A Human

Between Heaven and Earth

“The Council of Humain Affairs assigned us a human to accommodate for a while” My mom announced.

“A human? Here? In our house?!” I asked.

She nodded. I stood up from my chair and ran and jumped around the table.

“I’ve never met a human before!” I yelled.

“Ruby!” My mom glared at me.

“Sorry mom…” I apologized and sat back down.

“They don’t know exactly when the human will come, but as soon as he or she arrives we have to accommodate him or her in our house. I want you to behave and take care of the human together with me, understood?”

“I understand mom, I’ll behave… can I go out and play now?” I asked.

My mom sighed.

“Fine, have fun” She said with a little smile.

“Thank you mom!” I kissed her on the cheek and went out to the blue tree.

I played on my own by skimming flat stones over the water. I remembered I still had to bring Mr. Kim his plumbob and the get my wings back. I walked up to Mr. Kim’s house and knocked.

“Come in” He said.

I entered and bowed.

“Seems like the council has taught you some manners” Mr. Kim said.

“Good evening Mr. Kim” I said.

I reached out the plumbob to him. He took it and gave me my wings back.

“Don’t ever come into my house again! Understood?!” He said.

I nodded, bowed and left his house. That night I went to bed early and woke up with a massive pain in my back. I decided to stay in my bed for a little while.

“Ruby! Aren’t you going to come out of bed?” My mom shouted.

“I’m coming!” I yelled back.

I got up and changed into some clothes that would cover the wound on my back. I stretched a bit so my back wasn’t so stiff anymore before I went downstairs.

“Good morning mom” I said.

“Good morning angel” She said.

“Would you get me some strawberry’s from the garden?” She asked.

“Of course” I said.

I walked to the garden and picked some strawberry’s.

“Hey Ruby!”

I looked up and saw Ellie.

“Hi Ellie!”

“How’s your back?” She asked.

“It’s fine, I can barely feel it anymore” I said and jumped around.

“You don’t have to lie Ruby” She sadly said.

“Don’t worry, I’ll be fine” I said.

I waved and went inside.

“Here mom, what are you going to make?” I asked.

“I’m going to make a strawberry pie” She answered while gathering all the ingredients.

“Why?’

“Because it won’t take that long anymore before the human is coming and I want to show my baking abilities” She said.

“Ah…”

I was a little jealous, I admit… She did all this trouble only for a human she had never met before. She only baked me a strawberry cake on special occasions, like my birthday. She even knew strawberry cake was my favorite. I walked out of the house and went to the little purple river, where I saw Liam and Ellie.

“Hey Ruby!” Ellie said.

I didn’t greet her back and just sat down near the water.

“What’s wrong? Is your back giving you a hard time?” Liam asked.

“No, it’s the human… My mom is baking a strawberry cake, just because there will be staying a human in our house”

“When is he or she coming?” Ellie asked.

“I don’t know… any time soon” I said.

“Let’s play!” Liam yelled.

I smiled. He always knew how to cheer me up. We chased each other through whole Between Heaven And Earth. When we got tired I climbed in the blue tree and so did Liam and Ellie.

“Look! The view up here is beautiful!” I said.

“She seems to have forgotten about the human and the strawberry cake” Liam whispered to Ellie.

“Did you say anything, Liam?” I asked.

“Huh? Oh… no I didn’t” He answered.

But I had heard him. As long as I could play, everything else didn’t matter. I climbed down and walked along the little purple river.

“Ruby! It’s time!” My mother called me.

“Okay guys, I need to go! Bye!”

“Bye Ruby!” They said in unison.

I entered my house and walked to my mother in the kitchen.

“Hi mom!”

“Hi Ruby, he’s in guest room, will you look if he has woken up already?” My mom asked.

I walked to the guest room and softly pushed down the door handle. The door quietly went open and I walked on my tippy-toes to the bed. I saw a person sleeping on his side in the bed. I bent over the person in an attempt to see the human’s face. Suddenly he his back and I fell back in a fright and landed on the chair behind me. I blinked a few times and leaned forward to see his face. I saw a face that looked like an angel’s face. I leaned my elbows on my knees and my head on my hands and stared at his angelic face. If mother hadn’t told me, I wouldn’t have noticed he wasn’t an angel. He slept peacefully, breathing regularly. His face was just so adorable to look at, he was pure sereneness. He moved his lips a little and I leaned in closer. ‘Oh my goodness, his lashes were so long!’ His eyelids moved and he blinked, I flinched and fell from my chair from the sudden movement. I landed on the floor with a thud.

“Ouch!” I said.

I gasped and felt like I couldn’t breath anymore, the pain in my back took over.
He sat up and looked around. I hid behind the chair, but he looked at me with his deep brown eyes.