Bittersweet Mocha

Kiss Cafe

I sat in my favorite cafe, watching the snowflakes fall outside through the windows. Back home, it never snowed, it only rained. At least here, it was like the greyish white skies were begging for forgiveness for being so dreary.

I slumped in my chair as the thought left my mind, except for one word. Forgiveness.

Something I craved.

Something I wasn't sure I could give.

I took the mug sitting on the small table in front of me and took a sip. Hot homemade cocoa, perfect for winter days like today.

Not perfect for days like today where I tended to mull over painful memories, because I longed to spend this day with someone instead of being alone.

But not just anybody. That someone else you’ve been yearning for.

"I'm sorry, Anna, I just..." He breathed in, fiddling with the brass button over his jean pocket. I knew from that small motion, that seemed so insignificant, gave away that he was nervous.

The only time I had seen him do that before when talking to me was when he confessed. Everything else he had taken in stride with him. And that's why I kept falling for him all this time.

He let out a noisy breath. "I think we should spend time away from each other."

As I stared at him, I felt everything sink into my body. The world around us looked the same, but something felt different. 

Why did everything look the same as all my images of the future were torn apart?

"Why?" Somehow the question came out of my mouth as I tried to wrap my head around this reality. “Why are you asking this of me? Is this a bad dream?”

He looked at me sadly. He didn’t have to say anything; he just had to look at me to let me know that somehow his heart changed, and that I wasn’t dreaming.

And I could think was, if I could see what he was thinking by just looking at him, what was I going to do without him?

I the couple ring that hung on the chain on my neck. Even though I had taken it off my finger, I couldn’t part with it. Wearing it signified to me that I still had a hole in my chest, and nothing had filled it yet.

I hadn’t let go of what we had, even though I knew I should. I just couldn’t.

Every day I would be reminded of memories we shared. The first time I saw him at the library. The hearts he drew on my own classwork to make me laugh about him being a hopeless romantic. Sitting on a certain bench at the park whenever we just wanted to hang out, or sit in silence together.

I looked at a certain group of couches in the café.

“Okay, here we are!” He sang out, uncovering my eyes.

“Wow!”  “How did you even find this place?”

“I was just walking by and thought it was nice. Come on! Let’s try some of their drinks.” He brought us to the counter. “What do you want?”

“I think I’ll take a watermelon smoothie.”

“Okay. Why don’t you sit down over the couches there and I’ll get them for us?”

“Wait, I can’t let you just pay-“

“Anna, just do what I say,” he said with a fake growl.

I shoved him. “Fine you meanie.”

“And that’s why you love me!” He called out as I walked away.

I stuck my tongue at him and sat down. How did I ever think the summer was going to be boring? I was dragged to so many places now, I lost count. I played with the shreds of denim hanging from the hem of my shorts as I waited.

“Here you go!” He plopped right beside me, handing me a cup with pink crushed ice inside and a straw through the top.

“Thanks!” I took the cup and sipped. Sweet, cold goodness ran through my tongue. “Mmm.”

“Do you like it?”

“I like it a lot.” I smiled. “How’s your drink?”

“Tasty. Want to try it?”

I nodded, and he handed his drink over. I sipped and tasted the bittersweet taste of mocha.

“What do you think?”

“It’s good, but I think I like my smoothie better. Here, try it!” I put my cup in front of him.

He obeyed and sipped. “Mmm, sweet. Just like you.”

I blinked. “What?”

He fiddled the brass button on his jeans as he looked at me. “You’re sweet, humble, and a lot of fun. I like you, Anna. Will you go out with me?”

And spend every day like this? A smile grew on my face. “Yes. I’ll go out with you, Minseok.”

I was a fool, to take the happiness he offered to me for granted. He took away the smile on my face the same ease he put it on my face when he had been with me.

Why did I still want him?

Why couldn’t I make myself whole again and become that independent Anna I used to be?

It was like there was ice in a part of me I couldn’t melt since I was becoming frozen myself. I did try to see the other guys out there, but I was so engrossed in my own pain, I couldn’t give them a chance.

They say time helps heal the pain, but how much time could it possibly take?

My phone beeped, saying the temperature had now dropped five degrees before freezing. There was a warning for icy roads. I downed the rest of my drink, letting the sweet, rich taste give me temporary happiness as it warmed me from head to toe. I returned the mug to the counter and headed towards the door.

Before I could open the door and leave, the bell tinkled as someone else entered and blocked my path.

Time seem to slow down as my eyes took in what happened. The man also stopped, staring at me.

“Anna?”

My throat clogged up for a second. “Minseok,” I whispered. 

 

[A/N] Now you guys decide what you want to happen! Should she forgive him? Or just walk away?

...and I guess if you don't comment, I'll be ending the series.

Honestly, I need to do that at some point since I barely update on this series anymore, and I feel bad for dragging it out. I just think I'm past the naive romance theme now. 

However, if you guys have any requests for pairings and you let me know, I'll see what I can do :)