Set Me Free

Kiss Cafe

"Nana, why are you giving this to me?" I hold the key necklace in my hands. I saw it on my grandfather's neck until the day he died.

"Because it's your birthright." I gaze at her face marked with age. "We are Libras. This is to protect us and punish those who tarnish true love. Use it wisely, my sweetheart."

*

My hands are curled arond the cup, my fingers barely covering the Kiss Cafe logo. I don't even know why I remember the cup-maybe it's because I was staring there, too nervous to look at him.

"Ronnie?" I looked up into his hazel eyes. They never failed to entrance me, with their depth, their array of different colors. I quickly looked back down again, embarrassed. I fiddle with the key necklace. Will I ever get the courage to give it away?

"You know, you can tell me anything. You can trust me," his silky voice passes over my ears. How many days had I obsessed over his way of making simple words into a song? Anything he did could make heart beat faster, or even stop. "I will listen."

"I know." I took in a deep breath. What did he want."

"I...I think I like you Ronnie."

What? I gaze back into his eyes, searching for the truth. His gaze is clear, unwavering.

"You don't have to say anything. I...I just wanted you to know."

"I like you too, Adrian."

He clasps my hand, his grip hopeful.

*

"I love you Ronnie." He sits next to me, our hips touching. Expectation sits in his eyes.

I swallow. Am I ready? I am. I can see him by my side forever. I squeeze his hand. "I love you too."

Relief comes flooding into his face. I took off my necklace. "It's a tradition in my family that you wear this."

He takes it, still not understanding. But I feel like I can fly.

*

"Where do you think you're going?"

"I'm going to home to work on my project."

"No you're not." He grabs my arm, forcing me to turn around. His eyes are blazing, his hazel eyes getting deeper by the minute. "I can see you-John is going to be waiting for you."

"Ew! Why would John wait for me?!"

"You love him instead of me." His grip tightens.

"That's not true!" His accusation feels like steel shards piercing my heart. "I love you!" I wince as I hear my statement sound like a plea, and look at the necklace for help.

He doesn't follow my gaze. "Don't lie to me!"

"Adrian! You are hurting me!"

Finally he lets go, but his expression doesn't change. "I'll be watching you."

Even when I reach home, tears are still streaming down my face.

"Ronnie!" My nana embraces me.

"Nana," I said, my throat all choked up. "He doesn't believe that I love him."

She stares into my face. "Did you give him the necklace?"

I nodded.

She smiles and whispers into my ear.

*

Adrian. Dark one. I should have known from his name.

I can see him. He's got a girl pushed up against his car. And it is the last time my heart will be set on him.

I get out of the car and slam the door shut. They jump at the noise, but I don't care about subtlety. The girl slinks away in the shadows, but there he still stands.

He smirks. "It's what you get for cheating on me. I know you are even if you say you don't."

I don't even bother to respond. I reach over and yank the necklace. He doesn't deserve to wear my symbol of affection.

"What are you doing?" he says, his voice scratchy as he tries to stop me, clawing in the air.

Finally I manage to unclasp it. As it comes into my hand, I put it around my neck, where it belongs.

"The heck was that?" Adrian said, clutching his neck.

I stick my hand, just to make sure. My arm passes right through. I smile with satisfaction.

His eyes bulge out. "What did you do?!"

"I made the world a better place. You never had a heart in the first place. I won't let you steal another and break it." I open my car door from behind me. "Good luck as a ghost."

Never mess with the children of Venus.