turned back to Jessica who was still stuffing full of sliced beef and eyeing her warily.

 

“Fine, I’ll stop asking for now,” said Tiffany, narrowing her eyes into slits, “but I’m not going to let you off till you give me the real reason Jung. And stop stuffing beef into your mouth! You’re going to choke to death sooner or later.”

 

Jessica nodded and obeyed her orders, putting down her chopsticks immediately, relieved that she made it through her interrogation this time.

 

As for the next time… well… she’ll worry about that later…